TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789

Thread: Thief 2 FM: The Skygem Connection (27-12-2006)

been a while for this thread but i have looked at the 8 pages here and do not see my current prob.
    playing on 1.19 the video plays, first cutscene mission plays and get to the store for the 2nd but t2 crashes to dt when i "play mission".
    any ideas? would love to play this

Hi everyone,

I have exactly the same problem as ValmontPhl. I've tried various versions of Skygem Connection, but they all do the same - crash to DT right after you select weapons. Anyone have any idea on how to fix? I've played other T2 FMs today - no problems at all!

Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosh View Post
    I have exactly the same problem as ValmontPhl. I've tried various versions of Skygem Connection, but they all do the same - crash to DT right after you select weapons. Anyone have any idea on how to fix? I've played other T2 FMs today - no problems at all!
    Since this old mission was not built for NewDark, compatibility problems are a possibility. I guess you should both consider installing Thief version 1.18, possibly with a few other patches to ensure it runs with today's computers, and then try it with this installation.

Hi baeuchlein - many thanks for your reply and suggestion, which I've tried with my original 1.19 version. Sadly it still crashes at the same point. Ah well, there are lots of other FMs I have yet to enjoy and, as I've had no problems at all with any other FMs so far using the latest NewDark etc., I shall continue with those FMs that want to be played!

Thanks again, much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Bosh View Post
    many thanks for your reply and suggestion, which I've tried with my original 1.19 version.
    1.19 is the first NewDark version, not an original Thief 2 version. Most common original versions are 1.07 and 1.18, T2 NewDark versions currently are 1.19, 1.20 and 1.21 (the newest one), AFAIK.

Oh, that's me getting confused with the versions. It must be a 1.18 then - as in "straight off the original Thief CD". Still crashes at the start of the main mission. I might have another go later and experiment with a fresh T2 install on another pc. Thanks again

Playing 'straight of from CD' may mean it's 1.07, which is not recommended either.
    As for FMs: make sure to have the official 1.18 patch installed. This is a must!

Just tried myself : works OK with 1.18, but crashes rightaway in mission2 with NewDark (a.k.a. Patch 1.19 or higher).
    I was using the newer NewDark 1.21, though. And disabling any mods did not help.

NewDark 1.21 works fine for me with the latest FM version 1.02, and also with the original 1.0 version which I just tested. The second mission starts normally after the store, and I've played v1.02 over an hour on expert with no apparent problems.

I would suggest using Tafferpatcher if you haven't already, following the "How To" steps provided there. I believe I have all the mods and enhancements installed, and so far this mission looks & plays beautifully.

Crash to desktop in NewDark solved

Indeed, with the Enhancement Pack installed from Tafferpatcher, the mission will not crash on NewDark anymore.
    So, install that and you are fine.
    Thanks for the hint, Dahenjo!

Details:
    When opening the mission without that, DromED complains about not being able to load the resources for cloud1.pcx.
    This is included in EP.crf : fam\skyhw
    Obviously this is missing in the ZIP, since no prerequisite on EP (or anything else on that matter) is mentioned in the readme.

Just for comparison I loaded that mission in OldDark. There DromED complains about that missing resource as well, but the game would not crash when playing it normally.
    So, it seems like NewDark is a bit more picky about missing resources.

Copying fam\skyhw\clouds1.pcx into the mission ZIP fixes this issue.
    Last edited by gnartsch; 16th Jun 2013 at 09:57.

Hi gnartsch and Dahenjo - YES!! IT WORKS!! Thank you both very much.
    My combo is: T2 from the Mastertronic triple pack CD doodah (I think comes already patched to 1.18) with 1.21 NewDark and Tafferpatcher. Tafferpatcher was the missing link for me. Hurrah! Happy days. Mwa x

Good to see you got it working, Bosh, and nice job figuring out why it wasn't, gnartsch! Just wanted you both to know that it could be played with NewDark.

With new_mantle on you can escape from the beginning cutscene. When the keeper arrives, hold the door open to escape into the street and watch behind the scenes as AI actors run around by the window. Down the side of the ramp, by the lamp post, there's a hidden switch that triggers the start of the scene. If you click it, the keeper will exit the house and knock on the door again, starting the whole thing over.

I can't find the artefacts of talanvor

Couple of dml's

Mission 1: A camvator style opening scene in which players can mantle over an invisible wall, now fixed

Mission 2: Loot objectives on hard and expert now available.

Code:
    DML1//SkyGem Connection//Prison Fences/miss20.mis.dml

-ObjProp 35 "PhysType"
    +ObjProp 35 "PhysType"
    {
    "Type" None
    "# Submodels" 0
    }
    -ObjProp 35 "Position"
    +ObjProp 35 "Position"
    {
     "Location" 510.06,495.25,498.04