TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 491011121314

Thread: Calendra's Legacy Mission 1: A Meeting With Basso (questions)

Quote Originally Posted by bigalexjones66 View Post
    What can i do please to fix this
    I think your T2-installation got messed up. A re-installation will do the trick. And don't use Garrettloader for T2-FMs. This is a b-i-g mistake.

Classical Master 2008
    Reading this thread reminded me: Calendra's Legacy is now a nine years old mission. Wow. Time flies.

Quote Originally Posted by fibanocci View Post
    I think your T2-installation got messed up. A re-installation will do the trick. And don't use Garrettloader for T2-FMs. This is a b-i-g mistake.

I did a reinstall of thief 2 but still no good. I did a control+alt+shift+end level skip to act 2 i played until the first objective but it still did not tick off. I also noticed i have 2 of the the things you drop down the chute in the preist room. I also tried it in darkloader instead of garrettloader but make no difference. I must be the only person with the sold out pre patched version of the game.

Should I install version 1.07 which i also have and then patch it manually? Would that make any difference. I would really like to finish this game?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett's Shadow View Post
    to CapSyn,

DUDE! don't go telling others what Thief is and what Thief isn't!
    We all have different styles of playing!
    To some Thief IS pure ghosting! To some it's being a BJ Mainiac!
    To some it's being Robin freakin Hood!
    To some it's being a one man slaughterhouse!(gladiator da theef!)
    and to some, like me, it's a combination of all of those!

I LIKE using his tools too! as i have said, toys are meant to be played with!
    BUT, there IS a tension filled pleasure in successfully ghosting thru a real sob area! (tho i'd prefer it to be MY choice, not forced on me!)
    So lighten up ok?
    (and yes, i did have a hellish time ghosting in the fort! what with all those sobs u CAN'T ko - stoopid damn helmetz! and the strict as an uptight Catholic school marm code on the AI alert status!)
    Cool down ..lol

You both have a point. The issue with this FM is not so much about forced ghosting, it has much more to do with the silly "alert" status when you should be able to BJ people. Waiting half a hour to "cool the alert-status" of some AI's ain't my cup of tea, that just is a frustating side-effect of the choices the fm-makers made and/or a limitation in the game-mechanics.

To me, Thief is ALL about, hiding, sneaking, BJ-ing etc.etc. people, whatever needed to achieve your goal(s). By "forcing" people to do one or the other is one thing, doing so the whole mission long can and will be a negative to lots of people. It become extreme. And as always, when things get extreme, you have people in both camps; pro and cons.

One thing i don't like about this mission is you have to study the map(s) first, to get any idea where and how to walk.... that is frustating. Why not putting arrows on the floor or other means of "pathfinding" ?
    That is way more fun and easier for people to accomplish their mission. The way it is now, it feels more like trial and error and that IS a shame. Garret is a master-thief, not a trial and error type. Catch my drift?

ps: the fact that you never can see realtime where you are at any point adds up to the difficulty to find your way around. That is just a handicap of the game engine whe have to live with. But there are other options to guide people into a direction, signs to most obvious one. A path of apples on the ground would work too, for example. Whatever you can think of. Any of those, i think are more fun then studying the map and the surroundings all the time.

Despite all that, i do enjoy this mission. Finished it too, aldo rapidly with lesser loot found. Now i see you can bypass the "bring the relic to priest objective", aldo i still have to find out how. The bells go and the game is over....sofar...lol.

Basso

I can't find him anywhere. Where in the heck is he? I've been up and down Murkbell street or whatever you call it and can't find any gate there. I love this mission, but I'm running around like a chicken with it's head cut off. LOL

Janie

From the starting position, straight ahead across the drawbridge, straight ahead a bit more and then look to the right. The gate is very obvious if you are in the right place. There is a sword guard right by it, an archer woman closer to you and to the right. Basso is standing in the darkness to the left of the gate (and a bit away from it). IIRC, these missions have excellent maps.

How do I get out of the tomb again? The stone at the entrance has closed for some reason and now im stuck... I know there has been a 2nd exit in the room with the floating skull but the "lever" doesnt open it for some reason. Last but not least - if I shoot the skull with holy water arrows thief insta crashes. Any idea beside restarting?

There is a floor panel you need to step on in order to reopen the boulder entrance you came in from. Think you need to find a rock to keep it pressed in order to leave that way. Don't quite remember. I'm replaying this mission in not too long, but as of now my memory is a bit vague.
    Klatremus' Supreme Thief Site - Walkthroughs, Loot Lists & Ghost Reports
    Let's Supreme Ghost Thief - YouTube Channel with Thief Let's Plays

Klatremus is correct. I used to bring a boulder in with me but there might be something inside that you can use to keep the floor plate pushed down.

