TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 104 of 105 FirstFirst ... 454596469747984899499100101102103104105 LastLast
Results 2,576 to 2,600 of 2603

Thread: What are you making?

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    Anyway, what you're saying is essentially that the dude's planning on retooling the engine to support the entire gamut of current-day PBR techniques for Doom 3? Which I guess makes more sense than just adding BRDF and asspulling roughness data from existing assets. From the forum thread you linked, it seemed very much like a proof of concept that was done just 'cause.
    Yeah, pretty much. Bear in mind that Doom3 uses both color and B&W speculars, but essentially they're always RGB, so the result is even more messy when you plug that into PBR shader used here. Red channel is roughness, green is metallic. Blue should be AO in future releases.

Fortunately someone on Discord reworked a few these materials to check how the shader holds up:

Looks nice. Looks like i remember it. No idea what visually changed in comparison to original. I'm not a Doom3 geek, so would someone refresh my memory: did the original even have roughness? Fairly sure it had spectacular channel, but now i am not sure about roughness channel.

Chakat sex pillow
    No, it didn't. IIRC it was one of the first games to really go to town on normal mapping, which was its big ticket feature along with the unified lighting system. Part of the point of the PBR shader seems to be to allow for roughness maps, which don't exist in Doom 3 hence the need to plug in custom ones. Those screenshots do indeed look nice; still, I'd like to see these surfaces work with reflection probes/integrated GI to complete the look (possibly a massive undertaking to backport this to idtech 4, but what the heck).
    Last edited by Sulphur; 16th Sep 2019 at 05:52.

This is how vanilla Doom 3 looks like:

The game is from 2004, same year as Deadly Shadows.

Side by side please.

Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    This is how vanilla Doom 3 looks like:
    Thanks.

Time flies i guess. I could have sworn it had specularity - yet i cannot discern any in that picture.

What did they use the texture channels for i wonder (quick google failed me - too many false positives for my non-English brain to guess/work around). Assuming 2 packed textures (texture memory was quite limited back then):
    3: just color, without having A to halve the memory usage for it.
    x: normal (RGB: lol no. RGA /w B unused for precision: maybe. LA+A: overkill and needs quite a lot of extra memory. LA: good enough and takes the same memory as RGBA with less artifacts i would presume).

Given the recommended GPU memory amounts (64MB x_x, seriously? Told to even work with 32MB) - makes sense that they did not add anything else.

Bloody hell. Did not quite realize that Doom3 was made in the stone age! My memory has probably been fogged by my own endeavors in OpenGL land when doom3 cam out - messing with parallax mapping at the time and not having to care about memory usage (and cursing ATI/AMD gpus that have never got past absolute trash for development ... 4 texture indirection's maximum - are you fucking shitting me! ... FOUR! ... vs unlimited for NVidia ... ffs ... a concept/limitation written into spec just to accommodate ATI junk and nothing else ... argh ... ... sorry, bad memories. I had an ATI card back then. I remember seeing "supported by ATI" or something like that popping up in doom3 and thinking - yeah, no parallax for doom3 i guess. Some modder made it work though, if memory serves, but for NVidia only).

Texture slots are as follows:
    Diffuse: RGBA, alphatest and blend transparency supported
    Normal: RGB, blue channel supported, as in other engines
    Specular: RGB, color specular workflow supported, in TDM the enhanced shader allows to somewhat control the glossiness through RGB channel intensity
    Texture resolution: up to 8192, IIRC

...and I am done!

Fulfillment - Exciting Adventure About the Joy of Working at an Amazin’ Fulfillment Center!

It's FREE and playable in your browser! Can you get to the top of the Company Scoreboard?

Play Here

Moderator and Priest
    God, that's depressing.

Chakat sex pillow
    It's missing the Amazin' key performance indicators that dictate 20% of your time should be learning and doing tasks outside your remit while the job requires you to do 150% of the work a normal human being would. The general atmosphere of despair seems about right for corporate work. Not very subtle though, is it?

Companies generally make their policies look employee-forward while fucking employees over in unexpected ways. (We're giving you MORE responsibility, since you asked to climb the ladder! No, we're not giving you the ability to manage, oversee, or control anything. Good luck!)

Chakat sex pillow
    This article may also be four years old now, but nothing about it has changed since it was published. I've got friends who currently work or have worked there (never as warehouse dogsbodies, thank god, but that's really not much of a consolation); the article's corroboration with their experiences is eerily accurate. That 'bar raiser' interview process? Still happens today. It's something else when even their interview process is tedious, never-ending, and exhausting.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    Companies generally make their policies look employee-forward while fucking employees over in unexpected ways.
    Not so much warehouse work, where it's a straight up race to the bottom from everything I've read. The workers get exact time measurements to for their next delivery and get docked if they miss it, many skip lunch/restroom breaks to make up for it, there are points incentives and mini-games to compete with others... the basically made a (horrible) game out of working at a warehouse, so I made a game out of that game.

Chakat sex pillow
    They're not mutually exclusive. Warehouse workers (indeed, any entry-level job at most companies) bear the brunt of inhuman work conditions while also being fed company rhetoric and 'we value you' principles that extend all the way to middle/upper management while they're being fucked over.

Part of what makes these jobs attractive to bright-eyed applicants is the potential of where you can go with a big company (apart from, of course, how much you get paid) and the advertising spin that the entry-level interview process + onboarding on day zero give them. Things like company values, principles, internal movement opportunities and statistics. What none of these mention is the multiple glass ceilings they need to push through before they can actually go anywhere (that's usually in the policy fine print on the company's intranet, which you can get access to after you sign the contract). Amazon's own principles use a lot of English to spin some incredibly draconian policies as a pursuit of excellence, and that's before you get to see its actual work culture.

Sell them the future, and they'll buy it - in other words, the carrot's got to be large enough; it's only afterwards that you realise that the carrot's actually made of wood, and it's being used to beat the living shit out of you anyway.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 19th Sep 2019 at 13:36.

On a completely different note...

Terrorist clouds win!

Fulfillment now has a Steam Page and will feature 9 different languages! It will be 100% free with no mictransaction BS

Level 10,000 achieved
    Cool!

I liked the version you posted earlier, hope this gets it some more attention.

PIPES!
    Yeah, just made some!

Exploded view / pipe kit:

Base version:

Version 2:

Version 3:

Moderator and Priest
    Those? Those are some swank ass pipes, man.

Can you please make a reboot of pipemania?

You could make a new version of JIS's Amida, to take an FM example, a little pipe platformer for Thief2.

Rats, Bats, and Bones is now out of Early Access. It was a long and sometimes painful experience but now it's just about over with. Phew!

Moderator and Priest

Level 10,000 achieved
    Beautiful!

@smallfry YAYAYAYA Congrats!!!

@Renz Something about that TV is very pleasing

Meanwhile, in the cloudland.....

Page 104 of 105 FirstFirst ... 454596469747984899499100101102103104105 LastLast