TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Request for music: suggestions wanted

SShock2.com

Request for music: suggestions wanted

This is perhaps not your usual music thread. I'm looking for music to use for a very specific purpose. Walking. I walk for exercise, but I'm running out of music. To suit the length of my legs, it needs to be 107 BPM. 106 or 108 is fine, 105 or lower is too slow, 109 or higher is too fast. I've done the research, I made test tracks of various BPM and found my limits. At 110 my steps are ridiculously short to try to keep up with the music, and I look like a 1920s silent movie slapstick character.

I'm sure all you people out there know lots of songs that would be perfect that I'm yet unaware of, but you may not know exactly what 107 BPM means. It's this tempo. If you can find a song that fits with this groove, please post a link here and I will give it a go. I don't care what genre it is, although I'm quite picky about vocalists, so even though you may find something that is perfect for you, I may still discard it on account of me being a jerk. Hiphop is probably a good place to start, many songs are in that tempo, but I've gone through all mine now. Medium/slow pop songs should also work, as long as the beat is fairly obvious and the rest of it isn't terrible. Rock songs in 6/8 could probably work, if they're in 4/4 they're probably too fast. Point being, all genres welcome, as long as it's 107 BPM. If in doubt, compare the beat to the above link. Any suggestions welcome.

Drum and base? That music works with everything.

Some good sources - Here

SShock2.com

Thanks, but DnB is way too fast, it might be good for jogging, but not for walking. I dare you to try to walk in sync with DnB. I mean, I love it, it sounds great, but it's not suited for this particular purpose. That's why I posted the above link to clearly show what 107 BPM means, a DnB is usually 130-180 BPM. Great for dancing to.

Try looking into slower Swing and Electro Swing like this:

SShock2.com

That one works. It's just the right tempo. I even quite like the song. Thanks. It sounds a bit like 60s ska, I forgot about that, I should probably research that more.

Level 10,000 achieved
    If you're using Spotify you can use this to sort your playlists by bpm: http://sortyourmusic.playlistmachinery.com/ I used it to find good 150bpm jogging songs.

Anyway, here's a few 107bpm tunes I'd certainly take a stroll to:
    Florence + The Machine - Kiss with a fist
    Teddybears STHLM - Ahead of my time
    Primus - Amos Moses
    Them - Baby please dont go
    The Contours - What becoms of the brokenhearted
    New York Dolls - Dance like a monkey
    Kendrick Lamar - King Kunta
    Cardigans - Erase / Rewind (Kleerup remix)
    Diry Beaches - True blue
    The Greenhornes - There is an end
    Vulfpeck - Half of the way

SShock2.com

Oh, that never even occurred to me. Thanks. Yes, I'm old and slow, and don't understand modern technology. I do have Spotify, but I'm too thick to imagine it would be that easy. Thanks, I'll give it a go.

Curiously, I own about a third of the songs you listed, but forgot they might be the right tempo. I'll look them out again.

Hey what about this one I posted in the music thread? It has the added factor of making you feel cool as a witch tit.

SShock2.com

That one works. Added to which, it's by a band I already like but not heard that song, and in a style that really appeals to me. I have a few other songs based on the same drumloop, but I can't remember the source, it's not a James Brown loop, I think, but I could be wrong. I like this one.

[Edit]

I was wrong. The music nerd in me compelled me to compare the drums, and no, it was not the loop I thought it was, but rather a beat-for-beat replication on drum machines, so very much as exact a copy as you can get without having to pay royalties. Anyway, that's not important, I just wanted to say two things: A) I was wrong, and 2) that song kicks ass. I'll definitely add it to my list. Thank you.
    Last edited by Gray; 5th Oct 2019 at 01:49.

Still have my Conalrad CD from what? ten or twelve years ago. Good to know you didn't die in a knife fight with a hobo or something, Onion Bob.

SShock2.com

My mind is very slow these days, but something is slowly pouring out... was it Bayroot? Trunks?