TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Can we expect a new Thief game?

Can we expect a new Thief game?

Hello, now that Embracer owns this IP, do you think the series has any potential and could be resurrected?Or is it better to leave it as it is?There has been such a huge silence since 2014...

Please no

simply contact them and ask,you never know what they might say

Unless someone buys the IP that actually loves the classic feel & atmosphere, hell no leave it alone. If I suddenly came into a billion dollars, I would buy several IP's, remaster them in the classic style while bringing the engine & graphics to fully modern capacity. Then work on a new game.

I feel that Garrett & The City have a lot of really good stories that could be told & I am not talking about pre-quell's either.

Quote Originally Posted by Estel Randir View Post
    Unless someone buys the IP that actually loves the classic feel & atmosphere, hell no leave it alone. If I suddenly came into a billion dollars, I would buy several IP's, remaster them in the classic style while bringing the engine & graphics to fully modern capacity. Then work on a new game.

I feel that Garrett & The City have a lot of really good stories that could be told & I am not talking about pre-quell's either.
    Embracer acquired several square enix ips, so in my mind, I was thinking they could make use of the Thief Ip soon. I would want to see a game faithful to the original series if it happened, but also understand people's fears because nowadays, old ips are often ruined with sequels that include Gaas, wrong game design choices,etc.

Surely, Thief deserves a new game and more. This can't be denied. But you can't have a good Thief game anymore. It's too late now.

There was good game developers back then. They cared everything about a game. Today it's hard to find the proper team. Also, luck too. There is no guarantee things go well. If things go well, even if they don't repeat Thief 3's failures, you can't expect to have a good Thief game as Thief 3.

A good Thief requies a good story, innovation, good sound system, not open world but non-linear levels, hand sketch maps, freedoom charachter playing, non-casual gaming experience, dark ambient sound. A good Thief requies literature, religion and mysticism. A good Thief requies philosophical details. And more. That something you can't get today. There are no more talented Looking Glass people. Time has changed. Expectations and goals in game development has changed. Most game developers no longer care about game but their money in the pocket. We are talking about Embracer here, who nothing to do with Thief and owns many companies.

Thief 3 wasn't true Thief game as Thief 1 and Thief 2. Despite it's failures, it was a good game. At least, at one point, Thief 3 was able saved the legacy of the series without ruining more. Let's look at the point NuThief trash brought Thief today. NuThief ruined Thief name. The majority prefers NuThief over trilogy. They don't even try to play the trilogy. NuThief gets more preferred. In the stealth fan made works, you never see Thief mentioned or you see NuGarrett but in the background. No need to say more what NuThief trash brought. Nowadays, there is no point to make another one for nothing.

As a Thief fan, I would like to see the trilogy remastered. I would like to see Nightdive remaster the trilogy, like what they did to System Shock 1 and what they doing to System Shock 2 now. Thanks to NewDark author, Thief is in the better place, but not enough. NewDark is ok. I see unused potential. I believe removing or at least, extending the limitations on Dark Engine, more changes and more mod support, it will not only benefit the fan mission creators, but also resurrection of Thief. Remastering of Thief games might give the attention and value Thief deserves that it hasn't get yet, a little bit or maybe more. I don't even want to talk about the fall in the number of the fan missions in recent years.

i think if a game is made to show proof of concept they should make a prequel to thief 1 ,if it does well then they can make thief 4,then a movie

i like new content

Quote Originally Posted by redfalcon View Post
    Embracer acquired several square enix ips, so in my mind, I was thinking they could make use of the Thief Ip soon..
    Well they are ruining Gothic 1 as we speak. They will include all modern utter garbage systems of loot collecting, achievemts, all those cut scenes, etc that they started using in Tomb Raider reboots and Horizon Zero franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Outsider One View Post
    Surely, Thief deserves a new game and more. This can't be denied. But you can't have a good Thief game anymore. It's too late now.

There was good game developers back then. They cared everything about a game. Today it's hard to find the proper team. Also, luck too. There is no guarantee things go well. If things go well, even if they don't repeat Thief 3's failures, you can't expect to have a good Thief game as Thief 3.

