TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: The Mad Box

The Mad Box

So, uh, Slightly Mad Studios - of Need for Speed: Shift and Project CARS fame - are developing their own games console, the Mad Box:
    https://www.usgamer.net/articles/mad...console-design

The idea of another competitor in the console space sounds good, but I have my doubts this will be successful. All things considered, Sony and Microsoft are relative latecomers to the console market themselves, but they had HUGE cash reserves to give them a leg up.

Still, would love to be proven wrong.

What? Why? From their description... Is that even a console, or just a custom PC? How do they expect to make a light console that's like a "very fast PC two years from now"? (Unless they release it 6 years from now, lol.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    What? Why? From their description... Is that even a console, or just a custom PC? How do they expect to make a light console that's like a "very fast PC two years from now"? (Unless they release it 6 years from now, lol.)
    If they aren't Truly Mad, one would hope that it is basically a high end PC with a fixed set of hardware, a fancy case and a pre-installed & configured Linux based OS. Granted, that could also describe the current and last generations of Xbox & Playstation to some degree, with the caveat of Xbox using a Windows based OS and Playstation using a custom chipset.

Things I do not expect from it: Competetive pricing compared to whatever consoles are current when it is released, a massive lineup of exclusive titles to entice potential customers, the system being released at the first announced launch date, much in the way of third party titles, or any kind of success at all.

Zombified
    so basically, the Ouya but not sh!t?

The Mad Box is a terrible name too, I think.

Zombified
    still better than Wii.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomi View Post
    The Mad Box is a terrible name too, I think.
    The Daft Box.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo47 View Post
    still better than Wii.
    We still play Wii Fit at my house.

Zombified
    was talking about the name, which is, and forever will be terrible.

Oh, yeah. It is a miserable name.

Is this another souljaboy console?

Level 10,000 achieved
    The CEO sounds like he doesn't understand how frame rates work, or he doesn't think anyone else understands how they work. When it was pointed out to him that 60FPS VR isn't especially impressive as the current standard is 90FPS he said that it was "60FPS per eye!", to which everyone replied "What... the fuck... are you talking about?" and then today he came back with "you know what, nevermind, it IS gonna be 90FPS!"

I don't like being negative because obviously it's great to see more competition in this field, but honestly I don't have much faith in this thing. Making good hardware at a competitive price is something very few can do. And have you seen the way this looks?

Those ears at the top and enormous feet jutting out at the sides? Why? Just so it can take up as much space as possible?
    Last edited by henke; 7th Jan 2019 at 02:09.

60 fps per eye? That's some Chris Morris-grade satire right there.

Level 10,000 achieved
    3D movies are actually 6D movies if you think about it because you're watching them with 2 eyes. Three dimensions per eye!