TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: NewDark Monolog Filter

Dˇttirin klŠ­ist oft mˇ­ur m÷ttli

NewDark Monolog Filter

Is there a filter setting for monolog? I'm testing a mission which displays about 3 billions of entries "xxxx in bad cret position". If I remember correctly, there is a filter somewhere to disable this, but I can't find it in the NewDark documentation any more.

ZylonBane
    Maybe fix the bad creature positions?

Yeah, that would help. Most of the time, you get that error when an AI is partially in the wall terrain.

That's not necessarily a bug though. I have tons of AIs in solid, for such purposes as being teleported somewhere later.

I'm not sure you can filter monolog. You can filter what is generated when outputting a report, maybe that's what you're thinking of? All I can suggest is filtering the entries out later; shouldn't be too difficult in Notepad++

I know that "xxxx in bad cret position" isn't very interesting, it's not a real error. This message is just spaming the monolog, that's why I want to disable/filter it.
    I often watch the monolog when testing FMs (DromEd/Thief2 windowed, monolog to the left hand side) like a TV show Sometimes there are too many entries like that in monolog.

ZylonBane
    I thought storing AIs in solid was considered bad practice. I can't speak for Thief, but in SS2, teleported AIs are all stored in blue rooms.

I always put off-the-map AIs in a blue room, and I also make sure they aren't starting off in the floor.

Unna if you see those messages in great numbers in a specific mission then the author needs to check for AI placement and AI paths that take them clearly around corners. Because AIs sometimes come close to corners and terrain that sticks out it would probably be impossible to elliminate all of those messages.

The mission which we are testing is your mission, A Servant's Life. We try to fix it. Sometimes it's just crashing.

Bad cret positions won't crash the mission.

Please don't

Edit: Does the mission crash at any specific place?
    Last edited by john9818a; 26th Nov 2019 at 03:07.

Zombified
    crashdumps can be examined, and the culprit is usually found you know.

Crashes in Servant's Life seems random. We can't see a pattern.

Who can examine crash dumps?

I played twice yesterday, once on Expert and once on Normal and I didn't get any crashes.

After looking at the mis file I remembered that I purposely placed an AI in a position next to solid terrain to keep it from moving away. In a couple of others the AI are placed close to terrain. One is sitting on a chair made of solid brushes and the other is inside a small cage made of solid brushes.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by john9818a View Post
    After looking at the mis file I remembered that I purposely placed an AI in a position next to solid terrain to keep it from moving away.
    Good lord. You know there are actual, built-in, non-horrible-hack ways to accomplish this, yes? Mute the AIs senses... set up an explicit idle animation loop... put it to sleep... pose it... There's probably a dozen legit ways to make an AI stay put.

This AI was experiencing damage and could also see the player. At the time this was the only way to keep the AI in place and get the desired result.

Zombified
    Quote Originally Posted by Unna Oertdottir View Post
    Who can examine crash dumps?
    post them, we'll check (systemshock.org). include the main log as well.

Who's we? We (on SystemShock) have the tool to analyze the crash.dump.

[ ] You're joking
    [ ] You're a messenger for others, Very likely. "Others" should fire you. You're giving away too much.

Zombified
    the Council of Elder Dromeders. basically the old guys who have retired from forums, but are still interested in very specific Dark related stuff (scripts, hacks, etc). the coolest TFix enhancements usually come from them - as I'll never be able to reach that level of skill, I am really grateful for their assistance.

The council of retired mummified DromEders has a secret tool to read and analyze crash dumps. There's only one person/group who can do this.
    You're talking too much. Mr. Raven told me that you're fired since you can't keep a secret.

Zombified
    well, you are free to think whatever you want. all I know is that the crashdumps are readable if you know how (I don't, not a script/hack guy), and for example, if the crash is being caused by an object, there is a good chance its id can be extracted, simplifying troubleshooting tremendously.

also technically, I can't be fired from anything, since nobody is paying me for whatever I do around here.