TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baldur's Gate Trilogy

Sadly I have not really played MotB yet, because my NWN2 character was a gimp Warlock who could not solo a halfling, and the character creation section at the start of MotB doesn't give all the background feats. I am slowly replaying NWN2, but it's painful.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Baldur's Gate 3, gameplay reveal. 27th Feb. By Larian Studios of Divinity fame.

Well that's a boring screenshot. I hope the gameplay will look better than the FMV.

Moderator and Priest
    You gotta respect the graphics, at least. That lighting looks almost real.

Apparently Dark Alliance is getting a new sequel as well. Believe that one when I see it, but there was an article up on Kotaku about it a few months ago.

Moderator and Priest
    What's Dark Alliance about anyway? I remember seeing it for the PS2 back in the day, but it always looked like a fairly standard Diablo clone to me.

It's sort of Diablo-ish, but you have direct control over your player character via the controller. That instantly makes a HUGE difference controls wise, since your not pointing and clicking where to move, clicking to attack etc. You just press the direction you want to go and voila. And you can jump. So that makes a difference as well. Use of health postions, mana potions, spells and special attacks all bound to specific controller buttons for further convenience.

In the first of the two games in the series, you only control 1 character only. In the sequel you can hire mercenaries, and if you go necromancer class can summon undead to assist you. But for the first game it's just you. Starts out with you delving through sewers fighting rats, then moves up to thieves, then your off to swamps fighting undead, later moves off to magical places with stone statues attacking etc. Visually it's FAR superior to Diablo 1 and 2, especially in the later levels. Just like Diablo 3, if you beat the game you can take that character and play through the game again on harder difficulty modes gaining better gear as you go along. If you beat all the difficulty modes, you unlock an extra character (who is from the Dragonlance novels if I remember right) who can dual wield, and is a thief. You also can unlock an arcade style arena mode which is quite fun.

It lacks the dialog heavy and choice driven nature of the PC games, as it's a pure action fest. I HIGHLY recommend playing it at least once. Just leave your PC entries stuff to the side, and judge it completely on it's own and it's a damn fine game.

It was only planned as a trilogy of games, but only 2 of the 3 games were released. A damn shame, as everything was going to be wrapped up in the 3rd. The second game has better class selection choices. I've only played through that one once, so can't say alot about it in depth. Did seem quite good, but I preferred the town setting of the first game.

If you get through the 2 games and are itching for more, well the PS2 has you covered, as there was quite a few games which use the Snowblind engine, which was developed for Dark Alliance. There was:

* 1 Fallout game called Brotherhood of Steel. No connection at all with the tactical games on PC of the same name
    * 2 games in the "Champions" series
    * Justice League Heroes

All play very similar.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

FMV cutscene.

Here we go, gameplay.
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 27th Feb 2020 at 22:18.

Well that needs some time in the oven.

Moderator and Priest
    Wuh? I didn't watch the whole gameplay video, but what I did see looked pretty good to me.

Quite a few bugs and things not working. A big complex RPG is a tough thing to get working right and Larian's one of the few companies out there doing Ultima-ish stuff, so they are making things even harder for themselves.

Interview with the devs.

After playing DOS2, I wouldn't trust any company but Larian to take on Baldur's Gate. Good to see Illithids getting their time in the spotlight.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12