TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011

Thread: Elite: Dangerous (Elite is back)

The stuff you'd get by mining, does that go under cargo or materials?

Anyway, I managed to get my first engineers' modifications, which felt surprisingly momentous. Yay!

The things you get by mining, they're commodities and not materials, right? So it might work with those - although it might be difficult to find the person in a wing who'd be willing to do the boring task of mining.

Anyway, I've got my first engineers' upgrade today, and it felt strangely momentous. Looking forward to seeing how much of a difference it's made!

Seems like high-gravity planets and ship AI don't mix very well...

Even though it seems I'm the only one posting in this thread, perhaps there are some people reading it... Update 2.2 (for Horizons) is coming out today, and it looks like there are a lot of cool, interesting changes:

If I'm not mistaken, 2.3 should have player-manned crews, which I'm really looking forward to. At least in theory, that is; I could imagine that it'll be difficult to turn this into consistently interesting gameplay - also since one of the problems of Elite, acknowledged even by those who love the game, is that there's already too much gameplay that is grindy and not particularly interesting.

Players are always asking for disparate types of gameplay to interact with each other, but rarely think about the fact that the typical marine in StarCraft is ordered into a bunker and stays there the entire game (or until it gets nuked). (Sorry for the StarCraft example, was just playing that recently for no particular reason.) It's just... When you make a game, you tune the experience. (Well, usually.) Generally you heavily clip out the parts of the simulation that are boring. But when you're mixing different simulations, what's boring in one is crucial in the other. It's a tough problem to solve.

This is lovely: a guy called Cmdr Bomba Luigi got stranded in his SRV after his ship's autopilot ended up getting the ship destroyed. With no way to escape, Bomba Luigi was alone on that planet... until people started showing up to support him, drop supplies, even carry him back and forth. Here's a short video of the goings-ons on Planet Wilson:

I'm only playing 3-4 hours of Elite each week, but that might be the best way to enjoy the game. Yesterday I finally upgraded to an Asp Explorer, and while the ship is less agile than my Cobra MkIII, it's gorgeous for exploring - the cockpit offers a wonderfully panoramic view of your surroundings, compared to many of the more cramped cockpits/canopies. It's pretty perfect in VR, and it means that I should finally move outside my little bubble of inhabited space towards the more weird and wonderful areas.

Level 10,000 achieved
    ED is getting a new expansion early next year, featuring the inclusion of the hi-tech sci-fi concept known as HAVING LEGS.

I've said it before that the surface missions in the SRV feel like Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri missions, but being able to jetpack around without a vehicle will amplify that feeling further. And what's that, a BLUE SKY? We're gonna get planets with actual atmospheres as well? Oh my, I'm kinda hyped for this.

Thing What Kicks
    Huh, that might actually get me playing the game again.

Same here. I don't actually mind all that much that Elite Dangerous turned out as shallow as it did, because even like this I played and enjoyed it for dozens of hours. If they now add gameplay elements that are interesting and fun, I'll be happy to return for another few dozen hours.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011