TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 194 of 195 FirstFirst ... 94144149154159164169174179184189190191192193194195 LastLast
Results 4,826 to 4,850 of 4872

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Count me out then. Thats just boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray View Post
    I think the lights were always on, I watched the whole thing and they didn't really specify, or I missed it. Part of the experiment was that you were never sure what the time was, to see how you'd cope.
    I know it was meant more as entertainment than science, but, still, looking at one variable at a time, while keeping the others constant, it would have been easier to know what's what. Or call it something else, like "this is what isolation in prison might look like and see here what that does to people". Calling it an "anti-social experiment" and then introducing a number of extra variables, other than the social aspect, doesn't make for good science. As entertainment, it would still have worked under another title -- although I suppose singling out the social aspect makes it more relatable to people in general.

LittleFlower
    Agreed. No social interaction in real life for 5 days ? Easy. For 2 weeks ? Still easy. I've done longer stretches than that.

Not being able to call anyone on the phone ? No whatsapp ? No posting on forums ? No email ? That is indeed "no social interaction". A bit harder. But still doable.

No Internet, no TV, no music ? Wait, that's not "no social interaction". Interaction means the communication is in two directions. TV is not social media. And it is hardly really social interaction, in my opinion. No books ? This test is not about social interaction. This is about "how bored can you be without going up against the walls". I can keep myself entertained without other people for a long time. But not by staring at my bellybutton for 5 days.

Being locked up in a room for 5 days ? Ho, wait. That's something completely different. I am not really claustrofobic. But I rather not be locked up. Not leave the house for 5 days ? No problem at all. Staying in a (small) room for 5 days ? Without windows ? That would certainly mess me up.

Keeping the light on for 5 days ? What madness is that ? What are they testing ? They could just as well waterboard me for 5 days. Conclusion: what others have said: this is entertainment, this is not science.

About El Camino. I really liked it.
    I watched Breaking Bad at the time. But at first I didn't like S1 very much. I think I only started watching it (starting at S1 again) while S4 was finishing. In the end I did like the whole series, but it's far from one of my favorite shows. But El Camino was really cool. I'm sure if you haven't watched BB S1-S5 El Camino is pretty meaningless. But for me, El Camino was maybe better than BB itself.

Or maybe it was just the fact that I watched it on my new 65" TV. The pictures were sometimes gorgeous.
    Last edited by Gryzemuis; 22nd Oct 2019 at 09:22.

SShock2.com

Well it was a Channel 5 TV show, so hardly a scientific experiment. But it wasn't as stupid and manipulative as any random reality show they usually do either, so I found it quite interesting. Granted, it is a highly artificial situation, but I'd still be keen to try it. If nothing else to prove myself wrong in thinking "oh, I can so easily do that for a month or two, what are they whining about?"

Finished watching through Barry season 2. Whilst a bit more comedic at the beginning of the season, it's right up there with the first. Great stuff, and ends on a cliffhanger. God dammit, now I have to wait till next year for the 3rd season.

Moderator and Priest
    Just got through watching Midsommar.

Well, that was certainly fucked up, though not quite at the same level Hereditary was.

The last movie I watched was 99 Homes - I must say that I didn't expect this movie to be so good as it was (I checked IMDB rating afterwards; 7+).

Still Subjective
    Better Call Saul Season 4, finally.

Great show. Arguably better than BB.

I've greatly enjoyed the first two episodes of HBO's Watchmen and I'm curious to see where they'll take all of this. The series strikes me as smart, respectful of the original in the ways that matter to me but also audacious and ambitious in terms of where it is taking Moore's themes, motifs and techniques. It is a tightrope walk, though, and their ambition and audacity could well end in a big crash.

Has anyone here watched the first episode of the HBO/BBC co-produced His Dark Materials? I like what I've seen so far, and I suspect they'll be better able to do the complexities of Pullman's novels justice in this format. I will miss Sam Elliott as Lee Scoresby, though.

Just binge watched Better Call Saul, Breaking Bad and El Camino in that order. There was no point in watching El Camino.

