TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Sales Of Summer

I'm looking at my wishlist, seeing some pretty good discounts (up to 80 percent), but I can't seem to muster up any enthusiasm. Might be a case of what others have already said before me: I just prefer to work on my own projects at the moment.

Now would be a good time to get a couple, though, but would I be getting them just because of it being a good deal or because I 'm really interested in playing them!? At the end of the day, it would just be a diversion from the things I'd rather do, and I still have all the games from the recent Itch bundle to play.

Might also be a case of the market being oversaturated and therefore overwhelming -- or a case of overshadowing from the games I'm really excited about, but which never seems to get released.

Yeh I have so many games from previous sales that bought cos they were a good deal, that I have barely touched.
    So was it REALLY a good deal?

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    Edit: Looking at my list, I might pick up Black Mesa and tell myself it's not an amateur project and not technically a game I've played before. Parts in videos looked quite nice.
    I paid full price for it as soon as the full version was released and liked it a lot, I found it worth the money I paid for it. But then again I was a huge Half-Life fan back in the day.

Chakat sex pillow
    It's fairly polished, with some changes (big ones in cases like Xen) to the levels. I actually don't see much difference between it and a normal finished product from a mainstream studio, which is pretty great for something that started off as a fan mod. They gave it plenty of love, and it shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    20% off Stilt Fella? Phhhht. Karaski is 30% off and that's like 3x the game at least.
    Well yes, but one of those literally and figuratively crashed and burned, sooo.... ;P

Quote Originally Posted by PigLick View Post
    Yeh I have so many games from previous sales that bought cos they were a good deal, that I have barely touched.
    So was it REALLY a good deal?
    Mhm. *nods in agreement*

There's still time to decide, though. Might get Else Heart.Break() (because I've been wanting to take a look at its programming mechanic), The Blind Prophet (because long-time P&C fan and the soundtrack sounds like it could be my thing), maybe RiME (because exploration), maybe Blind Spot, and maybe one or two more.

Trüberbrook is interesting, because of how it was built, although I've heard it suffers from a slight tedium in the mechanics and a few degrees of moonlogic. VirtuaVerse has great style and is P&C, although not discounted that much. I've heard good things about The Red Strings Club and Coffee Talk. Californium is interesting, because Dick, although I'm not yet convinced that the colourful art style is really my thing, but might still be worth it if the story lives up to its promise. Shapik: The Moon Quest looks like a weird mix of Samorost and... Cyberpunk?, but might be a little too cute. The Longing is... well... interesting, although idling games isn't so much my thing.

etc...

Edit:
    This is probably a good time to prune my wishlist a bit.
    Last edited by qolelis; 27th Jun 2020 at 04:11.

Well I got Black Mesa and Rimworld as promised. When you buy one game you get an extra discount on the 2nd. I have a long wishlist, but I've learned to pace myself for most of them, only adding one at the next sale when I've finished another. But I know I'm going to play Black Mesa soon, and the thing about Rimworld is it's literally never had a sale, and this doubled up the Summer Sale discount and the discount for buying the first game.

And I already played some of Rimworld. I can see why people find it addicting. It has pretty much the same complexity and procedural richness as Dwarf Fortress, but it's a lot more intuitive and accessible. And it has a certain charm. I was trying to get my botinist to help out with the construction, and she walked off and laid down in a field to watch clouds for a while. She also has a bit of a quiet sociopathic bent to her, but fortunately she stays away from the others anyway. And she's also the only one I've got that's good with a gun. I've been watching people roll spamming for good stats, but I'm already finding it better just to go with whatever random lot you get. More colorful that way.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Or Fallout 4 where there are almost no villages/towns anywhere (save for those you create yourself).
    Old post, but... in FO4, there are quite a few settlements. Diamond City, Goodneighbour, Bunker Hill, Covenant, The Insitute (huge), and, when you play the addons, there are also Far Harbor, Nuka Town USA (huge as well), The Nucleus, or Acadia.

Actually, I'd say there are a lot more settlements than in FO3 or New Vegas.

