TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415

Thread: What are you gonna watch?

We got a date for Westworld Season 3, the Ides of March.

I have a soft spot for the '80s film version of The Name of the Rose (it definitely left quite the impression on twelve-year-old me, ahem), but it's in no way a definitive adaptation. There's so much in the novel that is left out because the film is one thing, a medieval whodunnit, while the novel is many other things as well. (Frankly, I like the film better, in part *because* it has more of a focus. The novel's focus, if it has one, is "Hello, I'm Umberto Eco, and I have a brain the size of a planet. I have read *so fucking much*. Admire me.")

If you have a passion for literature and/or medieval studies, definitely a plus rather than a minus. But yes, it seems very hard to adapt to any other medium without losing much of its essence.

I'd say I have at least a liking for both, having majored in Literature and minored in Medieval History a hundred years ago, but I don't particularly like Eco's way of blending research and storytelling. IMO the latter tends to suffer with him, though not always to the same extent, and then I'd rather read something that's just about "This is cool, isn't it?" than something that tries to tell a story at the same time yet gets distracted from the story whenever there's a cool new bit of historical trivia. Reading an Eco novel is a bit like reading a Wiki entry and vanishing down the Wiki rabbit hole, except it's supposed to be a novel - and it doesn't help that I always get the impression Eco's engaging in a fair bit of scholarly dick-waving.
    Last edited by Thirith; 14th Jan 2020 at 12:13.

I've met him, so I'm perhaps overly biased, but I never got that impression from him. He didn't need to show off. He really was just that smart. And that's how I also read his novels, wonderful multi-layered meta- and intertextual pieces of the kind only a semiotician would (or could) write.

LittleFlower
    Last week I realized I have never seen Jabberwocky (1977).

I'm gonna watch it tonight.
    Terry is in it.

Interesting. I remember watching a live action mini-series of Alice in Wonderland (with part 1 being a remake of the 1st cartoon film, and the remainder being after it), which had a Jabberwocky main bad guy/creature. A very dark adaptation. That Jabberwocky scared the ABSOLUTE CRAP out of me as a kid. Gave me nightmares. Gah.

Did a quick google search and it brought up next to nothing on it, besides that it came out in the mid 80s. Hmm.

Best I could find was - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088693/

Worth a watch at least once. Very similar in style to the movie "Return to Oz", which I absolutely loved as a kid.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Very similar in style to the movie "Return to Oz", which I absolutely loved as a kid.
    I remember watching bits and pieces of Return to Oz when I was a kid. For the longest time, I thought it was some fever dream I had. Thought the same thing about The Peanut Butter Solution too, which was so freaking surreal, I was honestly surprised it was a real movie.

On another note, I just got through watching Star Trek: Picard. It was surprisingly good. I was initially turned off by the reports of a less optimistic Starfleet, thinking they were gonna make it all edgy and SO DARK, BRAH! The way it's actually portrayed is much more realistic. At some point after multiple Borg invasions, the Dominion War, and a bunch of other crap that eventually culminated in an AI rebellion on Mars that destroyed the Federation's main shipyard, and killed nearly 100,000 people, Starfleet has become much more cautious and isolationist, abandoning the Romulans during their moment of need because they have more pressing concerns on the homefront.

Very topically relevant!

What's weird is how a good chunk of the plot hinges upon a single episode of TNG. I wouldn't have caught a few of the references if I hadn't just watched that particular episode.

While the previous Star Trek series was a bit crap from start and got rapidly worse by every episode - this one has my hopes up from the, admittedly, single episode i have seen so far. I hope they won't screw it up this time.

Chakat sex pillow
    Yeah. This one seems to remember that a guiding principle of (good) Trek shows has always been about putting up a mirror to society and examining where it could go with our present-day contexts. I'm glad they've dropped Discovery's empty tryhard edginess for some actual, grounded Trek storytelling. The fact that it's heavily TNG-based and inspired is the icing on the cake. Fingers crossed as well that they see it through.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Wes Anderson is making another Wes Anderson movie.

I'll probably see it.

Moderator and Priest
    That's the most Wes Anderson thing I've seen since the last Wes Anderson movie.

Yep.

LittleFlower
    Dark Season 3 will be released on June 27th 2020. That's 39 days from today.

I am gonna watch that.

I would be interested in hearing from someone who is already paying for HBO: Is Twin Peaks: Season 3 still available for you to watch? If you also happen to be located in Sweden (or close-by) that would be even better.

The backstory to this is that I recently started a free trial run of HBO (nordic) online (via PC). Halfway through watching season 3, it disappeared (without a trace), so I couldn't continue watching (no information on why this happened). Not a too unreasonable thing happening, but what I need to know now is if it would be available again if I start a paid subscription.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    That's the most Wes Anderson thing I've seen since the last Wes Anderson movie.
    Verily. I like his style, though, so I'm not complaining. I get tired of a lot of things all the time, but not this (yet). The only one of his films I really didn't like was Darjeeling Limited, partly because Bill Murray wasn't in it -- or, well, he was, but then he wasn't, which was kind of worse than not being there at all. Maybe I need to learn to like Bill Murray a little less.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Just checked HBO Nordic, it does indeed seem to be gone. Only Twin Peaks seasons 1 and 2.

LittleFlower
    This is the water, and this is the well.
    Drink full, and descend.
    The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within.

Thanks to a free month of Showtime on Sling, Twin Peaks: The Return.

Not only am I that far behind on what the hell's been going on around here, I am even farther behind on television viewing. But I hear they have shows in color now!

edit: (...and I'm too old, blind, and cranky to look up at the posts above this)

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Just checked HBO Nordic, it does indeed seem to be gone. Only Twin Peaks seasons 1 and 2.
    Okay, thanks. No more Twin Peaks for me, then.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryzemuis View Post
    This is the water, and this is the well.
    Drink full, and descend.
    The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within.
    "You don't possibly have a light, do you?"

Quote Originally Posted by Gryzemuis View Post
    Last week I realized I have never seen Jabberwocky (1977).

I'm gonna watch it tonight.
    Terry is in it.
    One of my favorites, and I love the Criterion edition. Somewhere around here I have an original VHS copy, when they were marketing it as "Monty Python's Jabberwocky" to boost sales.

Queue is alive? Must be a slow working venereal disease.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415