TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Elevator Mission T1 V2 (Released Dec 25 2005)

Ghost

Hm. Blocked again.

All right, in the Haunts section, I have:

spoiler:
    1. Killed the three haunts in the foyer (one female and two males).

2. Pushed the button in the male haunt's guard post.

3. Noticed a picture had slid open in the female haunt's guard post, exposing a lock; cannot unlock lock with keys or picks.

4. Killed the strolling haunt from the garden party (the one with the burning hand).

5. Went downstairs, killed everyone (except I left one human unconscious in his jail cell).

6. In cell where the ghost was, pushed button.

7. In cell across from there, noticed picture had slid back, revealing switch; pulled switch.

8. Poked the button in the central room that opens the floor hatch to the Hand.

9. Used the Seal Key to open the spider cell; killed spiders; can't find anything inside (except spider bodies).

10. Found a locked sewer grating in the floor of the third cell. Can't open it.

So I have a Seal Key that appears to do nothing but open a cell to nowhere. I see a lock that I can't open in the female haunt's guard post (it probably opens the double doors in the middle). I see a sewer that I can't open.

So what next? Do I have to crash the garden party? I didn't see anything there offhand, either in the pavillion or on the two haunts upstairs in that area. I see a gate, but I would have to carve my way through the two upstairs haunts to get at it... and I'm reluctant to do so unless that's the only place I can go.

Hm... blocked again.

@ Dafydd: check 9. again

Quote Originally Posted by Dafydd
    flashbomb and KO him
    I would not recommended this. I suggest that you save your flashbombs until you really need them (at the end). Another approach is run, hide, and ambush. Not so noble, but it works.

If you do run out of weapons, however, there is another way: some work arounds are described above, so there is no need to replay it unless you want to be victorious in the fight.

Yes, sword and BJ are all you really need until you reach the end.
    Last edited by smithpd; 18th Feb 2006 at 17:32.

Ghost
    All right, at the endgame of the mission.

spoiler:
    I'm faced with a longish, well-lit corridor with three haunts: one to either side and one at the end. There is a doorway, and above it are a pair of crossed swords. This is all very well lit, even after taking out the two torches on either side. I know there used to be a thin thread of shadow somewhere... but I recall it going from one of the side areas -- the left, I think -- to behind the main haunt in front of the door; but now, I can't get anywhere near that without alerting one of the two side haunts, who alerts the other two... and I'm faced with three furious haunts who swiftly slay me.

Is there any way to turn off these lights? Is there any way to sneak through here to get behind haunts? Will backstabbing a haunt on the side -- even if I could do that -- alert the other two haunts? Because as it stands, I don't see how anyone can kill all three. Yet people have finished, so there must be a way.

By the way, I never found any mines... where were they? I sure hope you're not going to say "back before you take the big swim...!"

If the only solution here is "slug it out and try to defeat them all with your sword," then I'm just going to bag it. This is simple suicide.

Dafydd

Dafydd, there is a better solution:

spoiler:
    Before you enter the area with the 3 haunts, knock out the "unarmed citizens" and throw 2 of them on the floor switch to hold the gate open. Then run into the area with the 3 haunts and get them to chase you. Run past the 2 guards and jump to the rope arrow hanging over the pit (put one in the closest beam if you haven't already) then watch the guards kill the haunts for you.

Ghost
    Jprobs, that's clever! I'm going to try that right now....

Well, I'm back. That was quick! I had to do it twice, though: the first time, only one haunt followed me back.

spoiler:
    As soon as I read your post, I remembered from last time that the guards were immortal... and that one of them (at least) was immune to knockouts, too. I don't know if the latter is still true, but obviously they still have a million hit points, or whatever the max in DromEd is (something like death stage 12? I don't know DromEd.)

The game ended as soon as I moved the corpse of the Keeper and picked up the Sage Key.