That is a super old post. The only Fallout 4 I'd ever play again, is when the New Vegas and Fallout 3 conversions get done and released. F4 was just such a massive disappointment, that it put a permanent bad taste in my mouth where Bethesda is concerned. They just don't get Fallout, and they need to stay away from it.

Well, Ok, so, you don't like it. It's still wrong to say that there are "almost no villages/towns anywhere". Or some of the other wrong things which have been stated in this thread.

"They just don't get Fallout". It just sells like hot chips since they took over. Go figure.

And, the last game by Obsidian, The Outer Worlds actually was totally disappointing for me. Announced with big promises that it's by the folks who made Fallout and New Vegas, yet I almost instantly forgot everything about it after I played it through. Actually much worse than Fallout 4, but, hey, the hip factor says it's super duper.

I got Void Bastards and experiencing the issues I saw people chatting about in the old Void Bastards thread - the great looks unique and has great atmosphere, but suffers from huge dearth of variety. 3 hours in everything honestly looks the same. I'm also seeing the same ship layouts over and over. I died, restarted with a new character, and was thrown literally into the same exact ship. It doesn't take long before you feel like you're literally going through the same set of rooms over and over.

I feel the gameplay also can't decide if it wants to be a shooter, or a stealthy survival sim. On one hand, sometimes enemies spawn in huge droves, the power will go out (forcing you quickly run to other end of the ship to turn it back on), and the oxygen makes you keep moving quickly. On the other, some enemies can take half your health in one go, there's never enough bullets, there's virtually no way to heal (25 restore health with food is a joke), there's no melee weapon, and some enemies are bullet sponges.

The game sets you up to be a shooter, but then doesn't give you the resources needed to be a shooter, and just ends up feeling really frustrating at times.

Quote Originally Posted by chk772 View Post
    Well, Ok, so, you don't like it. It's still wrong to say that there are "almost no villages/towns anywhere". Or some of the other wrong things which have been stated in this thread.

"They just don't get Fallout". It just sells like hot chips since they took over. Go figure.
    If you compare Fallout 4 to past Fallout games there is far more exploration and much less conversing with people (who aren't from one of your settlements), you come across fair less quest hubs, and even when you do find quests their often repeatable. From memory (and mind that I made that post several years ago and havent played Fallout 4 since) there was 3 or 4 quest hubs in Fallout 4. DLC not included. New Vegas has substantially more than that. At least 10 times that. Likely more.

From what I recall there was that walled off small city towards the bottom of the map (Diamond City? I forget) and that quest hub on the floating boat and that was about it. Thats just not good, so everything you've said is completely false sorry. You've clearly not played through the whole game.

Bethesda took the soul out of the franchise. A Fallout game is about choice and consequence. Have quests with multiple solutions based on skills and player morality. They took all that out, to turn the player into a goody two shoes, with all conversation choices leading to the same outcome. Thats not Fallout sorry chk772.

Mind though that when they first took over they did a FANTASTIC job with Fallout 3. Thats an excellent game that I'd happily play. Why? Because you have choices. You can roleplay. Thats Fallout.

The only time you get to roleplay as anything other than a good guy in Fallout 4 is the silver shroud questline. That part is excellent. But its a few minutes of enjoyment compared to hours on hours of gameplay.
    Last edited by icemann; 29th Jun 2020 at 00:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    I got Void Bastards and experiencing the issues I saw people chatting about in the old Void Bastards thread - the great looks unique and has great atmosphere, but suffers from huge dearth of variety. 3 hours in everything honestly looks the same. ...
    The game sets you up to be a shooter, but then doesn't give you the resources needed to be a shooter, and just ends up feeling really frustrating at times.
    I mostly just play this as one-off missions through one or two ships at a time, as a self-contained thing, not sticking with the progress part of it. That puts it more in the category of a crossword puzzle-like game that happens to be a stealth shooter. Individual moments when you're going through a ship can have good gameplay. That's not exactly the game they made, but that's the game I can play out of it.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    Don't shoot enemies, if you can avoid it.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    From what I recall there was that walled off small city towards the bottom of the map (Diamond City? I forget) and that quest hub on the floating boat and that was about it.
    I mean, I dunno what you consider a hub. There were certainly locations with lots of stuff to do though, outside of those 2. The house with the, uh, people who don't get old. The, er, amusement park place (not the DLC thing, but the one that's in the vanilla game). The town run by the ghoul with the mind reading stuff where you do the comic book hero quests. That place with the tower in the middle where there are a pile of shops and whatever. The underground railroad people. The friggen Institute. The Broterhood of Herp. That town where they were putting people in cages to experiment on them or something. Christ I haven't played it in like 5 years, I don't remember. But there were a bunch of quest hubs. Oh and there was a Vault that was a hub wasn't there.