A good Thief requies a good story, innovation, good sound system, not open world but non-linear levels, hand sketch maps, freedoom charachter playing, non-casual gaming experience, dark ambient sound. A good Thief requies literature, religion and mysticism. A good Thief requies philosophical details. And more. That something you can't get today. There are no more talented Looking Glass people. Time has changed. Expectations and goals in game development has changed. Most game developers no longer care about game but their money in the pocket. We are talking about Embracer here, who nothing to do with Thief and owns many companies.

Thief 3 wasn't true Thief game as Thief 1 and Thief 2. Despite it's failures, it was a good game. At least, at one point, Thief 3 was able saved the legacy of the series without ruining more. Let's look at the point NuThief trash brought Thief today. NuThief ruined Thief name. The majority prefers NuThief over trilogy. They don't even try to play the trilogy. NuThief gets more preferred. In the stealth fan made works, you never see Thief mentioned or you see NuGarrett but in the background. No need to say more what NuThief trash brought. Nowadays, there is no point to make another one for nothing.

As a Thief fan, I would like to see the trilogy remastered. I would like to see Nightdive remaster the trilogy, like what they did to System Shock 1 and what they doing to System Shock 2 now. Thanks to NewDark author, Thief is in the better place, but not enough. NewDark is ok. I see unused potential. I believe removing or at least, extending the limitations on Dark Engine, more changes and more mod support, it will not only benefit the fan mission creators, but also resurrection of Thief. Remastering of Thief games might give the attention and value Thief deserves that it hasn't get yet, a little bit or maybe more. I don't even want to talk about the fall in the number of the fan missions in recent years.
    Sadly, I agree with much of what you say. Games like Thief 1 & 2 (even with their flaws) are rare moments in any media realm. Moments when something special came together. Often copied but never reproduced.

Sure there's a chance. I'm kind of wary, but sometimes you really can't predict.

I think it might be interesting if they bucked the trend and took it literally back to its retro roots, since retro FPS games are now actually a thing.

The only way you could get a good thief game these days is:
    1. All the current fan mission authors/contributors created a studio and bought the IP.
    2. The IP was bought by probably a japanese studio that respected the original

Any western studio would never make a good thief game, most of them have forgotten how to make good games, period.

What I would want more than a new Thief game is a Direct X Revision and update for the current T1 & T2, to allow for all current existing pixel shader, texture mapping and raytracing technologies, without changing anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Dii View Post
    The only way you could get a good thief game these days is:
    1. All the current fan mission authors/contributors created a studio and bought the IP.
    2. The IP was bought by probably a japanese studio that respected the original

Any western studio would never make a good thief game, most of them have forgotten how to make good games, period.

What I would want more than a new Thief game is a Direct X Revision and update for the current T1 & T2, to allow for all current existing pixel shader, texture mapping and raytracing technologies, without changing anything else.
    I think IOI studio might be able to pull off a thief game

I disgaree. IOI's Hitman series games are barely playable, imo. Highly contrived stealth situations and mechanics. As far from Thief stealth gameplay as I can think... similar to most any other "stealth" game or stealth implementation in a game since Thief.
    Last of Us - Highly contrived stealth
    Uncharted - Highly contrived stealth
    Dishonored - Highly contrived stealth
    Hitman - Highly contrived stealth

If Thief 1/2 had contrived stealth, that fact is hidden WAY better than any modern games that I know of

Sadly, I agree with much of what you say. Games like Thief 1 & 2 (even with their flaws) are rare moments in any media realm. Moments when something special came together. Often copied but never reproduced.
    Exactly. Could not have been explained better, Estel Randir.

This would have made a great new Thief game, but the author canceled it out of copyright fears

Quote Originally Posted by Darkness_Falls View Post
    I disgaree. IOI's Hitman series games are barely playable, imo.
    You gotta be kidding me. Get a grip dude.

Classy, Brethren. Real classy

I get that Thief 2014 left a bad taste in every Thief fan's mouth, but the doom and gloom over the possibility of a new Thief game by Embracer that I'm seeing here is pretty unfair.

Most of Embracer's studios are double A sized, they don't make games with astronomical budgets that need to follow dumbed down design formulas in order to appeal to broader audiences. Just look at the stuff their subsidiary THQ Nordic is producing: they managed to bring back franchises like Destroy All Humans, Spongebob Battle for Bikini Bottom and Darkstalkers without compromising what made these games work. Embracer have also acquired 3D Realms and Slipgate Ironworks, two developers that are on a roll when it comes to releasing smaller scale boomer shooters. If Thief was to be brought back by Embracer, I'm sure they wouldn't meddle with its production like Square Enix did with Thief 2014.

