Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 381318232833383940414243
Results 1,051 to 1,072 of 1072

Thread: There's a VR HEADSET on my FACE! :D

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Malf View Post
    POLYBIUS IS OUT ON STEAM.

Free your mind.

Moo.
    MY MIND IS FREED. Thanks for the Xmas gift of POLYBIUS. It is very trippy.

The other VR game I've been spending a lot of time with lately (beside Beat Saber natch) is Catch & Release!

It's very chill and both the fishing rod physics and rowboat physics are GOOD. Doing objectives, like catching a certain fish in a certain spot, unlocks better equipment and new tools and it's all very engrossing and I can't stop playing.

Also you get the same amount of points whether you keep the fish or release it back, in case you wanna do a pacifist playthrough.

I recently finished GNOG. The game was delightful and infuriating in equal measure; sometimes it is less than transparent in the clues it gives you, and sometimes things don't work when you're pretty certain they should. All in all, I'd say it's worth it for people who like games like Chuchel, games that are toy-like and charming, but I would only suggest getting it if it's below US$10 (or even US$5) and if you have a high tolerance level when it comes to VR jankiness that could've been reduced or even removed if the developers hadn't left it at 'good enough'.

I also played some more Beat Saber and I really enjoy the new song ("POP/STARS"). It's great fun to play and makes you feel like you're a rhythm master (when really you probably look like a bit of a knob). There's another seemingly new song just underneath it on the list; I can't remember the title, but it's boring to listen to and boring to play. It makes me wish you could just hide certain songs.

Finally, I've now committed to playing a couple of hours of Skyrim VR until I tire of the game. The VR implementation is janky, but it does make a huge difference to be immersed in that world, to look up at misty mountains and to be enveloped by the night. I've only just made it to Bleak Falls Barrow and the game has well and truly sucked me in (with some judicious mods, obviously). Also, the more I get used to Natural Locomotion, the better it is; for me, it makes a huge difference to be taking those steps myself, even if I'm just walking in place.

Oh, anyone looking for a good VR scare? Here's a... remake? riff? ... of that P.T. demo, made in Unreal - and if you play it while your headset's hooked up, you can play it in VR. Neat, huh?

https://radiusgordello.itch.io/unreal-pt (Get it while it's hot and hasn't yet been taken down by a C&D letter from Konami.)

Disclaimer: I haven't played this and I never may, since I quite like having a heard that beats and a sphincter that does its job.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I was scrolling through uploadVR's upcoming 2019 games list and spotted yet another Thief-inspired VR game! In addition to the clunky-but-fun Unknightly, and Thorrows, which hasn't show any signs of life since 2017, we now also have Rogan: The Thief In The Castle.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Not sure if this has been mentioned, but there's this thing called Cosmic Sugar and it's really something.

The free version doesn't have all the fancy features in the above video, only basic attractor/repulsor tools, but even so I just spent half an hour in it just feeling the shape of the cosmos, maaaan. I swear I'm not even high.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    I was scrolling through uploadVR's upcoming 2019 games list and spotted yet another Thief-inspired VR game! In addition to the clunky-but-fun Unknightly, and Thorrows, which hasn't show any signs of life since 2017, we now also have Rogan: The Thief In The Castle.
    Given my desire to play Thief (preferably Thief Gold) in VR with full hand and head tracking, I will have to keep my eye on Rogan: The Thief in the Castle.

Has Unknightly expanded beyond the one mission yet? I haven't played it in a while.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Unknightly is still the same 2 dungeon levels and a tutorial that it's been for a long time, tho they did update the core gameplay systems about a half year back and in October they showed this teaser of the next level, tho it's not out yet.

Level 10,000 achieved
    We already have VR rhythm games that are all about PUNCHING MUSIC and SLICING MUSIC with AudioShield and Beat Saber, now original Guitar Hero-devs Harmonix are getting in on the action the a game that's all about... wait for it... SHOOTING MUSIC!

I am very much looking forward to this.

They also did a Rock Band VR - a fun enough game, but it doesn't work nearly as well as regular, non-VR Rock Band. I thought they weren't doing great to begin with (unless that's just the Rock Band team), so I'm surprised that Harmonix puts this much of an effort into VR, seeing how relatively small the audience is.

What ever happened to good ol' dancing to music?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Pffft, get outta here grandpa!

My eldest daughter is 6. I don't want to hear the term "grandpa" for twenty years or so.

Has anyone here ever tried one of thos TP Cast thingies that makes the Vive or Oculus Rift wireless? A Swiss online retailer currently sells the one for the Rift at a relatively big discount, but I hear very mixed things about TP Cast, so I'd be interested in first-hand experiences.

I guess the Pimax backer rewards are being delivered, because a Pimax 8K just showed up completely unannounced on my doorstep last night. I need to get some cable extensions to use it in my new house, but I'll report back once I give it a try.

Definitely curious to hear more about the Pimax headset. I've heard mixed things about the 5K+, in particular in terms of performance, but apparently the 8K has some tricks up its sleeves.

Also, a quick shout-out to Red Matter: it's a pretty standard escape room game in terms of what you do, but it's eminently well crafted. It makes the usual teleport locomotion and integrates it in a smart way; it uses Unreal Engine 4 to do great things with light, reflections and transparencies; it makes interacting with levers, winches and the like feel surprisingly tactile. I also like how you have multi-purpose tools on your arms and one of those tools is a scanner/translation device. All in all, it's a nifty, atmospheric piece of VR entertainment that gets immersion just right.

