TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: John Romero releases unofficial episode 5 for Ultimate Doom

He just didn't do anything significant past the Doom / Quake heyday, not sure if there's any other way to make it more simple. It's not a flak, because it's nothing emotional about it after so many years; it's more like a shrug.

So lets all just hate on him for all of eternity.

Sorry not happening. Guys a legend.

No one's hating, no one's portraying him as a villain. People are being skeptical.

When people start saying that he's only making Doom levels because he wants attention, that doesn't seem like just being skeptical to me. That sounds more like an attack on his character.

Second that.

Don't get me wrong, I think a healthy amount of skepticism is only a good thing, but what of his recent actions or words has warranted skepticism? He teased a new project connected with Doom in his newsletter and it turns out he's delivering exactly that -- a bunch of free Doom levels for the anniversary. I don't think there has been anything to warrant thinking that he's trying to coast on the success of Doom or that he has ulterior motives in making them.

Chakat sex pillow
    I mean, if I were a conspiracy theorist type I'd surmise something along the lines of, 'it's a good time for Doom-likes and Doom itself is undergoing a renaissance, so it's also a good time for an old creator involved in Doom to drum up some media publicity', but I'm not, and engaging with this sort of thinking tires me out by how petty it is, so... yeah, I'm just gonna appreciate the fact that he gave people something nice for free.

Now how about someone actually plays that new campaign and talks about it instead?

*renaissance = Doom 2016/Eternal. There's been mods aplenty in the interim like any homegrown modding base would be responsible for, but they're not exactly AAA returnees.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 19th Dec 2018 at 05:47.

Not been following the forums here for the past 25 years?

Doom 1 and 2's had numerous threads on it for mods released across that time. Not too many other games still getting good mods after this long.

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    When people start saying that he's only making Doom levels because he wants attention, that doesn't seem like just being skeptical to me. That sounds more like an attack on his character.
    He didn't do anything significant since Doom, and he probably knows it's the last thing he was known for. So he makes a couple more levels to attract attention to his new project (he even suggests preorders). Where's an attack in stating that? That's just what he seems to be doing right now. I honestly don't care how he acted behind the scenes back then, he's pretty nice guy during GDC lectures now. But even that doesn't matter to me, because he's no longer relevant. To me, Carmack is much more important, as I see what he did with e.g. idtech4 engine (I work with it on a pretty much daily basis now).

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    Now how about someone actually plays that new campaign and talks about it instead?
    It's not released yet. It's slated for February next year. There's a few videos of Romero playing it on Twitch though: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/347256967

Quote Originally Posted by Judith View Post
    He didn't do anything significant since Doom, and he probably knows it's the last thing he was known for. So he makes a couple more levels to attract attention to his new project (he even suggests preorders). Where's an attack in stating that? That's just what he seems to be doing right now. I honestly don't care how he acted behind the scenes back then, he's pretty nice guy during GDC lectures now. But even that doesn't matter to me, because he's no longer relevant. To me, Carmack is much more important, as I see what he did with e.g. idtech4 engine (I work with it on a pretty much daily basis now).
    Saying that he made the new Doom episode just because he wants to be in the center of attention seems like an attack on his character to me. Saying that he's doing it because he wants publicity for his next project would be something else entirely.
    Last edited by Starker; 19th Dec 2018 at 06:16.

And he was a big part of the original incarnation of Quake. That's certainly something since Doom.

Plus he was a big part of Dangerous Dave (sole creator), Commander Keen, Wolf3D then Doom 1 & 2.

[edit]
    Checked the Retro Gamer magazine website and they only have the first half of the interview up on their website. Need to get issue 75 for the rest. Grr. The half included covers everything up to id software.
    Last edited by icemann; 19th Dec 2018 at 08:09.

Some people here seem to believe Romero is someone who committed a huge crime and they absolutely need to drag his name in the mud at every opportunity. Yeah, Daikatana sucked hard. Yeah, he was pretty obnoxious with his rock star attitude. Yeah, Blackroom's KS failed hard.

But maybe, just maybe he's making these maps because he genuinely loves making maps for Doom? He made two maps a couple of years ago that were a ton of fun, and Sigil looks pretty damn kickass overall. No matter how you see it, Romero is a master level designer and it's always a treat to see new levels from him. I mean, even his Quake maps, made for a game he disliked, are amazing. Doubting his talent when it comes to making levels is plain stupid.