Then I moved on to Hell's Kitchen and I am on season 13, and would you believe that it is super predictable?

Last night I started watching The King. It's interesting but it's slow. I think that trying to show how much time it actually takes to go to war and how long the wars and sieges drag on makes the story too dull. I'm only half way through so I'll post an update later maybe.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by mxleader View Post
    Just binge watched Better Call Saul, Breaking Bad and El Camino in that order. There was no point in watching El Camino.
    Your inadequacy has been noted.

Lol!

You both have a point if you take it in context.

El Camino is not fit for being part of the finale to the show itself. The show ended with Jesse driving off in hysterics, and for the purposes of ending the show, that was a perfect ending for it. And anything more would have been gratuitous and muffed it up. But El Camino isn't really meant to stretch out the final episode. It's meant to be one of those side-stories like they're doing with Star Wars, where it tells this independent story about some of Jesse's experience during the show and what happened to him that came out 5 years after the show ended. It's in that context, for people that are still really into the world of that show and 5 years later would love to hear a little more from it, that the movie was welcome.

That's consistent IMO with someone watching it literally right after they've just watched the final episode and feeling like it was gratuitous. It was gratuitous in that sense. But if you'd watch the final episode and wait five years to watch El Camino, I'm pretty sure you'd also think it was a cool independent addition, nothing ground breaking but cool to see.

For me it was pretty much the other way around. I enjoyed El Camino, but for me it made more sense as an extended coda and much less so as its own thing. It felt like I'd put away a book before reading the epilogue, picking up the book again several years later and realising that there were some pages I hadn't read. Seeing it seven years after Breaking Bad ended, it felt too much like "Why the long wait so we could see Jesse pretty much in the same place where the series ended?" It was well crafted, it was fun and tense, but with this much of a gap it doesn't feel like a coda, yet that's the only way it really works for me.

A few nights ago watched John Wick 3. Some of the best action scenes that I've seen in a movie in a long time. Gets stupid in the final act, so not a perfect movie. Nearly.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Watched Eighth Grade the other night. It was very relatable, this tale of the quiet kid, Kayla. I was expecting it to be awkward, and it is, but it's also surprisingly funny and heartwarming. And then there's the soundtrack, check out this nervewracking scene where Kayla gets invited over to the cool kid's pool party.

The music is "Nautilus" by Anna Meredith. She does the entire soundtrack, and it's all great. Overall, I loved this movie and will definitely watch it again.

Also watched:
    Hereditary - yikes! Toni Collette is so good in this.
    Prisoners - a 2013 thriller by Denis Villeneuve that I was surprised not to have heard of. Kind of a hard watch, but also has tons of great performances.
    Heart Beats Loud - pretty generic indie dramedy where Nick Offerman and daughter form an indie band and end up on the Spotify Indie mix of the week but oh no the daughter has to go to college and also Nick has to close his indie record shop and indie INDIE InDiE iNdIE you call him doctor indie, doll!
    Dolemite Is My Name - Eddie Murphy is great in this and overall it's a very fun watch.
    Holmes And Watson - this Will Ferrell/John C. Reilly teamup got slaughtered by the critics and imdb crowd so I went in with significantly lowered expectations, and that's probably why I thought it was ok. A lot of what made Talladega Nights and Stepbrothers work is here as well and I thought there were a few decent laughs.
    Captain Marvel - Didn't have high expectations of this one either, but it was ok. Has a "fish out of water" vibe to it that reminded me of 80's/90's actionmovies like The Last Actionhero and Suburban Commando. Not saying those are, y'know, good movies or anything, but it did give me an odd pleasant feeling of nostalgia.

Southquarter.com/fms
    I must really be in the minority, but I saw Joker last night and really didn't care too much for it. I usually like dark and gritty, but to me this was just sad and depressing. Maybe it's because I love Heath Ledger's joker character so much. This version of the Joker just seemed so simple to me, and I've always viewed him as being somewhat of a complex character, both intelligent and confident. One of the worst scenes I thought was the ending where he went on De Niro's talk show and killed him. The whole setup was just so implausible and farfetched to me, it just didn't make sense. I kept waiting for the revelation that it was all in his mind, just like his love interest storyline. Different strokes and all that, I guess, but this just wasn't my thing.