Talking of immersion: I still find it remarkable just how much of a difference scale makes in VR. I had this moment in Skyrim; I started walking from Whiterun towards the Eldergleam Sanctuary just after sunset, and at some point I realised that a Highland Cow was walking towards me... and then I noticed that next to it were two legs, so I looked up and saw that there was a giant only a couple of metres away from me. The same moment in regular Skyrim would've just been a flick of the mouse to take in the giant, but having to look up to see exactly what had ended up dangerously close to me? Well, it'd been a while since I last ran as fast (thanks to Natural Locomotion) as I did there and then. There's a huge difference for me in how it feels to look up at something or someone by moving the mouse upwards versus looking up by, well, looking up.

On a different note: thanks to the recent Eurogamer article I downloaded the companion mod, Vilja. The voice acting isn't very good, but there is a cheerful earnestness to it, added to which it's the first time I'm actually taking along a companion, and it very much changes how Skyrim feels. I suspect that I'd grow tired of Vilja more quickly in the regular game, but in VR it's kinda nice just to have someone standing next to you.

Am I the only one who still plays in VR on a regular basis... or am I the only one who made it out alive?!

O_o

Anyway: I finished Red Matter over the weekend. Definitely one of the VR games I'd recommend to anyone who's into puzzlers/adventure games that are heavy on atmosphere. The puzzles were just the right difficulty for me and the environment is moody and well done, added to which the game makes the various buttons, winches, valves and the like feel tactile in smart, subtle ways. It's cool how in VR you can override one sense by means of another to some extent: there are moments in Red Matter where you grab a lever and pull it, and the game makes it look as if the lever resists for a few seconds before you can pull it. You'd think that the dissonance between your hand movement (which doesn't really meet with any resistance, as you're not really pulling anything) and what you see (the lever not moving at all at first, then it moves slowly, until it's in the position where your actual hand is, more or less) would be odd or even uncomfortable, but my experience is that your brain puts together a sort of composite between the movement you've made and what your eyes show you, assisted by subtle force feedback nudges.

Has anyone here played Obduction by the makers of Myst? It's also playable in VR, and I'm curious whether it works as well as Red Matter does. VR is well suited to this kind of slow-paced adventure game, but doing it well so you actually feel like you're in the virtual world and interacting with it? That's an entirely different thing.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I haven't played that much VR so far this year, just a few sessions of American Truck Simulator and Elite Dangerous, as well as a bit of Derail Valley and Beat Saber.

But yeah, Red Matter was good, and I agree about the great object interaction.

Apparently Beat Saber will deliver new songs around 14/3 - some as a regular update, others as DLC. Not that this is altogether necessary for those using the user-made levels, but I'm happy to support the developers and they've generally done a very good job of mapping the tracks. Also, the campaign mode that the PS4 version has had for a while (AFAIK) should also be coming to PC as part of the update.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yup, looking forward to that campaign mode! Audica also apparently just got released, but instead of that I ended up picking up Counter Fight, which is on sale on Oculus for a couple bucks. It's pretty fun (and hectic).

Level 10,000 achieved

Oculus Rift S announced!

Pricing: $399
    Availability: Spring 2019
    Weight: A little more than Rift

Display:
    Resolution: 1,280 × 1,440 per eye (2,560 × 1,440 total)
    Type: Single fast-switch LCD
    Refresh Rate: 80Hz
    Field of View: ‘Slightly larger than Rift’
    IPD Adjustment: Software only

Tracking:
    Type: ‘Insight’ inside out – five cameras
    Capabilities: Supports 6 degrees of freedom head and controller tracking
    Recommended Environments: It should work in almost any lit indoor environment.
    Recommended Playspace: Oculus Rift S works with your environment, so you can play standing or sitting, in spaces big or small.

Tether:
    Length: 5 meter
    Connections: DisplayPort 1.2 & USB

Passthrough:
    Passthrough+: Low latency stereo-correct passthrough video
    Guardian: Boundaries traced from inside headset using passthrough
    Recommended PC Specs: Same as Rift except need DisplayPort 1.2 or later and just one USB 3.0 port instead of three
    https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-rift...ment-gdc-2019/

Hmm! Inside-out tracking is nice, but to get me to upgrade I'd want it to be wireless and have an even higher resolution, so I think I'll wait for a proper Rift 2.

I'm thinking about getting one, but I do wish it was a bit more of an upgrade. To be honest, I'd be more interested in HP's new offering, Reverb, which looks like a nice step up - but I think it only has two cameras for inside-out tracking, and I definitely see that being a problem when it comes to tracking the controllers. Oculus Rift S's five cameras together with the software being pretty good at extrapolation seem to do a good job so that in most cases you can grab stuff from your back or look behind you while interacting with something and it works. Same thing with two front-facing cameras? Unlikely.

I'm curious to hear more about Quest as well - not even so much for me as for my wife and for friends and family. Not needing a hefty PC in the living room and just being able to put the thing on and play half an hour of Beat Saber sounds pretty nifty to me. What I really like is the notion of being able to take it to a larger space and just being able to walk around, since there are no cables and no exterior sensors. For some reason, the idea of being able to walk more than 1-2 metres while in VR without bumping into a wall really excites me - even though I'd probably not actually find any such space where I could do so on a regular basis.

Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 381318232833383940414243