TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Void Bastards

Void Bastards

Jonathan Chey's newest project under the Blue Manchu moniker is a single-player sci-fi FPS with comic-book visuals*, where you play as a crew of escaped prisoners, scavenging supplies from derelict space ships, crafting new tools and weapons, and trying to make it out of the Sargasso Nebula. It seems that whenever you die during a mission, you switch bodies to another of your "endless supply of prisoners, each with their own unique traits. When one dies, another steps forward to carry on the fight. Donít worry though, as any crafting progress youíve made is retained from one to another."

(*) XIII springs more readily to mind than Freedom Force due to the format, but there are some Freedom Force artists working on this.

https://voidbastards.com/presskit.html

Just announced as "coming soon" on GOG (and hopefully not far away as it's out already on Humble Store and Steam).

https://www.gog.com/game/void_bastards
    https://www.humblebundle.com/store/void-bastards
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/8...Void_Bastards/
    Last edited by Shadowcat; 8th Jun 2019 at 17:20.

The best part is that the vast majority of the game was developed in Canberra, Australia by many of the former Irrational devs who also worked in the same location.

So far it's an okay game. I expected more randomization, my first playthrough was almost identical to those I've seen on YT. E.g. ship layouts seem to be the same for every ship class, only events and enemy types vary a bit.

...and it's released on GOG now. That was quick.

Only for Windows and OSX at the moment. Hopefully a Linux version is planned.

Level 10,000 achieved

SURPRISE, BOOKFACE!

I'm playing this now too, courtesy of the XBox game pass. The permadeath structure makes it super tense. Feels kinda like Teleglitch or Strafe, but with plenty of clever gameplay twists. The focus on conserving ammo means you also gotta focus a lot on locking doors and opting not to shoot certain enemies if you can easily slip by. I like it!
    Last edited by henke; 13th Jun 2019 at 13:06.

It's not a full permadeath, you keep your predecessors' unlocks and resources, so the death itself isn't that punishing. Even the game jokes about how "clients" are expendable.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Indeed, but you still loose enough progress that it's giving me the same fear of dying as most permadeath games.

Level 10,000 achieved
    AaaaaaaAAAWWWWW FUCK

I can't get that ID card! I've gotten to the ship with the part several times now but I keep getting OWNED by all these VOID BASTARDS! >:|

Level 10,000 achieved
    I'm playing Void Bastards EVERY DAY, baby! I have now constructed a HR computer AND water cooling for it. I started on Hard but eventually turned it down to Normal. I think I like it more like this. The patients are the real bastards.

https://www.gog.com/forum/general/re...s_571bd/post36 says that GOG have now matched the 25% discount for System Shock 2 owners which was available elsewhere.
    Everyone who owns System Shock 2 on GOG.COM can now get Void Bastards 25% off! :)

The offer is valid until 1.07, 1 PM UTC.
    This is no doubt annoyingly late for some, but you could try contacting support -- perhaps they'd consider refunding 25% to your store account.

It sounds like you're having a good time, henke :)

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yes, I am enjoying it a lot.

A lot of the gameplay feels very fresh, and there's lots of clever details, like, for instance, the oil spills. When you step in an oil spill your character starts gliding around, making them harder to control BUT ALSO it makes you much faster. That means it's both an environmental hazard AND a power up! If you're trying to fight an enemy or navigate the environment with any grace you don't wanna step in one of these, but if you're in a rush to get somewhere? Jump right in!

Also the soundtrack is bangin.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I have done it, I have beaten VOID BASTARDS.

And it turns out... I was the void bastard all along. :|

I've been playing the game as well.

Unlocked a heap of stuff. I seem to be on a roll with my current player as I've lasted about 20+ jumps. On all the rest I'd only last for a few. Excellent game.

Now that you've played it, icemann, how fair do you think the Mooncrash comparison was? I know that comparison kind of soured you on Void Bastards, at least initially.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    I have done it, I have beaten VOID BASTARDS.

And it turns out... I was the void bastard all along. :|
    And you would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for those pesky... oh, you did get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Twist View Post
    Now that you've played it, icemann, how fair do you think the Mooncrash comparison was? I know that comparison kind of soured you on Void Bastards, at least initially.
    To me it's not really like Mooncrash. You have randomized traits per run (which you can improve later), you get to keep your gear but not the current ammo on next play through.

In Mooncrash there is a very restrictive time limit in place and that limit gets harder as you unlock more character slots, which = greater tension. VB does have a time limit but you can find oxygen machines which give you more (for that mission only) and you can find upgrade parts to give you a permanent upgrade to it. So time is far less a factor.

In MC you use the weapons you find and (from memory) start off with 1 weapon. In VB your restricted to 2 weapons, but it can be whatever you like once you've unlocked/built it.

So there are similarities sure, but they are 2 very different games. There are more differences than similarities so I'd not really compare them. Plus your progress (for that run) is saved when you quit, which you can come back to the next time you run the game.

The only annoying bit in VB is that when you die, its straight back to the start of the galaxy. But you keep whats unlocked, so its more a minor annoyance than a negative.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    So there are similarities sure, but they are 2 very different games.
    I think this is the tagline for the entire game.
    It's like Mooncrash but different. It's like Freedom Force/XIII but different.
    It's like System Shock 2 but different. It's like FTL but different.
    I think I'm still missing a few too.

The most addictive thig here imo is the risk-reward thinking between the ships. You need part x to craft thing y and it's on a ship z nearby, but it's full of monsters and you're way past half of your health, for example.

But the gameplay is rather average. Shooting is okay. Ship layouts seem to be randomized a bit, but they still look samey after some time, ant there's basically no lighting, everything looks super flat. So you either scan the bland environment for the green glowy bits, because that's where loot is, or you go to the helm, download the ship map, and then you go scan for loot, because that's the only optimal gameplay path.

The ship with the med machine off to the left as soon as you enter, I've seen quite a few times now. That more than the others.