TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Halloween : Spooky games edition

Halloween : Spooky games edition

So coming up to halloween and I have been bombarded with, well, halloween stuff and it got me thinking about how there is probly an upcoming steam sale, so I thought lets list some cool spooky games. First up I have been playing FEAR recently and i must say it is quite good. Some nice scares with really good old school fps combat, having missed it first time around it dates very well. Great play for hallows eve.
    Another game which I pull out at this time is Emily wants to play, a great short game full of jump scares in the 5 nights at freddy kinda vibe.

So anyone got some good spooky games that maybe a lot of ppl havent played to recommend?

Level 10,000 achieved
    I played a pile of spooky (or at least horror-themed) games like a month ago.

Resident Evil 2 (the new one) - perhaps GOTY-material right here! It is... so good. It's as good as Resident Evil 4, the only other game in the series I've actually bothered to finish.

Blair Witch - Not that scary, until the finale(which frankly goes on for too long). If you want a game where you go for a walk in the woods with your dog and solve the occasional spooky puzzle, this is the game for you! If you got XBox Game Pass, give it a go.

Unavowed - Very good and fresh adventure game/RPG blend with great characters and a gripping story.

Stories Untold - Very interesting text-parser based horror games with a Stranger Things aesthetic, but from before Stranger Things.

I'm playing Conarium right now, first-person Lovecraftian thing which is mildly scary. It's kinda cool, but also kinda boring. Should probably play Detention and make Sulphur happy.

One's that a lot of people haven't played? Well that's really subjective.

I'd recommend:

* "Afraid of Monsters" mod for Half-Life. The whole thing is really fucked up. Messes with your head a fair bit.
    * Eternal Darkness - Game on the Gamecube that's quite good. When your sanity meter gets low a heap of weird stuff starts happening. Great stuff.
    * Friday the 13th - The Game - I almost never hear this game get mentioned here. Great team work style game, of working together to try and escape before Jason kills you.
    * The 13th Doll - This game is releasing on Halloween of this year. Horror themed and FMV filled. It's a semi-sequel to the 7th Guest and the 11th Hour, but not by the original devs.
    * The Darkness - You'll need a PS3 or Xbox for this one. Really good game. Definitely spooky.
    * "They Hunger" trilogy mods for Half-Life. Mods set in a zombie apocalypse outbreak.
    * Observer - Some people have played this sure, but not everyone. So I'd recommend it, as it's quite unnerving.

Man Eternal Darkness was great, pity its almost impossible to find a copy of it these days

I'm going to suggest the simple adventure games made by Yahtzee of Zero Punctuation fame. 5 Days a Stranger, 7 Days a Sceptic, Trilby's Notes, 6 Days a Sacrifice. Primitive graphics, but cool atmosphere, and small and obscure enough that most people probably haven't played them.

On more well-known titles, I always liked Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, despite its numerous bugs and flaws.

Dark Corners was good but had some really annoying sections, plus terrible jank later on

Chakat sex pillow
    FEAR was brilliant. I'd even go so far as to say as it's the second-best game Monolith ever made (the first being Blood or NOLF/2, depending on the day of the week and whether I've had coffee yet). Its biggest flaw is that it is very samey in terms of its environments, but if you can forgive that, the combat and atmosphere is best in class. Chunkiest shotgun since Doom 2? Best slo-mo since Max Payne? Cool AI trickery? A surprisingly strong narrative that twists like a knife (but only if you pay attention to it)? Yes to all of that.

If you're playing it, Piggers, don't forget to also play Extraction Point. Fear 2 is the official sequel, but I think XP is the shorter, better follow-up to the events of FEAR 1.

henke - the only thing that's gonna make me happy is whether Stilt Fella is gonna feature a cornfield and pumpkin patch obstacle course

Other games to play if you've missed them:

Alien: Isolation (duh)
    SOMA (duh duh)
    Inside (duh, duh duh duh, duh duh duh duh duh duh)
    Stalker: SoC (this being TTLG I'm fairly sure you couldn't actually have missed this)
    Condemned: Criminal Origins (skip 2, which was so weird/stupid I still don't know if it was either a brilliant brainchild or a mildly retarded flailing, drooling, aboministic hellbaby)
    Cryostasis (think STALKER/SOMA but extra janky, with lots of ice, and set in a submarine - it's a great story, and a very interesting game if you can actually find it anywhere)
    Forbidden Siren (that PS2 game from the guy who made Silent Hill; old but still good, also still jank af just like you like it)
    The Evil Within 2 (much better to play than TEW1, and more interesting in terms of story, but still missing something I can't quite put my finger on; reminder to self - finish this game)
    Thumper - okay yeah this isn't horror, but it features a hallucinogenic beetle, prismatic sprays of colour, intense percussion, and some violently high-pressure gameplay; if that isn't scary then I don't know what is. Also it's billed as a 'Rhythm Hell Game', which explains it in three words while I took about three sextillion.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 27th Oct 2019 at 13:40.

This may give some good ones to try:

From that list, be sure to play Silent Hill 2 if you haven't already. One of the best games of all time. Of all the Silent Hill games, that is the one that I've returned to the most.

I will put another old title out here as it is an excellent horror game to me. If you haven't tried Undying yet you should. It is a good first person game that has a lot of good scary stuff in it.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    henke - the only thing that's gonna make me happy is whether Stilt Fella is gonna feature a cornfield and pumpkin patch obstacle course
    *scribbles down idea for Halloween 2020 Bonus DLC*

If a fella on stilts isn't perfect for wearing a Jack from The Nightmare Before Christmas costume, I don't know who is.

That reminds me. Grim Fandango would be another one. Not horror at all, as it's point and click adventure, but it's a eerie-ish themed.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Some may laugh, but the first Slender game was just so unnerving, it really made me uncomfortable to the point where I couldn't play it anymore. Never had the guts to fire up the 2nd one.

I just beat The Beast Inside last night and must say this is the first game I've played in quite some time that I felt like paying full price was worth it.

Plenty of jump scares, though they get kind of old as your progress through the game. I'd say it moved away from a ghost "spooky" horror to more of a psychological horror the further you progress.

Speaking of jump scares, Spooky's Jump Scare Mansion is free and good for a bit of fun, if you're not looking for something serious.

Sometimes, I like to play old adventure games around this time. Gabriel Knight and Quest for Glory 4 fit pretty nicely with the theme.

I just released my game Rats, Bats, and Bones out of Early Access this morning! Turn off the lights and put on the headphones if you think you are tough enough...

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah I just opened up Steam and saw it was updating! And it's got a -50% discount? Pick up Rats, Bats, and Bones y'all! It is, sincerely, one of my favourite games of the year.

Also smallfry, you gotta put that soundtrack on Spotify, it's great.

Someone elsewhere recommended I try the CARRION Sneak Peek (aka. demo). The concept is you playing as some sort of creature that seems to consist of 70% tentacles and 30% mouths, trying to work your way through a facility while eating the people there to both survive and grow stronger. The demo took me about 1/2 hour to complete, with a couple of deaths to the various defenses.

Quote Originally Posted by smallfry View Post
    I just released my game Rats, Bats, and Bones out of Early Access this morning!
    Congrats! You might want to let https://ratsbatsandbones.com/ know too, though? :)