Arkane's Deathloop

Looks like the greatest studio on earth is working on something new:

Still Subjective
    Interesting.

Not sure bout that aesthetic though.

ZylonBane
    Deathversity!

Level 10,000 achieved
    I like the aesthetic! Look forward to seeing some gameplay.

Chakat sex pillow
    What aesthetic? It's a few bits of concept art and a pre-rendered cinematic. It's like gauging Quake 2's art style from its opening movie.

Anyway, I love the concept, there's a bunch of really cool things that could come out of this that *aren't* GaaS related. I hope.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I was referring to all the colored lighting and the funky 70's-feeling of the graphical 2D elements. I'm assuming(hoping) these will carry over into the final product.

Chakat sex pillow
    I'd hope so too, but it's a bit early to say what the aesthetic even is without a gameplay video. We can guess it'll most probably be painterly/hyper-realism like Dishonored 2, or abstract sketchwork like the concept art, but that's still a guess at this point.

Cross-posting this: So we've got Escape from NY, Edge of Tomorrow, and Highlander/Mr. & Mrs. Smith set in Antarctica. I mean I'd play it.

Looking at it again, this short trailer didn't really capture me all that much. I mean it looks great and the gameplay looks polished. But it also has the flavor of a perpetual deathmatch, and can a story progress if you keep respawning? And if there is no real story, what's keeping me in this world? But Arkane has such a good track record that I'm willing to give it a chance and expect good things.

I have no idea what the game is. My initial thought was maybe it was The Crossing mixed with Mooncrash. Maybe you progress through a singleplayer mission-based adventure while other players are spawning in and trying to kill you, but when they do it resets the world and you keep your progress up to that point?

ZylonBane
    They're probably just iterating on what they did in Dishonored 2, where you can choose which character to play and they have different ability sets.

During GDC presentation on Mooncrash, they said that a mix of rougelike with im sim is where they see the future of this subgenre, so it wouldn't be a surprise if Deathloop was an example of this approach.

Worrying if true, since the idea of Mooncrash didn't appeal to me at all.

Mooncrash was absolutely fantastic. The idea of it didn't appeal to me either, but the execution was tops.

This trailer doesn't do much to excite me, and I'm worried about the direction given that recent articles have said they're going in a more industry-friendly multiplayer direction, but I'll give em the benefit of the doubt.

I got bored of Mooncrash pretty fast. Give us a Prey 2 already.

As for Deathloop. Does not interest me. Groundhog day + zombies. Meh. Need to see some actual gameplay.

Yeah, if you don't like games like Spelunky or Risk of rain, which were main inspirations for Mooncrash, you probably won't like that DLC either. I do get why they chose that route though. With roguelike structure and character-based playthroughs, they can show the bang for the buck you get with im sims much more effectively. This means kicking players out of their comfort zones though, so all the sneaky types will have to learn to survive using tank/assault and other player styles they may not like. Still a huge gamble, but better justified as business case than "we have 10 000 things less observant players can miss and still complete the game".

It looks good, and it is cool how they player character are people of color. Defiantly will check this out.

I read Rich Wilson's "dollar bills" explanation for why they went Rogue-like. The gist of it was that they don't want to make a linear game, but they also don't want to create lots of expensive content for an imm sim when most players aren't going to see or experience all of it. So rather than make 20 hours of content that supports multiple play styles and character builds, their solution is to make 2 hours of content, and use game rules like perma-death and forced character switching to make players get their 20 hours worth by replaying it 10 times over. Throw in some enemy respawning, time pressure, or other gimmicks to make sure imm sim fans don't explore and see everything on the first pass. Randomize some item locations and hazards so the later iterations don't turn into a speed run. And profit.

Personally, if they're not going to do imm sims anymore, I'd rather they just make a Valve-like linear shooter.
    Last edited by heywood; 11th Jun 2019 at 19:37.

"A place of mystery where looks can kill" - what does that mean? It sounded important, but the trailer didn't show anything about that. I think people are right that it'll cycle between characters when you die, but if I let my imagination get carried away, then I'm guessing that it'll save some of your previous runs, have the other character act them out, and you have to hide from yourself in some way. I'm probably completely wrong on that.

"Where looks can kill"

Sounds more like a James Bond flick.

The way that they said it and had it synced up to the visuals made it seem significant.