Inky, it has been awhile since i have played this mission. If I remember correctly, you must kill the lich (floating skull) with holy water arrows in order for the boulders to fall and then you can hit the switch in the corner. If Thief crashes when you try to kill the skull, you may be stuck unless you are able to back track. I wish I could be of more help with the crashing problem. This is one of the best missions ever-having made it this far and not being able to finish is frustrating!

IIRC, there is both a regular boulder and a large brick you can use to weigh down the pressure plate in order to open the rock door so you can get out. You probably used one of them on the pedestal in the south passage in the 'Fool in a box' puzzle.

If that is the only stone around, you are in trouble because you can not hold a boulder while you teleport back to the starting part (by opening west door in 'Fool in a box' or by touching the 'necklace of fireballs').
    Last edited by jiansonz; 3rd Jan 2014 at 18:10.

Exactly what jiansonz said - left the boulder outside and took the brick trough the teleport in order to use it on the pedestal - trap.
    I managed to get trough the entrance eventually by standing on the opening plate myself and using a speed potion. Occasionaly the boulder has a little delay on closing so I managed
    to squeeze trough just in time - thanks for the help

I'm replaying this mission and trying to look for an old thread regarding this campaign. I think the thread title said "Calendra's Legacy - Have you ever tried this?" or something like that. From what I can remember, Purah made it not long after its release. It had a list of 50 things or so you might have missed. It had many pages worth of replies as well. I searched for it but without any luck. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Thanks in advance.

Master Builder 2018
    I know exactly what you are talking about. But I seem to remember it as a post, not a thread of its own. I could be wrong. I'll see what I can find.

Nope, you were right. Here it is.

Wow! Thanks for the link Tannar, this is amazing! I'll be firing up CL and trying these out.

That is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!!

Have you ever tried this

Regarding the 'have you ever tried this' thread, I think I have done almost all of the things in the list. I have always wondered if it would be possible to drop a mine down the shoot for the Cardinal. I have searched for a mine and even been to the hotel room before dropping the Cylix but have not been able to acquire a mine. Any thoughts?

On expert there is one mine in a chest in your room, and one flash mine in a chest outside the warehouse. I think you have to climb up a ladder from the water to reach it. Those are the only mines I'm aware of, except if you buy one ahead of time.

I'd like to share something weird that happened to me in my latest playthrough of this mission.
    (Not going to bother with spoiler cover since it's an old mission. You have been warned.)

I met Basso, then chilled behind that female archer nearby for like 10 minutes (while real-life me had a coffee break). Saved, then tried to grab her purse and arrows. No go.

Okay...I'll go away and do something else for a while. Maybe she will reset or something until I get back?
    Visited the prophetic pagan and Mercedes' apartment and did a few more things.

Went down by the pier area. Saved when I was in that small square building-like structure where a pagan girl and a woman with the 'A Garden Gate Key' often pass through. It has a nice large dark spot you can stand in.

Pickpocketed the woman, then the drunk by the water. Hm, isn't there a water arrow here somewhere, close to where the dangerous currents...

*Mission failed*

Uh, someone saw me do..what, exactly?

*Reload*

Alright, I'll just take the woman's key, then go over to the area with the entrance to Arkhyn's tomb. Mantle up onto the big genera...

*Mission failed*

What!!!?

*Reload*

Okay, no pickpockets for now then, just go over to the tomb. It's far off from everything else. By the time I'm done there, maybe things have returned to normal?

Right, isn't there an apple near that unfrobbable door? Oh, yes, t...

*Mission failed*

Something strange is going on!

I reloaded, ran in the other direction, took the first left and what do I see?
    Two bodies, suspended in mid-air above me, by the drawbridge. A civilian and a police archer.
    I grab the bodies (autosearch first gets me the arrows from the policeman) - they are dead. I hide them where no-one can see them.

OK, so that's what caused the mission to fail. Someone else saw a dead body and went to full alert.

Looks like they suffered a classic 'Death by Drawbridge'! (Nethack players will understand.)

(BTW, everything progressed fine after this.)

Hmm very interesting this. So the mission failure had nothing to do with the initial pickpocket you wrote about. The guards simply blamed you for the drawbridge kills. I have had trouble with the semi-ghosting objective in this mission myself, especially if wanting the pickpockets, but nothing like this, lol.

Thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by klatremus View Post
    So the mission failure had nothing to do with the initial pickpocket you wrote about.
    No, that caused an immediate (after a few seconds) fail so I had to reload back there, too.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 491011121314