Well they are ruining Gothic 1 as we speak. They will include all modern utter garbage systems of loot collecting, achievemts, all those cut scenes, etc that they started using in Tomb Raider reboots and Horizon Zero franchise.
    This is literally one example out of a thousand games and franchises they are making. See the examples I mentioned above. Also, why is something as inoffensive as achievements "garbage"?

I'm excited by the prospects of a new Thief from Embracer! Can't wait to see if they do it justice, and really hope they do! I agree that making it non-AAA would be awesome, so they can hopefully be a little more comfortable with keeping T1/T2 niche gameplay elements. Bring back "bunny-hopping", I say

EDIT: Wow, Embracer Group is busy! Just bought the Lord of the Rings franchise (and other J.R.R. Tolkien titles)?? https://variety.com/2022/film/global...ns-1235435329/.
    That couldn't have been cheap, considering how much Amazon had to shell out just for the rights to make its LoTR series.

I know they're keen on possibly doing something with Legacy of Kain (https://www.ign.com/articles/crystal...y-of-kain-game)... but with LoTR and all their other properties, too, I hope they find time, energy, and money to do something with Thief
    Last edited by Darkness_Falls; 18th Nov 2022 at 03:36.

I would say it's time for a Thief game, new franchise even, more than ever.

only 2 ways i would accept a thief game , either a prequal to thief 1 or a thief 4 game post thief 3 game

My opinion is they'll make a brand new Thief franchise with new protag and Garrett being part of the larger story as a cameo or as a master for a new thief.

A good Thief 4 (pretending nuThief not to exist) game would be nice to happen. Something that can embrace the originality and the style of the Thief 1/Gold and Thief 2, and respect the storyline/etc. of the original games. Whether it has Garrett as the protagonist, or anyone else -- the latter might be for the better though as Garrett's story nicely concluded and there's no Garrett without Stephen Russel voicing him

But what is a must have in my opinion: no reboot things, no reuse of original characters by reshaping them into something different, no major changes to the environment (even if a major faction is missing, it should be properly explained with obvious traces of them, and not just erased and explained as "religions are banned" or some other rubbish)

Probably nuThief were a lot better received if the protagonist and the major characters were simply named something else and the Hammers, Pagans and Keepers were more represented in the game even if they would not play a core role in the storyline. (And of course a little bit more freedom were given in game events)

After finishing TDS for the first time yesterday, I feel like the groundwork for a fourth installment in the series is already well prepared.

The multiple redables in the Keeper Library/Compound talking about a future new clash between the Pagans and Hammerites could very well be the setting of a sequel. Imagine a full blown war between these two factions right in the middle of The City? With Garret accepting his role as a Keeper, the duty of stopping the conflict woud likely fall into his hands. Plus, the storyline could develop Garret's relationship with both factions in a more in-depth way compared to how TDS did.

On top of all that we have a possible new master-mentor dynamic to explore between Garret and the girl who tried to pickpocket him, that could lead to something new and interesting. Another fitting idea for a fourth title would be the rise of a new third faction: with the Keepers gonne by the end of TDS, a vacuum of power just opened in The City, it makes sense that someone could try to fill that void as a new mediator faction between the Pagans and Hammerites.

Just spitballing here.
    Last edited by Oregano; 30th Dec 2022 at 23:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Oregano View Post
    On top of all that we have a possible new master-mentor dynamic to explore between Garret and the girl who tried to picpocket him, that could lead to something new and interesting. Another fitting idea for a fourth title would be the rise of a new third faction: with the Keepers gonne by the end of TDS, a vacuum of power just opened in The City, it makes sense that someone could try to fill that void as a new mediator faction between the Pagans and Hammerites.
    One could go a different route. New Thief trilogy could be set a 100 years in the future where Keepers,Pagans and Hammerites are dwindled as ordered by new emperor decree against prophecies and worship. As things tend to heaten when emperor gets murdered, new thief protagonist would emerge as called from Keepers.
    Last edited by weylfar; 30th Dec 2022 at 14:05.