TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Heretics and Pagans Feb/06

Ditto, and I *loved* this mission!! :)

I always like the huge, sweeping ones with "nearly infinite" dimension, which usually allow you ample opportunity to get into some naughty-no-no places...
    And I put the vine arrows to better use, and had them with me as I went through the caves again, back to the partially collapsed tower. You can see them hanging down on the left in this first shot...ever use a slowfall potion while hanging on a rope before? Haha.. Not me, until this mission!

Speed potion optional!

Quote Originally Posted by chis
    Do you have to replay in order to get that speed potion? Is there really no other alternative? Because frankly this is just poor mapping: the player should never be faced with an unwinnable situation, especially not in lengthy missions like this!

I don't think I'll bother...
    Actually, you can make that broken bridge jump without a speed potion! I did it when I went through a 2nd time (carrying the vine arrows), when I had already used the speed potion to get across...requires some mantling, the kind that'll rip the arms off of Superman in the real world (of course) , but it's Garrett-doable! Only one attempt, too! But you know what that means... hehe... try a billion times before I make it a 2nd time! Edit: Made it 3 of 4 times, actually...

Not saying that Superman is real, tho....

Edit: Finally, the pinnacle, made it! Yes! (woo)

Last edited by crowemagnon; 16th Mar 2006 at 17:50.

How to do the jump without speed potion

Quote Originally Posted by crowemagnon
    Actually, you can make that broken bridge jump without a speed potion! I did it when I went through a 2nd time (carrying the vine arrows), when I had already used the speed potion to get across...requires some mantling, the kind that'll rip the arms off of Superman in the real world (of course) , but it's Garrett-doable! Only one attempt, too! But you know what that means... hehe... try a billion times before I make it a 2nd time! Edit: Made it 3 of 4 times, actually...
    Well, when I first arrived at the broken bridge, I tried that jump about 15 times and failed before resorting to the speed potion. Then, on finishing the mission, I saw your post, crowemagnon, and I thought I had to give it another try. I went back, having already used the speed potion. 30 tries later, and nada -- not even a whisper of a mantling grunt. So I'm thinking, I need to go back and challenge crowemagnon, because I am not that bad a jumper. Then I remembered a skill I learned a long time ago regarding underwater swimming. That is the method I used.

The method:
    spoiler:
    The secret is to combine two motions, a straight ahead run, and a sideways strafe. Thief gives you the vector sum of the motions, so you go faster (velocity C = sqrt(A^2 + B^2) than you would with one component alone. In detail, with my key mappings, I first press the ALT key, ready to initiate side strafe. For example, if I should hit ALT+left arrow, I would move to the left without rotation. So, after pressing the ALT key, I hit forward arrow and left arrow simultaneously, giving me the two components of motion. That causes a run on an angle, to the left of where you are facing. With experiment, you can compensate for this by aiming yourself to the right, so the net angle is the direction where you want to go. Then, I use the space bar to jump, so all four of these keys are close together. About half the time, that move gives me a flying mantle onto the broken slope, from which a simple mantle takes me up to the walk.
    Edit: I forgot to say that my jumping off place is the second one, closest to the torch, that aligns with a point.

How did you do it, crowemagnon? If not my way, then I guess you must have one of those run-faster computers. This is not a myth. They exist. Mine is not one of them.
    Last edited by smithpd; 2nd May 2006 at 00:29.

Hiya SmithPD!

Looking at the far side of the broken bridge, and to the lowest part toward the left: Notice the broken-out notch down there? When you leap, you're aiming at that notch, straight-on perpendicular jump. You'll actually catch just below that, so when you mantle up, you're standing down in the broken-out notch...no strafe-running!...I do, however, have my keys set up to where the up arrow is "run", like 95% of my movement, and I have to do shift-up arrow for "walk"...that shouldn't make a diff, tho.

Good luck!

Thanks for the response, crowemagnon.

Yes, I saw the notch. That is what I was aiming for, from two different jumping off points. The straight jump method is exactly what failed for me around 50 times. So there must be a difference in the speed / timing of our computers. I am not sure if you are at an advantage or I am at a disadvantage compared with the norm, but I expect you are faster than normal.

This is the second time in around 7 years I have failed to execute a tricky move reported in one of the forums. The first time was the famous half-mantle executed by clayman when he ghosted the Bafford spiders, which I think he could do only because he had a slow computer that could not keep pace with the normal mantle response. I'd be interested to know if others can do your bridge jump with a straight jump.

I, too, have the run key mapped to up arrow, and I also use Shift-Run to walk.

BTW, I was doing my strafe run thing last night, and I made it up to the top of the walkway above the notch a couple of times, whereas with the straight run I never could come close to landing on the notch. As I said, not even a whisper of a mantle grunt. So there is clearly a significant benefit to the strafe method if you are in a tight spot.

Fickle mistress!

Yeesh, but this is a fickle mistress... When I made it 3 of 4 times, I must've really been in the groove, having played the game for several hours, being instinctively familiar after such a long playing time. Well, I reloaded the game and tried it last night, and was lucky to make it 1 in 50 times! But, I did make it. Then, I tried it again this morning...made it first time! Then, about 7 times before I made it again...enough of that!

I don't think I could ever accomplish it with the strafe-run; I tried that, and you have to run facing left or right at about a 45-degree angle (left for me), and I couldn't coordinate that well enough to time the jump at just the right moment... kudos to you for making a sound jump even once, regardless of whether you made it! Of course, you did make it...

Off to play Mainshock one more time...!

i've been playing through a lot of old FMs lately because of the lack of new ones, so i played this FM & i really liked it! i thought i would just let the author know that

just played this through and it was a lot of fun, the lighting was a bit strange, sections of the cave seemed to glow like they were lit by neon but didn't affect my visibility and places where I should have been in deep shadow but I was brightly lit and others where I ought to have been visible but the bad guys just walked on by, I have to say I'm not a big fan of random patrol routes but it was effective in this one

Added a german version

Bilingual mirror ... added a german version to this FM: http://www.0815x.de/thief/FMs/heretic.zip
    Last edited by zappen; 20th May 2019 at 04:08.
    My FM campaigns Garrett's Young Years XTra, Reunion With Basso
    Want your upcoming FM translated in foreign languages?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123