You do know that the majority of the second half of the movie was all in his head? The bit that was real was the Wayne murders. It does come down to interpretation, but that's mine.

Southquarter.com/fms
    You may be right on that, but I think the only place where it's obvious is with anything related to the "girlfriend" (as I mentioned in my previous post). Other than that, what indications did you have that this was the case?

I was ready to believe the entire talk show portion was a hallucination too, but then it was mentioned on the news broadcast shortly after that scene.

Another point I agree with, that I read somewhere, is that there's no way this person could ever become some criminal mastermind. He just isn't that bright.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    The whole setup was just so implausible and farfetched to me, it just didn't make sense.
    You mean the setup of him being allowed on the show? Not that farfetched, late night talk shows of that era brought on cranks all the time. Weirdos who they thought would make for good content, see Harvey Pekar.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    You may be right on that, but I think the only place where it's obvious is with anything related to the "girlfriend" (as I mentioned in my previous post). Other than that, what indications did you have that this was the case?[/SPOIL]
    The end in the psych ward, with the stuff with the "girlfriend" earlier, being the preview of things to come. As I said though, it does come down to interpretation and it is movies like that, where there are alot of unknowns, that I really enjoy.

Take the ending of The Total Recall (the original), Basic Instinct etc. Very ambiguous endings.

Been watching Emergence ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergence_(TV_series) ) enough to give an opinion.

It is a sci-fi show where the Fiction part goes deep into fantastical territory. Not a superhero show - but the fantastical part inevitably leans there (a'la Stranger Things).

While the sci-fi part is curiously interesting - it is kind of in the whatever category (Ahem, the show is titled Emergence. Don't expect anything intelligent.). What i find most compelling about the show is that all the main characters are likeable and act like decent normal human beings - which is very-very rare in TV shows. Drama that crops up is dealt admirably by not letting any problems grow to the point of actual drama - just bumps on the road of life to dodge or deal with.

I am strangely compelled to watch the show. Not sure why. Maybe because i have not seen actual humans depicted in a TV show. Usually it is a combination of overblown caricature of a mess and nonsensical writing (canonical example: drama caused by insufficient communication which is especially insulting when the sloppy communication is literally shown as starting a sentence and ending it after getting in a car and driving for SEVERAL hours ... x_x ... usually never actually getting to say the super important thing before some other bollocks in the script pops up to be dealt with).

Chakat sex pillow
    when the sloppy communication is literally shown as starting a sentence and ending it after getting in a car and driving for SEVERAL hours ... x_x ... usually never actually getting to say the super important thing before some other bollocks in the script pops up to be dealt with).
    I'm going to steal this if I ever make a movie. It sounds like a great transitional sequence where a guy or gal is starting out of their house while saying something SUPER IMPORTANT and gets into a car while still talking, and ends the sentence when they arrive at their destination hours later. The next thing that happens is whoever their bemused partner is looks at them and goes, 'What?'

Still Subjective
    Edge of Tomorrow. Again.

Cripes, what a great sci-fi that is. Cruise chooses great vehicles and he does a great job in them. This doesn't need the sequel they keep talking about, its perfect as it is. I don't know what took me so long to watch it again.

We need more Cruise sci-fi!

SShock2.com

You and I agree on many things. This is one where we do not.

More sci-fi? Yes. More Cruise. No. Much, much less Cruise.

On the topic of excellent sci-fi without Cruise, I've yet again started rewatching The Expanse, which has now moved from Netflix to Amazon Prime, the new season will be out shortly there and I feel I need to refresh my memory. I feel I can watch it over and over, there are so many details in it I keep missing.

Also, vaguely on topic, rewatching Futurama, also on Amazon, and only just realised I hadn't seen the final season, so hurray! More stuff to discover!

Page 194 of 195 FirstFirst ... 94144149154159164169174179184189190191192193194195 LastLast