TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: T2 FM: The Lost Crusade 10 Nov 2007

Clearinghouse
    What now ???
    Quote Originally Posted by shadows View Post
    OK I think I am at the end and just want to warn peeps you should finish exploring the town and getting loot, before searching for the relic.

I am just about to enter the mine a bit short of loot - will I find any there or should I go back?

Btw, I couldnt get the key of the Crusader guard standing outside the mine gate. However I found I could just walk through the closed gate - was I supposed to be able to do that?

There's some down there but I'm afraid I can't remember how much. I hadn't collected all the purses beforehand but think I pretty much cleaned up everything else.
    General advice seems to be get as much as you can before you go.

Just finished - there was quite a lot of loot in the mine section.

Not a bad mission - found it a bit frustrating some of the cliff jumps and mantling, repeatedly getting stuck in walls or on edges etc, (see other people's gripes in this thread) but otherwise fun.

WOW! I've never seen a daylight mission that actually looked good! Great job!

I did giggle at the beginning looking at the HUGE rudder on that ship!

what an ecxiting mission!!! some moments I doubted my sanity, but I never saw before such handsome city views in thief 2, never walked about such many roofs, rocks and through caves like in this beautiful mission.

I was often remembered on the tv-movie "Indiana Jones" or PC-Game "Tomb Raider", very funny.

My god, what lot's of months did you spend to finish this game?

CONGRATULATIONS

Does anyone know the location of the relic is it before or after the tomb raider style slope if before hint please

After.

Classical Master 2008
    I finally had the time for this FM. What can I say? The city is beautiful, with an authentic Mediterranean feel. What I found very intriguing is how the AI didn't seem to be walking in set patterns; either the patrol routes were complicated, or they were set to random - in any case, it made a good emulation of people going their own business in a small town. The mines were also great; good use of large spaces. In the canyon, I didn't find a way back from the dead guy who was trapped in a cave, but that could just be me. And in the finale, after getting the artifact, jumping across a chasm was very frustrating; it looked like you could get to the other side, but stuck on geometry and fell.

Nevertheless, a strong effort, with a lot of good points.

I had a lot of fun playing the mission. Very impressive! Creative. Very good adventure and scenery. I also encountered many of the problems mentioned by others, but they did not take away from the fun. I would suggest, however, that you consider beta testing to be an important part of mission development. I will volunteer, if you are interested in fixing some of the problems, or for another mission. Anyway, keep up the good work.

I ghosted the mission with the exception of a couple of little problems. In the city, many of the AI got all excited to find a dead body, and they stayed on perpetual alert. I don't know how the body got there unless it was a fight between AI that I missed.

EDIT: I replayed the beginning and discovered that there is lots of trouble with AI killing each other. I only found one before, but this time there are several bodies, and I hear and see fights all around. Those guys with the pigtails seem to be behind the violence.

That rolling bolder a la Indiana Jones was great. Took a few tries to realize that I had to run in front of it. Well done.

I had difficulty getting past one spider on the left canyon trail. Finally just ran past him, but I am pretty sure he must have been alerted, but he did not chase me.

I got a kick out of one loot puzzle (a blue LC wall gem) high in the catacombs as you first entered. It took me many tries, but I finally got it by roping up, jumping over from the rope (barely sticking in the hole) and jumping back to the rope. Doesn't sound like much, but it was tricky to stick on that little ledge.

I did not like the crate jumping ledge at all. That is one thing a good beta tester might have persuaded you to give up.
    Last edited by smithpd; 24th Nov 2007 at 04:16.

The Cliff...

I don't get it... Is that crate supposed to help at all? If so Thank God I didn't throw down below. If not what the am I suppose to do? Everytime I jump I stick, but I can't mantle up. When I try jump again I get thrown backward and fall n fall n fall & break my neck... One time I actually landed on the bottom without taking any of my life, but there's nothin down there anyway... Now what?

Sorry Quirk, thought I was on page 1 when I was actually on page 3 when I replied (saved it there as a favorite)... After reading "where you had problems with your internet connection" about using the crate it only took me 3 more tries :-) Thanx!!
    Last edited by Acolyte6; 24th Nov 2007 at 21:52. Reason: my mistake!

Just remembered something...

Does anyone remember what the other daylight mission was called? I remember now, I never finished it...cuz of daylight savings time...hehe

Ghost run. Crate jump solved.

I just played again with a 100% ghost success. That is, if you allow the collapsing temple, for which I think there is a precedent. It doesn't matter. It was a great adventure regardless.

SPOILER ALERT
    My report of the ghost run is here.
    As is customary, there are no spoiler covers in these ghost reports.

@Quirk / Spoonman
    Having now played the mission twice, and three times in the town part, I have a much greater appreciation for the great game play and environment in this mission. It is easy to ignore the few little problems when having so much fun. Well done.

