TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 611162126313233343536

Thread: T2FM: Saturnine's Rose Cottage (10-31-09)

Just a quick question. I found a book at the end of the treasure hunt with ultraviolet light. It highlights but when frobbed nothing happens. Is there anything that's supposed to happen with it?? Otherwise excellent mission that I have played multiple times since it was released. I just don't remember what that book was frobbable for?

Those Mannequins are following me!!!!

Tell me! Are they dangerous!? I'm about to have a heart attack! This is the third panic break within 30 Minutes!

Sorry, Stingm, I don't remember now.

@ Soccorro - no need to panic.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingm View Post
    I found a book at the end of the treasure hunt with ultraviolet light. It highlights but when frobbed nothing happens. Is there anything that's supposed to happen with it??
    My notes say that the treasure hunt should lead to a book with some drawings by the daughter. These are meant to be a first hint to the mystery of the five ghosts haunting the place. Later on, the player is supposed to find a dead man with an explanation of what happened with the people whose ghosts are around. Apparently, the book you found is the one with the daughter's drawings. No idea why nothing happens when you frob it.

I thought I was missing something. Its the only thing in the mission that don't work. Weird and thanks for the help.

Can someone tell me how to open the safe (in the bedroom with a lamp above it and 8 levers beneath)?
    I have a code from board with automatic moving cursor 643 but it doesn't look like code from safe...

Why! Why the answer is realizing by itself after a few minutes after the question was asked? That is sick.

For those who have the same problem with opening the safe: (put all levers to the lower position and switch only those according to the 3 digit code)

What? You want me to force ALL those ghosts in the puddle? Nah, I won't do that. 2 was already boring. I quit.

P.S. Visually FM is incredibly cool.

Played this back in the day (when I posted under a different name, though not on this thread, apparently).

Just replayed it.

Gorgeous, well-designed mission. Great atmosphere.
    I remembered very little so it was like it was new to me.

Kudos to the great minds behind it.

Trying to run this mission

I'm coming back to T2 fan missions for the first time in years and wanted to start with this one. It's the first time I'm using T2Fix and FMSel.

Rose Cottage loads up for me fine, but when the mission starts, it starts showing text on the screen that appears to be subtitles for Garret's dialogue from the first mission of the original Thief 2 game. Stuff about Basso, pickpocketing guards, etc. It keeps loading the same three or four lines of text over and over again. I tried loading up some other missions, and they don't have this problem.

Anyone know how to resolve this? I'd really like to try this mission.

Make sure you have the latest t2fix installed and are using a new fan mission loader. An example would be angelloader. If this don't help then give us more information on what you are doing. Try not to use any mods as well. Someone else will be along with more help.

The reason for the subtitles being displayed is the strange setup of the environmental sounds in the mission, and the game's inability to understand this. These sounds, e.g., wind sounds, are placed in files like Snd\Garrett\gar0111.ogg. The .ogg at the end does not matter to the game, and the folders above "Snd" don't matter either. In the original game, sounds like Snd\Garrett\gar0111.wav contain comments made by Garrett.

When "Rose Cottage" was created, about eleven years ago, there was neither a NewDark, nor was there anyone using NewDark's ability to display subtitles in order to show subtitles for Garrett's comments. This has changed since then. Unfortunately, NewDark now confuses the sound files of "Rose Cottage" with similarly named ones from "Thief 2" (at least when looking for subtitles). And if the player has installed the thief 2 subtitles, which can be done with T2Fix, these subtitles will usually be switched on, and NewDark will write the subtitle for Thief 2's Snd\Garrett\gar0111.wav on the screen when it plays Snd/Garrett/gar0111.ogg on the computer's speakers. Another mission where this happens is "Les Paolis" (near the canal), by the way, and I would not be surprised if players will find other missions, especially older ones, where this happens.

Unfortunately, most of the ways to disable these unwanted subtitles have a drawback. A mission author could use "empty" subtitles (which display an "empty string" on screen - not to be confused with text that contains just a blank/space!) for all of the sounds that have a name like one of the original game's sound files. However, the author of "Rose Cottage" has stopped making missions, as far as I know, so he won't do that. Would be a tedious task anyway, depending on how many sound files are present in a mission.

A mission author could also try an FM.CFG file with the line enable_subtitles 0 (that's the number zero, not the letter "O"). This would disable subtitles if they are enabled in the cam_ext.cfg file. If the subtitles are enabled in user.cfg instead, the FM.CFG trick would not work, since user.cfg overrides FM.CFG and cam_ext.cfg. And once again, the author of "Rose Cottage" will most likely not do it anyway.

Thus, the player must do something. First option: (S)He can look for a line saying enable_subtitles (without any zero at the end) in cam_ext.cfg and user.cfg. If the line is found, the player can place a semicolon (;) before the line, which disables subtitles. If the player wishes to turn on subtitles again, (s)he can remove that semicolon again. Unless you have severe problems using a text editor, this seems to be the most convenient way to solve this problem. If you play another FM which has subtitles, however, they are usually turned off by this as well.

Second option: Either don't install the Thief 2 subtitles, or delete/rename the folder with the subtitles in it, at least while playing "Rose Cottage". The folder is called "subtitles" and placed in the game's main folder. Rename it to "pubtitles" or whatever you like, and the game should not display these subtitles again.

Take your pick, then.

Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 611162126313233343536