TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Thief 2 multiplayer not starting

Thief 2 multiplayer not starting

When I click on the "Thief2MP.exe" I get this message saying "This app can't run on your PC. To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher" How do I get it to work if I'm seeing this instead?
    Last edited by mcmike1489; 21st Jun 2019 at 02:54.

Never seen that before. That is interesting.

What version of windows are you running? Also include whether it is 64 bit or 32 bit.

Did you also try right clicking the EXE, going to properties, then checking the Compatibility tab and selecting a compat mode?

Oh ok, well the message is a blue window it shows with white letters. The same color when your battery is running low on your laptop. I’m using Windows 10 Home 64-bit I did not right click the exe and checked the compatibility mode because I don’t know which compatibility mode I should use, which one do you suggest?

I checked my old version of thief2.exe from my pre-newdark patch install and I have it set to Windows XP Service Pack 3. Also check 'run this program as an administrator.'

Ok, I'll try that out. Perhaps Windows 10 doesn't know what the path for the executable is set to for the way it is right now? That should help hopefully, thanks!

I hope that helps but beyond that I'm not sure what else to suggest. Maybe start over fresh and reinstall the multiplayer part to your game install and see what happens.

Either that or just wait for the next update that Jax, Voodoo and FEN are currently working on. I saw on one of the threads, they are working on a number of fixes for it.

thief multiplayer aka thievery has had issues from day one,from decades ago it never worked right in anyway,the game play was wonky as all hell and use to be you picked thief or guard and it blew bad

not sure why they keep trying to make a single player game into multi

long live thief 1/g/2 fan missions

So, you're saying it's a bad idea to make a singleplayer game into multiplayer that's really not compatible at all? I understand that Thief 1/Gold and Thief 2 never included a multiplayer feature when it first came out.

Quote Originally Posted by downwinder View Post
    thief multiplayer aka thievery has had issues from day one,from decades ago it never worked right in anyway,the game play was wonky as all hell and use to be you picked thief or guard and it blew bad

not sure why they keep trying to make a single player game into multi

long live thief 1/g/2 fan missions
    I think you are referring to Thievery UT, that is something else entirely which we are not talking about.

Thief 2's multiplayer patch (which is what this thread is about), in its current form, was just established as part of of the latest NewDark Patch. The prior version of multiplayer, was introduced by Tos in 2008 as a separate patch, which was 11 years ago, not "decades ago."

Furthermore, you are entitled to your own opinion but some folks just like the idea of playing a game with a friend and I see no problem with it. Let people have their fun, I understand it may not be your cup of tea but don't try to diminish others' interest in something because you think it is a bad idea. And sure, there's going to be issues with things like this because it is being done by a third party and is an addon to a game that was not built from the ground up with multiplayer.

You can still play Thief 2's main story line on your own, without the fact that the multiplayer patch exists interfering with your ability to play your singleplayer game.

Finally, circling back to Thievery, did you mean the concept itself of replicating Thief into a multiplayer game is not something people should try to do?

Also, the issues you describe from Thievery are inherent to that mod for UT and are irrelevant to what we are discussing here, as that is something different whereas what we're talking about is using the original game to play online, not trying to replicate the experience in another game's engine.

I do notice that Thief 1/Gold doesn't have a multiplayer or was even created. Sorry to change the subject, but will the first Thief game get a multiplayer feature as well in the next update for NewDark?

I can't speak for the developers, although I doubt that will come as a feature for Thief 1/Gold with NewDark.

What made Thief 2 multiplayer possible in the first place I think was due to there being a tiny amount of code inherent within the Thief 2 exe, which Tos (the original multiplayer patch reference here with the author, from before NewDark) just hooked into. Multiplayer was starting to become a consideration apparently but the developers never fully pursued it for Thief 2 but left the code in there. However, the developers that built System Shock 2 later after Thief 2, which used the same game engine but updated, ultimately decided to include multiplayer as part of the game.

Oh ok, I understand. The original developers at Looking Glass Studios were probably thinking about adding a multiplayer feature to the game, but didn't quite confirm it with the release of the original game 20 years ago. At least we get it in Thief 2 though. As for Thief 2X: Shadows of the Metal Age and Thief Deadly Shadows, it would be nice to see a multiplayer added to those games as well, but it depends if they can handle it playing without a lot of bugs and glitches. Not even Thief (2014) can ever have a multiplayer feature sadly.
    Last edited by mcmike1489; 25th Jun 2019 at 00:33.

You realize that t2x is just an extension of thief 2 , right? It's the same game engine. So, you should be able to run it with multiplayer. As to how I'm not sure. I guess you would have to make a separate install , or package t2x into a zip and launch with FMSel or other FM loader, then launch thief2mp.

Yeah, true. I think you can do that too, but no one has mention it before in the other threads. Thanks, now I know. Setting up the multiplayer for T2X should be the same way like Thief 2. I'll have to try that and see if it works.

As for Thief Deadly Shadows, multiplayer would look so cool in higher graphics.
    Last edited by mcmike1489; 25th Jun 2019 at 13:05.

Mike, I just saw this thread this morning: https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthre...=146658&page=2

This is what you need, regarding T2x. As for playing it with multiplayer, I imagine you can just run t2x as an FM and launch the thief2mp.exe

Cool, thanks! I’ll check that out. Just set the path to thief2mp.exe in the t2x.exe properties menu.