TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: NEW TG FM: Down in the Old Vault (12 Nov 2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Galaer View Post
    First room of factory, upstairs, climb on cistern.
    I would never have noticed that.
    Now to find keys for 1D and 1E.

what do i need to play a tg fm? use FM sel1.1.2.

Southquarter.com/fms
    You need to have a valid install of Thief Gold. Patch it up with Tfix. It has it's own version of FMSel.

This was a good one. More fun rooftop exploration than I was expecting and a solid atmosphere and mood throughout.

Story was also fun though fairly low-energy; if I was going to offer a critique it'd maybe be to include some way to resolve the situation under the bank - but it's entirely arguable that Garrett wouldn't bother with something like that.

But yeah, that was a solid two hours of exploration that was never frustrating. Well done!

My (second) playthrough of the mission, ironman, expert, 4K. Hour and a half long.

https://youtu.be/ok3EYQ1MAUM

Really cool level. I found more details this time that I didn't the first time. It was worth a second play.
    Last edited by FlowstatePhoenix; 28th Nov 2019 at 04:29.

Thanks for releasing this great fan mission! Congrats!

This missions theme gave me a good vintage Thief Gold gameplay feeling through its overall nostalgic and simple level design. Lood placement was very clever, I missed a lot (and the vault key 1E, too). I will search for it again. I liked your invitation to find out other ways to pass locked doors; it also was an invitation to the players creativity.

Near to the end of the mission, I was a little bit saddened about the relatively short descent into the old vault. I really wished the missions peak was longer or the player has to turn off a nasty trap to get the gold... But this is just a personal note.

Overall, I would give it a 7/10 to 8/10 rating - a solid mission with very, very slight flaws (see previous posts about street lighting issues). I would like this gem again with an excellent polish

Excellent fan mission! My score: 8,5/10.

+ Great ambient sounds.
    + Rewarding rooftop exploration with a lot of interesting places to go.
    + Atmospheric mansions with a classic Bafford's feeling.
    + I really liked the new staircases.
    + Useful implementations, such as the new keyring.
    + The lack of annoying keyhunts, loothunts or cryptic puzzles.
    + The Old Vault was extremely well-designed. I loved the lush, green colours, flying skulls (is it possible to destroy them?), and the prisoner cells.
    + The Keepers' Area was a nice addition.
    + Short, yet interesting readables.
    - Boring, empty streets. Adding two or three shops that you could break into would solve this problem.
    - Getting into the vault was too easy. I would add periscope watchers for the sake of additional difficulty.
    - The Old Vault could have been bigger, with traps and more loot to find.

Is it just me, or do we have a renaissance of fan missions with classic, dark medieval vanilla aesthetics? There have been so many great TG missions released recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Aemanyl View Post
    flying skulls (is it possible to destroy them?)
    Yes, it's possible with fire arrows

My questions:
    1) Does anybody have a list of those "precariously placed gold goblets"? I found a few, but obviously not enough of them.
    2) In the old gardener's attic how to make his tree grow golden apples? Simply using water arrows does not work...

There was something readable in a courtyard, most likely between the Bank and Fitzgerald's place. Something about very good water from deep down pouring out of the fountains. Furthermore, the bank is supposed to be built on top of an old pagan temple, which would also fit in with the idea of having "special water" from deep down in the courtyard nearby. But I did not find out anything that seemed unusual about that water. Neither did I find anything with which to carry some of that water, such as an empty bottle or a similar vessel.

There also was a note about the old gardener. A nobleman and a noblewoman were making fun of the gardener's fruitless efforts of making golden apples.

But so far, all this only seems to be a myth, red herring, or other non-important thing.

Anyway, this was a good mission that provided several hours of good old thievery, roaming around in nobles' houses, whacking guards' heads in a bank, and even stealing from some other thieves, noble and not-so-noble ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Marbrien View Post
    ...I've done pretty much everything I need to do, including some golden apple horticulture!
    How did you do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Sagittal View Post
    I got a Bonus objective for finding Five precariously placed gold goblets.
    Do you happen to remember the locations of those trinkets? I must have missed at least one...

Quote Originally Posted by csamba View Post
    Do you happen to remember the locations of those trinkets? I must have missed at least one...

All locations are external windows one floor up from ground/street level some higher than others

1) NE from Branson, just West of bakers shop, wooden beam above window
    2) SE corner of central garden at Mossgate Bank
    3) Near gargoyle outside Wilson's mansion
    4) At Nichols mansion opposite gargoyle on Mossgate Bank
    5) At Randolph's mansion above his window at ground level with lockable shutters

Quote Originally Posted by Sagittal View Post
    All locations are external windows one floor up from ground/street level
    Thanks a lot. It was #1 and #5 I missed...

Quote Originally Posted by Urumo View Post
    I have watered the poor apple tree in the greenhouse and got 2 golden apples.
    How did you do that? Simple water arrows do not work...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234