TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 49141516171819

Thread: Therapy-forum: Tell us the story behind your username

A 3 year Necro on a 12 year old thread? Most impressive.

Abridged from F#A#(Infinity), an album which really influenced me about 5 years ago.

From a great Midnight Oil song. (That's just a demo recording... the album version is an instrumental on French horns and assorted brassery. Not sure why the switch...)

Quintus was already taken, and I once toyed with the idea of writing a "sequel" to the Bonehoard mission.

Well, once upon a time there were two Larrys, a LarryT and a LarryG. Guess which one I was.

Primary I wanted to register the username "zappenduster" like in the german and french forum, but that failed. So I choosed the short form "zappen".

Zappenduster is german and means pitch-black or pitch-dark. Just like we usually play Thief ...

BTW: Is it possible to change the username to that one I primary chosed?
    My FM campaigns Garrett's Young Years XTra, Reunion With Basso
    Want your upcoming FM translated in foreign languages?

I'm sending you a pm, zappen.

I took my nickname from an awesome little children's game I had on Linux a few years back where you had to make a face for a giant potato. For some reason I thought it was a brilliant game. I think TTLG might have been the first place where I actually used the name.

After a while nickie kept calling me Spud because she didn't want to write PotatoGuy all the time. So because of her laziness I use 'Spud' as nickname most of the time now.

I'm pretty sure I've also called you Taters and Tips. It's good to see you back here again.

No cool story for me either, I'm afraid. Been here off and on since 2001 or so, and before that since about 1999, maybe (under the username Candlemass, then Candlemass-II. Candlemass is the name of a Swedish Goth-metal band)...

Hit Deity is a twisted around, changed form, of Godsmack (a heavy metal band, if you haven't heard of them somehow) and I just continued using the name Hit Deity here, there, and all over, after it stuck with me.

I'm also Hit Deity at the Steam user forums, but my Steam name for games is parfocal. Another username I picked up when registering at websites of a more scientific or astronomical type nature.

I'm now partial to the nickname EbonHawk. I use it primarily now for just about everything. (It's a ship from Star Wars, if you haven't heard of it before.)
    Last edited by Hit Deity; 18th Oct 2012 at 18:44. Reason: **oops, had put 'not partial to the nickname...'

No story behind it, it's borrowed from a Depeche Mode b-side with the same name:
    http://grooveshark.com/s/Kaleid+When...x/4PCDFd?src=5

Quote Originally Posted by Azaran View Post
    It must be so awesome to have its own wiki article

Vurt is a psychedelic (kind of) drug/portal in the book with the same name by Jeff Noon. Great book! I used to be very interested in psychedelics. Been long since i used though, it's both interesting and scary. I'm too old (and too cool) for drugs nowadays (but most of all, too scared hehe).

A Noblewoman's name, sort of like Lady Van Vernon, or Lady Bafford, only I am a taffer, so. . Lady Taffer.
    A friend of mine--the one who got me into Thief in the first place--saw my username and remarked: "So does that mean you taff ladies? HAR HAR"
    Realizing too late that that's easily how my name could be interpreted, I groaned and lowered my face into my palm.

Uh, I dunno if I've ever explained the origins. But isn't it obvious?

'Bored out of my tiny mind at work' Necro!
    Purgator?
    I'm an early music fan and one of my favourite tunes is a sombre ditty called 'Purgator Criminum'. Roughly translated as 'He who cleanses sins'.
    Purgator is also a popular brand of windshield cleaner. I'm not that clean or popular if truth be told.
    Nice thread this. I read Lady Rowena's contribution and it made me smile.
    Lots of new Taffers here, so why not give us your username backstory?
    Go on. I have 3 more hours until I clock off!
    Last edited by Purgator; 5th Jul 2019 at 12:12.

I was a big fan of the Dizzy games from the 80s. Must have spent hours playing Treasure Island Dizzy, Fantasy World Dizzy et al.

So I named myself after the village of Cigam, which appears in the first game.

I suck at improvising names, so I just kind of hammered out this incomprehensible guttural.

You'll probably find mine rather uncreative/boring but I'll share my story anyway.

So, I was just a teenager and was super into Thief and talked to the owner of a Thief fan site. He told me to check out TTLG and I ended up joining and becoming a regular member. As you can surely guess, "sneaksie" is a reference to something the rat beasts said in the first Thief game, if memory serves. Garrett, well that one is obvious. And well, you put those two words together and it's referring to Garrett being a sneaky person, just in a Thiefy way rather than just a plain old "sneaky" or something.

Also, to try to be clever/creative/different, I decided to capitalize the 'N' rather than the 'S' in my username. I was not good at coming up with a username but loved Thief and wanted my name to represent the game and Garrett, so there you go. Admittedly, looking at it now I realize just how plan and uncreative my name is.. but everyone knows me as this and I couldn't see me changing it now, plus I don't think it is allowed (is it?)

Mine is simply the sound my blackjack makes when smacked upon some unfortunate AI's noggin. It comes from "bish bash bosh" - an expression of speedy and satisfactory completion of a simple or straightforward task. As I do prefer to sneak around AIs, the occasional act of boshing someone on the bonce is a most satisfying and speedy thing.

Esmerelda Weatherwax ane wytch

I was rather obsessed with Zen Buddhism 20 years ago. Shoshin, roughly translated, means Beginner's Mind. Taken from Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu Suzuki.

These days it's a reminder to myself that I don't know everything. Or anything, really.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 49141516171819