Also, if you want someone who genuinely rides on his success at id, look no further than Tim "I invented deathmatch" Willits, who is a far worse figure than Romero will ever be.
    Last edited by skacky; 19th Dec 2018 at 10:21.

Despite his dubious claim of coming up with the idea for multiplayer-only maps, Willits has accomplished significantly more at id than Romero. I'm not going to claim he's a legendary game designer or anything, but if you compare the games Willits has worked on and his role in them vs. the same for Romero, Willits has the more impressive resume.

Quote Originally Posted by skacky View Post
    Some people here seem to believe Romero is someone who committed a huge crime...
    Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Guys a legend.
    I think the problem here is that some people believe he's a legend - and should be above criticism.

I'd be interested in seeing Romero make some levels for nu doom. It would be cool to see how those come out.

Chakat sex pillow
    I actually wouldn't mind seeing Romero, Hall, and Richard 'Levelord' Gray (the feller in charge of some of the better DN3D levels amongst other things, if you don't know/remember) get together and do something like that for old time's sake either.

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    It's not released yet. It's slated for February next year. There's a few videos of Romero playing it on Twitch though: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/347256967
    Ah, I didn't see that. Thanks for the link!
    Last edited by Sulphur; 19th Dec 2018 at 13:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    I think the problem here is that some people believe he's a legend - and should be above criticism.
    Oh you can say all the criticism you like. I was more meaning that regardless it doesn't change my overall opinion of him based on how many good games vs bad ones he's been a part of. Also I judge him now based off what he's produced level design wise nowadays, which from what I witnessed in the Doom levels he released a few years ago were all excellent.

Maybe he's not as good when it comes to coming up with new games entirely, though I can't speak on that as to my knowledge only Dangerous Dave and the original version of Quake were his designs. But when it comes to level design skills he's right up there.

As for the Rock Star stuff. Honestly who wouldn't if you were in his shoes. I'm kinda surprised that more game designers haven't. Though that may partly be down to the the type of person most people in anything IT were like for the longest time, up to the 90s (nerdy sorts, and not meaning that as a negative). Where as Romero went more the long hair, rock metal type thing. If you look at the music industry, it's quite the norm for those in success to go crazy on booze, drugs, alcohol and hookers, and to make the most of their success while it's there. Why isn't it ok for games industry people to do that?

Games industry wise, it was quite the norm in the 80s when things were more solo game makers aplenty, for those who made a successful game to go crazy buying expensive cars, drugs etc etc.

To use a personal example, Bipolar which I released on Steam back in 2016 gained me massive popularity with the university I had studied at (largely as the game had been developed in the final year of the course, and was technically a uni assignment). It may have sold quite low worldwide, but I used that for every bit it would get me with the university. That got me a job there which helps support my wife and I, and has enabled me to finally have a job that really interests me, since it has that games dev angle to it. Is it wrong to use the success of a game you've helped develop to better your own life? I think not.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    metal rock

Sorry icemann, ninjaing it ain't gonna change QUOTES FOR TROOF

My bad .

But when it comes to level design skills he's right up there.
    For an old Doom game, not a modern title. There's a huge gap here.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

https://www.romerogames.ie/si6il
    John Romero has released his megawad for Ultimate Doom to celebrate the 25th anniversary. There's 9 SP levels and 9 arena MP maps.

Eh, I've played 6/9 SP missions and it's fine. Not gonna set the world on fire. Be prepared to be activating a lot of hidden switches. Playing it via Project Brutality mod makes up for the lack enemy variety of Doom 1.

Played this the other day. It is what it is - a pretty fun Doom episode. It was fun while it lasted!

What I'd like to see is him add even a single new enemy into these levels he does. All the mod makers in the world can add new enemies all they like, but to see what one of the original devs would add, would be quite interesting.

You'd need a source port of some kind to extend the game in that way, such as one of the forks of ZDoom. As far as I'm aware, John Romero has been targeting vanilla compatibility (or at most a limit-removing vanilla-format port like Crispy Doom) with the work he's released.

You can go some way with DEHACKED, but it's quite a limited and labor-intensive medium to do that kind of work in compared to using ZDoom's DECORATE system, and it can't actually append to the list of objects available in the game, only overwrite an entry with modified data. So unless Romero shifts his focus to making ZDoom-only content, we're not likely to see new monsters featured in his Doom releases.

One can dream.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123