@All,
    I figured out the problem with the crate jump. I believe it works only if you orient the crate with its side planks vertical. This is achieved by looking straight ahead and dropping the crate. You need to drop it close to the edge so the crate lands with a little overhang. This is the method described by Luthien in his staircasing tutorial. With that orientation, the crate makes a solid platform that you can jump from. In contrast, the normal stack-em-up method of dropping crates is to look down. This rotates the crate 90 degrees. It is good for vertical stacking, but it is an unstable platform for jumping. So, this crate jump is an esoteric thing that most people will not grasp.

I played this mission a few weeks ago. The giant steps on the stairs and the occasional unpredictable AI fight caused a little vexation, and some of the divides I had to leap across (especially the one near the end, after grabbing the relic) was really annoying.

However, the latter were only a few brief, crappy moments compared to what were at least 2 hours of enjoyable exploration. The city area was really impressive. I think somebody said they could almost feel the sun on their back--I concur! The pagan guy under the boardwalk likes to start shit. He caused a giant brawl between a group of guards and some ruffians. Maybe it's because I woke him up!

N

Great Mission

Hya
    I just finished playing this one, (I'm late as usual lol), but I enjoyed it so much I liked that rock tha was chasing me!!!! Cool
    Great Mission thank you

I've just had a thought about that crate in the canyon

will a rope arrow stick into it ?

.... taff! gonna have to play it again and try that

I've just passed the cliff area and got to a new tunnel entrance with a floor plaque about who may pass. I'm not sure what to do here. There's a piece of horizontal wall that flys at me and doesn't do anything. Then I get skewered.

Help, anyone?

Never mind, got it. Although most of the falling debris has no effect on me. Strange.
    Last edited by Verak; 3rd Feb 2008 at 22:44.

Well, I got to this and have my complaints. I always praise people for having the stuff to create missions, but there are too many problems with this one. Besides the constant crashing each and every time I climb up to a roof in the city, I was not thrilled at spending 30 minutes trying to jump the cliffs. I don't have to explain, since many others already have, but if it wasn't for reading here, I don't think I would have finished this. The cave below with the skeleton is useless since there is no apparant way back up, so that loot is also useless. I was less than 400 loot short of total, which I didn't think was too bad. One other problem I had was once I set off the boulder trap one time, when I actually tried moving a little further, a 2nd boulder came down and did some damage to me.

I give credit for the try overall, but this should have been tested and the kinks taken out.

Phil

Just played this through and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Yes there were frustrating moments, bugs and scene complexity issues, but the atmosphere and well-thought-out level design made up for it. The mission felt like it would have been better made for a newer engine - there were so many good-looking complex scenes that dark struggles with!

Definitely preferred the earlier city section to the slightly generic mine/catacombs, but overall this was a very fun mission!

I've just played this again to get some summer vibe in this dark part of year in Europe.

I think there's a LOT work in this one (I mean the intention of making a good mission is notable), however, it still has some issues that won't make it as popular. I mean, I can't finish the mission if I don't have all the required loot, and also can't go back for it, at the end. Some stairs and ledges are too big. Other bugs often occur. But anyway, it was fun, with a bunch of great ideas.

Getting my bearings

I'm having a bit of a hard time getting my bearings. I don't have a compass so I was wondering if there is one to be found?

Quote Originally Posted by llanita View Post
    I'm having a bit of a hard time getting my bearings. I don't have a compass so I was wondering if there is one to be found?
    I don't think there is a compass. I never found one. I tend to have a natural sense of direction, so I didn't need one, but can understand if some people do. If you are getting stuck in the town area, look up for the towers to get your bearings. In the mine area, it gets tougher. Things tend to just loop around, go up, and go down. Think of it as a roller coaster under ground and that my help.

Your post made me play this for the first time. It works pretty well with the new dark 1.21. No terrible bugs, but you can still walk through tables, crates, etc. Some stair steps are too high and you have to jump.

I finished should a few hundred loot, playing on expert. The AI sure acted strange though. True to my call sign, I tend to bjack everyone to get them out of my way. When I would get close enough to, the AI would change routes away from me. It seems a lot of these guys wanted to avoid me

Fun little game, but could have used some beta testing and a little polishing up. Reading through the posts, it seems the author tried to fix a few things, but was not "into it" like some of the mission experts we have the luck to have around. Still, thanks to the author for your work all those years ago.

Thanks back, appreciate the help.
    I am enjoying this mission a lot. It could do with a few tweaks but otherwise it's very playable. My mo is to bj anyone who is in my way and so far I haven't noticed any changes in their routes.

dml to fix misplaced objects and wall through barrels, courtesy Jax. Note: Walk through barrels require the Reposition script available in latest T2Fix.

We couldn't fix the panel panels on the gates in the excavation area as the author failed to remove the "blocks vision" property from the doors and this needs to be done and then optimised, note also with ND and NewMantle making your way around the canyon is very much easier than it was with olddark, you can also get back to the upper pathway from the hidden cave in the canyon, which you couldn't with olddark.

Code:
    DML1

//The Lost Crusade: Fixes. File: miss21.mis.dml

#script "squirrel"

+ObjProp 213 "Scripts"
    {
    	"Script 0" SimRepositionAbs
    }
    +ObjProp 213 "DesignNote"
    {
    	"" RepositionDir=180.0,0.0,0.0
    }