And as I read your post I was like "Oh yeah. The railroad and comic book guy" (comic book guy being the one who gives you the Silver Shroud outfit).

But if you compare it to New Vegas there is much less. Don't get me wrong, the exploration, weapon / armor moding and comic book collecting were excellent. It just wasn't a "Fallout" game for me.

Oh and the S.P.E.C.I.A.L ads were fantastic.

So Fallout 4 I went in wanting to love, like I love Fallouts 1, 2, Tactics, 3 and New Vegas, but it just didn't for me.

P.S - The Far Harbor DLC was far superior in all respects. It has choice and consequence and was quite good.

My problem with Fallout 4 was rather that the writing was terrible.
    There were a few decent bits here and there, but offset by atrocities like the boy in the fridge.

You say you had to play a goody two-shoes, but I felt that you couldn't do that either, you had to join one of the factions to complete the game and they were all morally grey to the point that I didn't find any of them sympathetic at all.

They tried to make the story darker and edgier and give it meaningful choices, but they just ended up making none of the choices appealing.
    It's a problem that was already present to a lesser extent in Skyrim ("Do you want to join the racist Stormcloaks or the uncaring Empire who wanted to execute you for no reason?"), but at least that had more to the story and you could skip that choice entirely if you wanted to.

A good choice is one where both options have merit, and you have to choose which outcome you value more. Choosing between two choices which are both good and bad in different ways is interesting (I'd say much more interesting than the binary "help, or kill everyone while twirling your moustache" good/evil choices.
    But what Bethesda instead managed to do was to give you a choice where none of the options is appealing and where you didn't really want to do anything.

I'd argue that the same problems apply to the game's RPG systems. Without skills, and with being able to get all of your SPECIAL stats up to 10, you aren't really making meaningful choices any more, just choosing what you want to get first.

The world was pretty and I did like the gun modification, though.

Very true. I stand corrected on further thought.

The removal of skills, and lack of conversation choices were my 2 main gripes.

So I also got Outward during Summer Sale and just rage quit. It's an open world RPG ala Skyrim but it has the most ridiculous death loop I've seen.

After I completed the "tutorial" in home village I leave to explore the world, yay! After 15 minutes of walking around empty plains I stumble upon a big fort. Cool, new city and quests? Nope! As soon as I enter, I get attacked an promptly killed. So I wake up.... inside the fort. Ok weird? I try exploring some more and get killed again. Then I respawn - you guessed it - inside the fort again. Except it's now pitch dark (night) and there's an enemy right next to me so I instantly get killed again.

Fourth time I thankfully respawn outside the fort (but half my items are gone, cool) and decide to just ignore it. I spend another 15 minutes wandering around plains with nothing to do and ran into another bandit who killed me in 2 hits.

And after I died I.... respawned in the fort.

Fuck this game.

Should have been called "Inward", clearly.

If anyone's interested in checking out Arma 3 and possibly stopping by our biweekly Saturday sessions, now's probably a good time to get into it, since the main game and the relevant DLC (Apex, though the small DLCs add some nice hardware) are pretty cheap at the moment. The Apex edition (which has the main game, Apex and much of the small DLC) is about US$20.

Yeah, the "you can't die but just teleport around" thing in Outward is rather annoying. You ideally need to play it co-op and try to only have one of you die at a time, since you can revive each other so long as you don't both die at once.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456