I still think the mission is very, very un-Thief-like, though that didn't bother me as much this time... probably because I already knew going in. I took only four points of damage this time... all from jumping down from high places (a point here, a point there).

I'm pleased that I was able to KO everyone in the courtyard with the two mages; I didn't bother the haunt garden party.

Ended with 1032 or something out of 1300-somesuch loot.

Thanks, Jprobs, for a brilliant solution to an otherwise intractable problem!

Dafydd
    Last edited by Dafydd; 19th Feb 2006 at 10:19.

Your welcome

Thiefmissions.com

Folks were asking why I would bother with a rerelease of an old mission. Well, any time an author wants to send me updates they are welcome to. It doesn't matter how old the mission is or how highly regarded by the community, and it's trivial for me to push an update.

It may surprise you, but the original Elevator Mission is one of my favorites. Incredibly bizarre, incredibly difficult and just plain fun. This in spite of the fact that I never finished it. (I only played on expert, and there's that unpickable chest under the water....) Your options are extremely limited in the beginning due to lack of equipment, so you have to do some masterful sneaking until you can get some tools and weapons which let you get further in the mission. Sort of like Tears of Blood, another of my favorite Thief Gold missions. It's been years since I played either, but I can still remember the mission layouts. I can't say that much about many missions.

My thanks to Mr. Smith for continuing to work to bring JIS missions to the community.

Quote Originally Posted by epithumia
    I only played on expert, and there's that unpickable chest under the water....
    I believe that this issue has been put to rest by Vlad Midnight, who says that V1 is possisble to complete in Expert. The problem is that there is something you need in order to proceed that is hard to see. Check this spoiler only if you have become frustrated by the swimming puzzle.
    spoiler:
    There are two chests in the water in both V1 and V2. A blue chest in the light that may be unpickable, and an unlocked wood chest in the dark that cannot be seen unless you are right on it. In V2 the wood one is more easily seen. In both V1 and V2, the wood one has the breath potions. I failed to find the wood chest in my first playing of V1 on Expert, found it on my second playing on Normal, and never went back to try it again on Expert. BTW, the blue chest can now be opened with the JIS key, which was absent from V1.
    Vlad is no-doubt right.

My thanks to Mr. Smith for continuing to work to bring JIS missions to the community.
    You are welcome. You should try playing V2.
    spoiler:
    save weapons until the end if you want to have a good fight.
    Last edited by smithpd; 19th Feb 2006 at 15:45.

About the ending

Thanks, Jprobs, for a brilliant solution to an otherwise intractable problem!
    Yes, the solution is brilliant, but, actually, the problem is tractable if you find the weapons you need, save them until you need them, and fight well. I hope that some players will be motivated to play it the hard way.
    Last edited by smithpd; 19th Feb 2006 at 15:42.

Attributes of the guards

spoiler:
    As soon as I read your post, I remembered from last time that the guards were immortal... and that one of them (at least) was immune to knockouts, too. I don't know if the latter is still true....
    The guards aren't quite immortal. I just checked.
    spoiler:
    They can both be BJ'ed if not alerted. When unconscious, they can be killed by > 50 sword swipes. When alerted, they are extremely difficlult to kill. I gave up trying. They are, however, completely oblivious to Garrett. I have always sneaked around them and BJ'ed them both, so I never discovered the guards' kindly attributes.

As for the three mines, I found the first one way early in the mission, I don't remember where. The last two are
    spoiler:
    in the wood chest in the room to the left of the guards at the end. A health potion pops up when the chest is opened, but two additional mines are also added to inventory.

After completing V1 in September, I now completed V2 as well: Finished on Normal in 2 hours and 19 minutes with 1223 of 1390 total loot. Despite previous experience with this mission, I missed the location of the Sword key and played until the final area without the sword. I confirm it is possible to survive the final area without the sword if you collect enough flashbombs, fire arrows and mines – at least on Normal difficulty.

