TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 61 of 61 FirstFirst ... 111621263136414651565758596061
Results 1,501 to 1,517 of 1517

Thread: Canon texture packs?

Is this a photograph that you used for your high-res replica or is this what LGS actually used for their original texture?!? I'm curious how you found it, considering the substantial amount of image manipulation performed by LGS.
    Apart from minor tone differences - this is identical! It's funny how uninspiring the source photo looks like compared to the final effect. But they could at least get rid of the apartment block there!

That's the source photo I used. It was the rooftops that lead me to this picture. I recognised the roof style of the original texture as Swiss, and literally typed "Swiss rooftops" into a well known search engine and went from there. LGS' image is heavily manipulated. I suspect LGS purloined quite a number of source pics from Encarta and publications of that ilk.
    I did have to edit out the satellite dishes for the final texture!

The high-res version really does highlight that apartment complex, doesn't it?

Those pesky Mechanists!

Fortunately the crane was outside the frame! That would be too much of a spoiler in TG.

Quote Originally Posted by jackinthebox View Post
    Hello everyone, I have collected many many textures (300+) from NV's List.
    JackInTheBox sent me a truly insane number of textures, over 1,500 files.
    I'm still sorting through them all, but you can probably expect a major update to the EP in the not-so-distant future.

Some samples:

opera backdr02

ramirez r02

civicb2 adoor02

concastle glass2
    (Comparison with previous EP version of Glass2)

Reflections on stained glass windows:

Looks good, but haven't similar textures been improved in the past?
    How many percent is left unfinished?

I'm one of those dudes who only play with this texture pack, and don't think the original ones are so cool.

Some are new textures, some are further-improved textures (like the Constantine window), some are modifications of existing textures to replace a similar one, yet others are just slightly tweaks to make the colours closer the originals.

I can't give an accurate percentage until I've finished going through all the new files, but right now it's at 62% with the files I've looked at some far.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    This looks like kind of a mess, with lots of typical AI upscaling artifacts.

This seems to lose most of the detail of the original and turn what was originally intended as short-pile carpet into shag.

Reflections on stained glass windows:
    Is this using a cubemap? The reflection seems like just a stripe pattern, which looks pretty fake. A generic reflection envmap should be more blobby and random.

I assumed the changes to the opera backdrop were to make it look more like it was hand-painted with a rather coarse brush, as would be appropriate for an opera/theatre backdrop.
    There's certainly some AI upscaling problems on some of the other textures, though.

The reflections are just flat textures, not cubemaps.

I really could do with some extra pairs of eyes on this, to look through the textures, give feedback to the artist, and to help me test the new version of the pack once it's done. Especially purists who don't like using the EP in the first place because it's "too different".

ZylonBane
    Using a single texture as a reflection map on terrain should be avoided, because they warp and snap as the player view moves, even when standing still.

Generating NewDark-compatible cubemaps is pretty easy. I posted a guide here: https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthre...=1#post2435832

What would I create a cubemap of, since whatever it is has to work as a reflection for wherever the texture is used (including FMs)?

I'd imagine whatever cubemap would be heavily blurred to allow it a little more leeway, but it still might end up looking odd in a lot of cases.

ZylonBane
    Yeah, it's got to be totally abstract for this kind of thing. Just blurry blobs of light. If you look in my 400 patch, there's one called gloss_cube.dds that's like this. I wouldn't recommend using it since it has some tiling issues, but it wouldn't be too hard to make something similar in DromEd by creating a spherical room and scattering random lights around.

I'd be wary of using any kind of render pass for stock texture replacements, because the render pass is resource intensive and you might end up inadvertently killing the framerate on missions that use that texture a lot.

Certainly worth keeping an eye on, but I'll do some testing on areas just filled with complex materials.
    I might consider adding the option to disable reflections for slower hardware.

ZylonBane
    I'd think additional render passes for window textures would be fine, since there are very rarely more than a few onscreen at once.

There is a conditional syntax built in to the material system for checking whether it's running in DX9 mode, which could be used to disable reflections.

You can also check for specific, named config variables if you want to.

There's also reflection passes on some of the shinier metals and tile floors, which I'm not entirely sure about yet.

Page 61 of 61 FirstFirst ... 111621263136414651565758596061