TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Trace the courier help!

Trace the courier help!

When Mosley drops the letter, I pick it up to read it, but then I can't drop it again for the pagan to pick up. I can drop other items like healing potions no problem, but the letter is stuck to my inventory. Anyone else had this happen??

Quote Originally Posted by klatremus View Post
    When Mosley drops the letter, I pick it up to read it, but then I can't drop it again for the pagan to pick up. I can drop other items like healing potions no problem, but the letter is stuck to my inventory. Anyone else had this happen??
    Have you tried unbinding and rebinding/changing your drop key? I've found that on Windows 10 you sometimes have to rebind and unbind keys or change a mouse action to a key action. The controls "stick", for lack of a better word, in some cases.

That doesn't work. Like I said above, the drop key works just fine for other items like potions, it's just the letter. I'm using Windows 7 btw.

Quote Originally Posted by klatremus View Post
    That doesn't work. Like I said above, the drop key works just fine for other items like potions, it's just the letter. I'm using Windows 7 btw.
    My apologies, I read your post too fast and missed that part. According to the thread at https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100278, you have to drop the letter in time for the person picking it up to read it. Maybe it's a bug with timing or something caused by Newdark? Have you tried reloading from a save or a fresh mission restart?

Might be worth asking this in T2Fix thread. A savegame would also help figure out what's wrong.

Have you tried opening and closing the letter quickly? I know that there are other games where skipping fast through the dialogue in a conversation scene can prevent bugs that may occur if you just sit and let the dialogue play out fully. So varying the length of time you have it open might be worth a shot. Or how long yu wait after it is dropped before you pick it up.

some fan missions can mess up things in others,not sure why a example is dimvalley makes all skins in thief 1/g backwards after playing it,so maybe another mission makes it so you cant drop items

only fixable in thief files,check the file where it has drop connected to it and fix?

just trying to help

First, as the risk of being patronizing, can you confirm you're dropping and not throwing? I know, but we have to deal with the basics first.

Next, bring up the console ("shift" and ";") and type in drop_item to see if that works. It it doesn't, then I echo marbleman's suggestion of loading a savegame.

It should be possible to drop any object unless the mission designer has explicitally forbidden it. Even a mod wouldn't do that unless there's one with a bug which which was meant to target a different object.

Lol yes, I am not throwing the letter, R Soul. In fact, you can't possibly throw a letter, you will just read it instead. Tried the console command and no luck. Tried a reload to an earlier save and no luck. Tried a full restart and no luck. Same results.

Then I tried my vanilla NewDark install (no T2Fix or any mods) and now it works! Seems like it's definitely a T2Fix issue. If so, I'm surprised nobody has detected it yet, as this is easily the best mission in the entire campaign!!

I checked this problem on T2Fix 1.27d and I had no problem dropping letter. No idea if that's the version you use. So possibility is that somehow NecroAge you use interfered with your version of T2Fix and made impossible to drop letter. I remember you had problem in the past and could not finish Running Interference. Maybe the issue is NecroAge's compatibility. If not then maybe your version of T2Fix was somehow modified and maybe reinstalling T2Fix will fix that.

I've seen corrupt saves cause issues like this before, though it usually fixes itself with a restart. One more thing to try before nuking and reinstalling, is to edit USER.CFG and remove the semicolon from the line ;starting_mission 8 save and start the game. This will ensure the saved game from the previous mission isn't still affecting Trace the Courier.

I use 1.27c currently. It is not NecroAge, as I haven't played this mission with that mod yet. I don't play it with that mod until I record it, to get the first time experience then. So I said that I got it working in T2 vanilla. Well, I did get it to work on the modded version also, but only by deleting miss8.mis.dml. There seems to be a conflict with whatever setup I have and the scripts in that .dml. Can't tell you any better reason than that, but that did the trick. Thanks for all the good suggestions and help.

Update to 1.27d. It was proven that 1.27c doesn't work properly and some scripts may not work correctly.

I have had multiple problems when I used 1.27c I don't remember having any issues with prior versions nor with 1.27d. I concur with Galaer you should update to 1.27d

I did and that worked fine! It was the .dml for mission 8 in version 1.27c that was broken

I just watched your trace-the-courier vid on youtube - I had no idea that normal/hard had different paths (I have only ever played it on expert) so I just might load up that VM to try it on the lower difficulties to experience the differences

Yup! Did you listen to the extra conversation that's only on hard?

Yes - I did - I also like the entirely unused one you played towards the end.