TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Schema tags limits?

Schema tags limits?

Greetings,

Recently I tried to add a new creatures type, but the tag didn't seem to register. So I thought if ENVSOUND has some tag limits? Before I'll get deeper into this problem, I want to ask -- is there any tags limits in ENVSOUND? How much tags it's able to support?

Thank you and sorry if this question was frequently asked, I honestly don't know.

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    I think it's 256 tags.

It is a real pain. And you will lose sounds randomly if you exceed that.

ZylonBane
    Nothing random about it. You will, with 100℅ probability, lose sounds.

I have to wonder if Zoro is using NewDark, because it straight up tells you when you've exceeded the limit (which is for all sounds, not just ENVSOUND), and what the limit is.

If you're at the limit and need to add something, your only option is to remove any AIs or devicetypes that aren't being used in the mission.
    Last edited by ZylonBane; 2nd Aug 2016 at 08:46.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    By randomly I took Larry to mean you will lose random sounds, i.e. not any certain sounds in particular nor necessarily related to the new schemas you added which exceeded the limit.

ZylonBane
    It's likely deterministic, just not in a way that we have direct access to. Presumably it's as simple as that anything beyond the 255 tag limit is ignored when you reload schemas.

Thank you very much for the information! I better be cautious then. If that's the 255, then It's gonna be enough for a mission for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    By randomly I took Larry to mean you will lose random sounds, i.e. not any certain sounds in particular nor necessarily related to the new schemas you added which exceeded the limit.
    Got it in one. You don't lose just "... anything beyond the 255 tag limit ..."; the sounds you lose can be long standing ones, like a switch sound, which I lost when adding a wading through water sound. It may be deterministic as most computer related stuff is, but without the code to explain why one sound gets lost and not another, it appears to be totally random. So from the pov of a person experiencing the phenomenon, you lose sounds randomly.

Resurrecting this thread because I'm having a bit of a weird issue. The sound for the VicLightSwitch has totally disappeared.

It seems the "TurnOff" sound is the same as a regular button (B_PUSH.WAV), while the "TurnOn" sound is the same as the Ramirez Button (B_Rmz.wav). If I create a regular button and a Ramirez button in my mission, both of those sound normal. It's only the VicLightSwitch that is silent.

I did create one new SwitchType and two new voice types (Hammerites from Thief 1) in the ENVSOUND.SPC. However, when I reload_schemas, DromEd tells me I'm using 236 of 255 schema tags, so I shouldn't be running out of sounds right?

Never mind, I found the answer from Ycatx and hrothgar back in 2003. Have to add this to your MISCSFX.SCH file:

//VicLight On
    schema LvVicLight_On
    archetype DEVICE_SWITCH
    volume -1000
    delay 500
    b_rmz
    env_tag (Event StateChange) (DirectionState Reverse) (SwitchType BVicLight)

//VicLight Off
    schema LvVicLight_off
    archetype DEVICE_SWITCH
    volume -1000
    delay 500
    b_push
    env_tag (Event StateChange) (DirectionState Forward) (SwitchType BVicLight)