TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Have a hacking christmas

Have a hacking christmas

Found a fairly odd little game yesterday, by the name of Uplink.

Features the best portrayal of hacking I have seen in game or film, although I must qualify that statement by pointing out that I have absolutely no knowledge of real-world hacking. It makes a nice change from DX's Neuromancer referencing ICE breaker.

I've yet to make my mind up if I like it or not, but there is some thing strangley absorbing about it.

If you are intrested look here and download the demo.

[ December 23, 2001: Message edited by: Unheard Of ]

Reminds me of an old Spectrum game (just "Hacker", I think). It had no background information and no instructions and the first obstacle was guessing the password that started the game. Oh, the heady days of the frontier.

Does anyone know what the password was? I'd love to find out what the rest of the game was like...

One of those real-life punchlines there.

I have Hacker 2 somewhere from my miggy days. As an eight year old kid back then I was actually scared to play it thinking it really was hacking in somewhere

I cam back to it a few months ago while on an emulation trip and had great fun totally failing to be able to play it cos I had no idea what I was doing

The password was amazingly easy to figure out though I remember.

Thats back from the days when Activision were an Indie *sigh*

Damn! I loved Hacker!

Can't remember that password tho'

The game had spies travelling around the world via supersonic subways.

Cool!

---

]!MB0[0P

"This is supposed to replace CD, so I guess I'll have to buy the white album again..."

Men In Black, your slipping there Jimbo. There was a time I couldn't recognise any of your quotes

I've now ordered the game. Seems that although it has a free form structure (accept generated missons based on your rating or just hack what you feel like) it also has a plot which you can choose to follow by accepting certain missons and hacking the systems of key players in the story. I'm interested to see if this works as method of story telling.

Also, it's nice to support smaller software developers. It will help tide me over till TCP turns up.

~
    War is not about who is left; it is about who is right.

Absolutly top game this. Been playing the demo to death and I even managed to hack one high security system (didn't have enough time left to do anything to it once in but I got in).

Definatly gonna order this one when I have money again.

This should appear in PCG I reckon as it's brilliant.

It's also an example of non-linear narative as everything reacts to what you do as a hacker and can affect everything else in the game.

Very nice.

Me like.

SS, if you order it could you let me know, as they are offering a bonus disk for word of mouth sales (including the design document for Uplink Online, which could make for interesting reading).

Of course, having pimped their game on the forum for the mod project fronted by the deputy editor of the UKs leading PC mag I should be getting about 5000 bonus disks, but there you go.

I ordered it and managed to screw it up (a result of too much wine at lunch time and having to arse around with IE6 to get it to accept WorldPay's requirements). This resulted in me ordering it twice. I e-mailed Worldpay and got an automated response telling me to call Introversion. I e-mailed them and got a response from a human being within an hour. Very impressive customer service - it is boxing day for f**cks sake!
    [Thumbs Up!]

I liked it also. I'll definately think about ordering.

[quote]Originally posted by Unheard Of:
    SS, if you order it could you let me know, as they are offering a bonus disk for word of mouth sales (including the design document for Uplink Online, which could make for interesting reading).

I ordered it, so I guess you can quote me, or whatever you have to do.

djpaul

the password i believe was:

australia

I have now been playing the full game for some days.

On the plus side I find the game to be fun, addictive and reasonably challenging. There are loads of hidden extras, and there is much milage in trying to find them.

On the downside, much of the game is highly repetitive and the plot is slight.

Oi, Gillen.

You appear to have made at least one programmer very happy

http://www.introversion.co.uk/uplink/news.html

Does this often happen to you?

Not that often, but it's fun when it happens.

Good game. Glad I could rave about it.

Call me weak.

KG

OK. I will.