TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415

Thread: T2 FM, "Bad Debts" (17/12/2007) (UPDATED 17/01/2016)

Finished this mission, had a blast (literally with the dopefish's blessing!). I'm still about 900 loot short of the total. There's a few areas I haven't gotten to: The sorceror's crypt, the shop and anywhere I don't know of I suppose. I read about the key, but how do I get into the crypt?

You can't enter the crypt itself, but if you disturb the sorcerer's remains by shooting him with a water arrow, he'll come out to say hi.

Quote Originally Posted by Peanuckle View Post
    I'm still about 900 loot short of the total. There's a few areas I haven't gotten to:.... the shop
    If you mean the pawn shop, I think there is a key in the room with the dead guy upstairs. Or failing to find that, blow open the door with a mine.

Looks like I'm stuck.

I'm trying in to drop the quest item into the chute, but the objective won't tick off, no matter what I do. Previously I dropped a smaller hammer in there to see what would happen, so maybe that's what is causing me problems now? I'm not sure when the objective should be completed, right when the item is dropped in there, or when it fully reaches the bottom of the chute. I'm thinking about the possibility that the hammer poses as an obstacle...

Classical Master 2008
    It takes a few seconds to register the objective. If that doesn't work, try retrieving the hammer I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by Melan View Post
    It takes a few seconds to register the objective. If that doesn't work, try retrieving the hammer I guess?
    I did both. Unfortunately, the chute is too long and the hammer is unreachable. I tried to blow it out with mines and a fire arrow as well, but it won't even budge.

Classical Master 2008
    If you can't get it out via forward leaning, you may have to reload a save.

But I am really getting curious about this story about how and why the hammer got into that place.

Quote Originally Posted by Melan View Post
    If you can't get it out via forward leaning, you may have to reload a save.

But I am really getting curious about this story about how and why the hammer got into that place.
    Looks like a restart is in order then.

Well, there was a diary or something in a cellar which mentioned that the thieves robbed some stuff from the Hammerites. I found their hideout along with all the loot, and then stumbled upon this little chute with the "generosity" text above it. I had no idea it was there for a quest objective (I was still in search of the "letter of debt"), so I took back one of their stolen hammers and dropped it there in hopes of witnessing something to happen. Alas, that was not the case, and I wrongfully believed that some reward would be bestowed upon me in case of returning a stolen holy symbol...

Classical Master 2008
    Ah, all right! That's pretty creative, wish I had thought of that. But I obviously didn't.

This must be my favourite mission ... I keep coming back to it. I haven't read through this thread yet but has anyone found the area where it says 'Kneel' and there's a weird symbol (fish?) on the wall?

I believe that is the dopefish. Its a well known easter egg. It comes from id software games specifically Commander Keen 4. Glad you found it. Its also in a lot of other games amd mods as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingm View Post
    I believe that is the dopefish. Its a well known easter egg. It comes from id software games specifically Commander Keen 4. Glad you found it. Its also in a lot of other games amd mods as well.
    I saw it in Quake, specifically on the level named The Crypt of Decay.

I love this mission, but I am unable to finish it as I cannot find the key to leave Downlock Quarter. Could a kind taffer point me to its location?

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Cat View Post
    I love this mission, but I am unable to finish it as I cannot find the key to leave Downlock Quarter. Could a kind taffer point me to its location?
    With landlords leave,
    the glyphs you'll see,
    down the hall,
    there key will be!

I prefer the highway though and I leave the key behind.

Classical Master 2008
    It depends on the difficulty. On Normal, you have three options:
    A key you will find in your apartment at Stoll Court once your have looted the landlord's place, opening the gate on Short Lane.
    A key held by thieves in a coal cellar under the "W" house, opening their small storeroom opposite the usurer's, and an exit to an alley.
    A key on the belt of a watch officer near Highgate.

On Hard, the first option is no longer available. On Expert, the third option is unavailable as well - the key has been stolen by a cat, and left in a windowsill above one of the courts to the northwest (between seeing square and the coronet - it glows in the dark slightly).

There's been many excellent FMs since this first appeared, yet this is the one FM I keep coming back to time & again.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415