TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blender Toolkit

No. I recommend the Dark Exporter form 2.79.
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/darkexporter/

How does this toolkit compare to this one?

The one you found doesn't support objects with vhots. I'm not sure about sub-objects.

What model types are supported for import/export and did you manage to fix the 64char limit..?

import: .e files
    export: .bin files
    (Dark Engine)

The 64 char limit is to do with Material names, and that's down to Blender itself. It's only an issue for the TDM addon I wrote but that's a separate thing.

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    The one you found doesn't support objects with vhots.
    What do you mean?

Objects with vhots get combined into a single mesh before export. The same may happen with axles and subobjects but I haven't verified that.

This thread demonstrates the vhot problem:
    https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149636

You clearly know a lot more about the .bin file format than I do, so I'm sure you can experiment with a simple object with a vhot and compare the bin file generated with your plugin with a bin file generated the old way, or with a different plugin (Dark Exporter works up to Blender 2.79, the modified Blender Toolkit works from 2.8 onwards).
    Last edited by R Soul; 1st Sep 2020 at 18:20.

Models can have attachment points (hotspots) for external objects. To define a hotspot for an object, create an empty and make it a child of the object. During export, empties are sorted by name per parent object. Keep this in mind when you give them names, so that you get the correct hotspot order in DromEd.
    Vhots are generated from Blender empties not from Blender meshes. Don't model small cubes. Just sprinkle a few empties and put numbers on them.

Right, that's nice to know.

Since your plugin create the bin files directly, is it able to get around the object poly limit? Or is it a limitation of the file format rather than BSP?

R Soul
    It's a file format limitation. The definition of the last polygon has to begin no further than byte 65535 of the polygon chunk. Whatever starts beyond that is invisible to the engine.
    You can't cram in more polygons, but you can control their drawing order with named vertex groups and avoid BSP subdivision, which can blow up the polycount unpredictably.

The definition of the last polygon has to begin no further than byte 65535 of the polygon chunk.
    So, if I understand it correctly - you can have up to 2114 polygons, as each polygon struct is 31 bytes. 2114 * 31 = 65534. Is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by PinkDot View Post
    each polygon struct is 31 bytes
    That's true for triangles. Generally, the size of a polygon is variable and depends on the number of verts.

Bump.

For some reason I didn't include material property instructions in the readme. I've just put them in, so if you've used this before and thrown it in the bin because it everything was flat shaded, give it another try.
    https://github.com/RSoul82/Blender-NewDark-Toolkit

Planned to add support for double sided materials. The e file is just plain text so I'm not sure why I didn't implement it earlier.

(or feel free to continue using whatever other tools you use)

edit: Double sided materials are now supported, instructions in the updated readme in the link above.
    Last edited by R Soul; 11th Feb 2021 at 16:41.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12