V2 is a big improvement over V1: With proper ambient light, the whole mission looks a lot better. The texture work in many rooms is also improved. The bizarre „training area“ of V1 was scrapped entirely and is replaced with a more believable environment. Some other areas received a slight overhaul as well, like the garden in the „Haunt‘s place“.

One smaller change I did not like was the removal of the opening elevator ride: V1 begins inside of an elevator that is going up to the top of a building. In V2, you just start on the rooftop. I thought the starting location inside an elevator fit the mission‘s title and I do not understand why this was changed.

All changes in V2 I noticed:
    spoiler:
    • The compass was removed.
    • Readables were removed entirely.
    • The mission objectives are the same as in V1, but their descriptions are much shorter.
    • Whereas V1 has the difficulty levels Sushi, Ninja and Sumurai, there is only one difficulty level.
    • There is much less loot to find compared to V1.
    • Ambient light is set to reasonable levels. No more pitch black areas.
    • New wall textures in many areas.
    • The Opening elevator ride was removed.
    • A woman sleeping on a bed in a room below the kitchen was removed.
    • The elevator panel on ground floor below the kitchen now has floor numbers on it. But only this elevator panel.
    • The kitchen key is found in the same room, but in a slightly different location.
    • You can now extend a ladder from the metal crawlspace next to the kitchen down to the room below.
    • A Hammerite Priest was removed in the room where you can climb down to the basement where the first lockpick is. Only one Hammerite remains and he is in a position in which you have a chance to knock him out now.
    • The double doors just a few steps inside the Haunt's place are now less glitchy. In V1, I had problems getting them to open again when I wanted to leave the place.
    • The teleporter behind the large double doors that open after you pull the alarm switch in the Haunt's place is now activated by stepping through it, rather than by stepping onto a pressure plate in front of it.
    • The location of the JIS key was changed and you now have a chance to find it.
    • There are more AIs near Gilmo's place, which makes the area more difficult to navigate.
    • If you go down the well near Gilmo's and end up in the room with the two frogbeasts, you now need the End of the Key to get out of the room. Previously, the door could be opened without this key.
    • In the final area, there are now three Haunts instead of one: two weaker ones and one really hard one.

Locations of all keys and their purpose:
    spoiler:
    • Kitchen key: In the throne room next to the noisy machine room with giant giant gears on the walls. Opens a door in the kitchen.
    • Sword key: There is a bald swordsman guarding a single door in a narrow, brightly lit corridor with flame decals on the walls. Behind that door is a room with an easy puzzle with a timed door. The key is in a water basin guarded by a bugbeast. It unlocks a door on the lower part of the area with the two floating clouds.
    • Chapel key: In a chest on the upper floor of the area with the two floating clouds. Opens the door in the room next to where the slot machines are.
    • Training place key: On the belt of a purple guard a bit further down where the caged bugbeast is. Opens a lock on the left of a set of double doors near the two floating clouds.
    • Haunt's key: On the belt of a Hammerite in a basement of the training place. Opens the double doors behind the Hammerite acolyte in the training place.
    • Seal key: On the belt of an undead Hammerite priest in the torture chamber of the Haunt's place. Opens the middle cell in the Haunt's place, the one with the spiders in it.
    • Demon's key: At the end of a corridor on the upper floor of a chapel guarded by two Hammerites and one woman. Opens a lock behind a painting in the Haunt‘s place, in a room guarded by a woman in the central entrance area.
    • Lost article key: Next to a dead Burrick in pit with two undead. Opens a lock on the left of a set of double doors, in a brick building connected to the pit with a tunnel. Also open a closet in a basement hidden beneath a mattress in the same building.
    • JIS key: In the area unlocked by the lost article key, in a small well with a Keeper statue in the middle. Unlocks two blue chests: one down the well near Gilmo's, one behind a door to the right behind the double doors across the pit with a dead Burrick and two undead.
    • End of the key: Down the well near Gilmo's where you find the scepter on the floor, at the end of a dead end, on the belt of the corpse with flies hovering above it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123