TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 93 of 96 FirstFirst ... 434853586368737883888990919293949596 LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,325 of 2385

Thread: What are you making?

Quote Originally Posted by qolelis View Post
    The thing I'm working on is a mix of the genres I play the most, so it's based on exploration, observation, story-telling, and puzzle-solving, but death is also a thing (not as abundant, but still possible).
    With that description, it sounds like unrestricted Quick Save would not disrupt it in any way I can think of. Especially since you have a manual save as well. Quick Save is simply a "I don't want to open the menu, navigate to the Save option, select a slot and save"-button.

I'd say that quick saving, manual saving, and occasional autosaving should be the default case. Only vary from that if you have a good reason to do so.

The main reasons you'd consider limited saving are:
    • To add extra challenge, so the player has to complete a longer sequence in one go (or, an entire game; see Dark Souls.)
    • To make the game more tense, see AvP 2000. This is most suitable to suspenseful horror games.
    • To try to make players live with the consequences of bad decisions, which is mostly a thing for narrative- and choices-heavy games.
    • Multiplayer games, because save/loading there can be awkward.

It doesn't really sound like your game falls into any of those categories.

Time for another video, this time it's inventory and item usage!

Level 10,000 achieved
    Very nice NV! Are you actually gonna make a game or is this all just going on the asset store?

Oh no, thIs is a game.
    The marketplace stuff was just something that I was making for the game and I thought was worth polishing up and selling on its own.

Speaking of save-options: one i quite like (when it is appropriate) is akin to Terraria/Nethack/Minecraft/etc. Ie. saving is for saving and not for undoing anything. It autosaves on its own - and some also give the option to force a save at any point manually. What you cannot do is reload without saving your current progression. This tends to be the only option if the save files is just too large.

Have not seen anyone complain ... except Nethack.

I'm just about finished with my solo project Rats, Bats, and Bones! I took a year off of normal work to make a game and it's finally almost over. It's a nerve-racking feeling being about to release your creative work to the world!

That reminds me of Orcs Must Die - though with more 2D pixel art and less controllable protagonist.

Moderator and Priest
    That looks awesome!

Thanks! And thanks for taking a look. Orcs Must Die was a big influence on it for sure

Level 10,000 achieved
    Very nice smallfry!

Be sure to post the link when you put it up.

On a side note - Been working heavily on CrossTrix over the past week. Just need to add in an options screen + allow for going back to game in progress when going to the menu, then I finally got this done. Then be launching it to Steam. Be nice to have one that's 100% me on there.

Finally got myself back in the Orbiceptor saddle. Now where was I? Oh, yeah, adding damage effects to the freighter:

These effects really look best in motion:

Damage in Orbiceptor appears near where you hit, and spreads if you keep hitting the same spot:

This can be split, or together, depending on how things go

Eventually most of the points are already showing damage; when you run out of damage points, the object is destroyed

Level 10,000 achieved
    Looks cool!

Looks really cool. I think I mentioned before that it looks like Transcendence, but if anything even more polished than it. More importantly, it looks like the gameplay will be fun. There aren't that many top-down open world space shooters these days (if that's what this is), and I've always liked that style.

Oh neato, love the GIF!

For the first time ever, I published my indie game HEADLINER in new languages thanks to our awesome Discord community! Super pumped about it and decided to share with Imgur! Could I pls ask for an upvote :>

https://imgur.com/gallery/9mhEVVt

Nice. Yakoob's hitting the big league.

Today paid the $140 fee to get CrossTrix on Steam. Many hours of getting all the required images done, and getting the build to upload later, sent for approval. Should be up for sale in up to 2 weeks. Kinda takes some of the prestige away, when you can just pay to get on there now. When Bipolar got approved I was OVER THE MOON about it. Though your first game to make it on there is always going to be the one you get the most excited about I guess.

Did some work on Orbiceptor asteroids. Now they visibly take damage and have more interesting explosions.

Before:

After:

Chakat sex pillow
    Nice! This might be just an artifact of the GIF process, but are you using pre-rendered sprites in authentic 90s oldschool style there for the ship and asteroids?

edit: on closer inspection probably not, the moving specular edge on the ship and geometry occlusion as it turns and polygonal edges to the 'stroids means prolly real-time.

Thanks. No, it would be kind of funny, and the style definitely reflects that root (my primary inspiration was Lunatic Fringe), and the color limitations of GIF reinforce it (will that EVER go away FFS) but these are rendered 3d models (in this case freebies from Ebal Studios). ...Too much work just to make things look worse, lol...
    Last edited by Pyrian; 20th Dec 2018 at 05:05.

Added "running lights" to the freighter. Navigational lights, anti-collision beacon, anti-collision strobes, and hazard beacons. Based mostly on jetliner regulations, with additional hazard lights.

...Not entirely thrilled with the results, but making them proper real-time blooming cone lights would be, err, painful. Also, this sort of detailing is probably why I don't actually finish projects very often.

Today I learned that posting GIFs to Facebook works a LOT better if you use 512x512 vs say 500x500.

Death of a freighter: From proud capital ship, to pile of debris

Moderator and Priest
    : pours out a 40 :

Godspeed, freighter.

Page 93 of 96 FirstFirst ... 434853586368737883888990919293949596 LastLast