TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ever think of how remarkable it is at how active this community still is?

El Shagmeister
    \/

SShock2.com

Quote Originally Posted by Trance View Post
    I'm not here because of Thief. I'm here because of System Shock.
    Same.

But that's how I discovered Thief, and played that as well.

But I stayed for the nutters in CommChat.
    Boing. Peng. Boom-Tschak. Peng.

System Shock 2 Walkthrough

I'm not surprised that the community is still going relatively strong. Actually I'm more surprised that so many members don't check in here more often. To me that's as strange as never ringing your parents or something. This is the best place with the best people.

Might be worth asking what reason those people could have to not want to come here any more.
    Are they too busy, have they lost interest, did something about this place chase them away?

I miss the vast amount of people who used to frequent the SS2 FM making side of the forum. Was a very different place back then.

There's not really modding scenes now like we had then (and still have, though maybe not at the same scale), are there? There are people releasing mods on Steam Workshops but they're not what you'd call a community. Or they're shadow versions of one. I don't want to say they can't exist now, but the other modding scenes I'm around at least don't have the same vibe.

We were lucky to fall in that bit of time where tech was advanced enough for people to make great levels for each other, but everything wasn't so corporate & systematized yet that bottom-up communities couldn't build a space for themselves.
    Last edited by demagogue; 30th Sep 2019 at 08:22.

Still Subjective
    You've hit the nail on the head there dema - making FMs back in the day wasn't so complex and we had some amazing one man builds. Could this be done with any modern games? I guess Thief was particularly suited to FMs too. Twas a glorious time.

SShock2.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    Might be worth asking what reason those people could have to not want to come here any more.
    Are they too busy, have they lost interest, did something about this place chase them away?
    Life moves on. Back in the day, many TTLG:ers were young and not yet distracted by actual life, with too much spare time to post amusing nonsense here. But as you get older, maybe have a family, kids, work, time becomes much less available. You find new, more important things. Or just other interests. I'm guessing this is the main reason why most people don't come back here any more. For others, whatever game they came here for, they're bored with it now and don't feel a need to come back. It would be quite interesting to see a poll of why people who used to frequent TTLG no longer do so, but of course, you can't find them anymore because they no longer frequent TTLG.

[Edit]

When I joined, in 1998, I felt I was already about 10 years older than most of the frequent posters. Not all, some were older than I. I had hit a point in my life where there wasn't much else going on, so I had the time to moderate. But all of those young people would eventually have to grow up, and find life elsewhere. If you're a parent of two kids you will have less time to discuss video games or favourite songs with a bunch of random online nutters. At least for me, the way that I've returned in the last couple of years should be a clear indication I don't really have much else going on, I probably speak about 10 words per week to some random supermarket clerk, so I come here for conversation instead, the way I used to do in the olden days. It may be different for other people.
    Last edited by Gray; 4th Oct 2019 at 06:14.

I come back here every morning to either lurk or participate in some of the more interesting threads. It always feels kinda like slipping on a comfy old pair of shoes. I do miss some of the old-timers, though, like GBM, Scots, Noid, etc. It's great that so many of us have re-connected on Facebook, though it doesn't give me the same warm/fuzzies I get when I stop by TTLG.

hell yeah!

And I just showed up! It's neat to come across fellow taffers. Cheers! I got into the games a long time ago and I just did another run through them again..I'm stoked that this style of game still has a following!

Taking the Death Toll
    Came here 'cuz I needed help with System Shock 2 freezing on me (the good ol' multithreading issue) and decided to stick around. My posting career has had its ups and downs, and I don't completely regret my time here, but this is definitely no longer the defining point of my social interaction, online or off.

I'm like Dia, I stop here every day just to check on things. I'm glad to still be in touch with many taffers on FB. It's like a second family to me.

Previously Important
    Quote Originally Posted by Dia View Post
    I do miss some of the old-timers, though, like GBM, Scots, Noid, etc.
    You only miss because we run. <3

Quote Originally Posted by Gray View Post
    I probably speak about 10 words per week to some random supermarket clerk, so I come here for conversation instead, the way I used to do in the olden days. It may be different for other people.
    And this is the beauty of the Internet

Still remember when in 1998 (21 years ago, it seems yesterday to me) I talked about "Thief" with my real life friends in those high school afternoon

SShock2.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gingerbread Man View Post
    Run away from TTLG towards an actual life..?

I have a wife and a life and kids and grands and friends and still read books and come here. For me this is therapy or a vent or something. Also I never fully let go of people, even those who were just a moment. Mwuhuha. I leave this on as I take the dogs for a walk or fix dinner or drink or watch a horror or listen to music. I come back to it and post as it hits me to do so. It's a nice cool night and it rained Friday but they still haven't lifted the burn ban or I might be around the fire outside burning a pile of odd and end lumber from building a shed where I hung my heavy bag. Instead I'm inside after mowing my moms yard with a lot of dogs and cats wanting my lap or at least my attention. Their owners will be back from Orange beach Alabama soon I hope. They are a handful and don't always poop where they should. My wife has gone to bed early and is still fighting respiratory trouble. If I can do this anyone can. It's just what makes you happy. This place still does at times. I connect to folks that I grew to know and like. Some do not feel the need or are lost in life. That's okay. I'm here. I'm glad to know they are fighting the good fight when they do show up. I like them. I rejoice a little when they do show up. If they don't I worry a bit about them but like any parent who has let go of children I have learned to deal with that too. After all, I was 42 when I first showed up here. Most of you were babies to me.

LOL. I meant the pets don't always poop where they should and not their owners. I taught my daughter to poop where she should a long time ago.

On the neighbour's porch?

Exactly.

El Shagmeister
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingerbread Man View Post
    *Smacks your hairy arse*

I never miss, amigo.

<3

As someone who only recently got more involved and active, I'm glad this forum is still active.

Also, System Shock? Never heard of it; I once came here because of Thief.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12