TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Dromed Video Tutorial Series

Wow! XoraK! that did the Trick, it was very helpful, alright! my spiral staircase is done, i never thought it was this easy

Many thanks

Here's a spiral staircase made from 3 sided cylinders, and it has been properly roombrushed:
    http://catmanofiowa.com/RSoul/spiral.zip

On thing that helps is to make the steps overlap vertically, so each step is, say, 2 foot high but sunk 1 foot into the step below. Unfortunately I had trouble optimizing it once I added a surrounding solid pillar and an entry room.

Quote Originally Posted by Xorak View Post
    When I build a spiral stair here's what I follow. It's so easy you'll wonder why you ever had any difficulty at all in doing it.

You start with a wedge, half as long as the cylinder is wide and make it sure it is centered like below. So if the column is 14 units across, each wedge will be 7 units long. The width of the step doesn't matter too much. I used a W of 4 to create a nice angle, but a 5 also works in this case. If you use a 3 there will probably be gaps between each step, which is something you might want in some cases.

Then all you do is rotate the wedge 22.5 degrees and align it so that one end matches the end of the one in place, and the wider end goes beyond the outer wall of the cylinder. And you keep building these steps.

The beauty of this, is that you can first place these four wedges like this, and it will eventually all align, nicely even and perfect:

Then just continue to fill in the steps. I did the first series of steps. This should work on any size cylinder, it will only require more intermediary steps for each series.

And imperfections that exist where all the points of the wedges meet up in the middle, you can place a beam running the height of the cylinder and hide them.
    This is CRYING OUT to be made into a PDF ! Ive encounters a fair few threads where the screenshots are no longer being hosted by the remote server making the text in some cases almost impossiable to decipher the true meaning. Also numerous links are outdated,down and dead. Please guys. I ask you all to start creating content in a way thats future proofed as best as possiable. What i mean is that any tutorials,textures,objects etc you create will be in a zip or pdf so they are easily distributed and hosted. Even legendary thief sites I used to use often are now down and it scares me that the time invested by so many to create all the content, tools etc might one day be all lost. I especially think that without this forum thief editing would be totally dead. My thanks to all who moderate, maintain and update this tomb of knowledge for novice and alocote dromed'ers.

I'll put it together and upload it to my site. It is a good tutorial.

Master Builder 2018
    Let me know when you do and I'll add the link to the Tutorials thread.

UPDATE

I sent the thing to Xorak, who wanted to do better screenies and add more info. When he sends it back to me, I'll let everyone know.

TUTORIAL

Anyone wanting to host this tute, feel free to do so. After all, I may kick the bucket, and the wife won't pay to keep the site up, and then you taffers will be SOL.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett2014 View Post
    ...this tomb of knowledge...
    A place where knowledge goes to die?

Tutorial Videos are offline

The tutorials are not on YouTube anymore.

I downloaded the first two videos a while ago too learn when I don't have an internet connection.

Now I'm obsessed to finish the tutorial. I really liked them but I didn't have the time to finish.

Does anyone have a copy of the videos?

Southquarter.com/fms
    Try messaging the author, maybe?

Why do people do such terrible things to valuable content... I'm also interested, since prolonged reading strains my eyes, so for basics i prefer the videos

Too bad that Dale hasn't been online here since June, and he have no mail in his profile either. So i have no idea how to contact him. His "Lets Play" of my FMs is gone too. I have them saved so i could store them on my site, this guide too if i had it on my computer. But i don't know if its OK for him.

I found a different series in place of this one, at least https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0dHgEaUCEQ
    Older but probably still very relevant

Videos

Thankfuly I downloaded the full videos at the highest quality.

Should I upload them somewhere??

(just saw Beltzer's response now...)

Chaos: Do you have google drive or something like that. Or mail them to me, if they are not too big. PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Beltzer View Post
    Chaos: Do you have google drive or something like that. Or mail them to me, if they are not too big. PM me.
    Sir, yessir!!

If you don't run your own server, then either GDrive, MEGA or Dropbox preferably.

I would happily share them to my site, as i suggested. But as i wrote, i'm not sure if it's OK for Dale.
    I read this on the internet:
    Code:
    If by sharing, you mean clicking the share link where the YouTube video is playing in their own player
    and the person on Facebook can click to go directly YouTube, then no. It's 100% legal and actually, YouTube
    wants you to do it!.

However, if by sharing you mean to download the video or rip it and upload the video on your own Facebook
    account, much like many of the popular Facebook accounts are doing today, then that is called freebooting.
    Freebooting is theft of someone else's property and using it for your own gain and is a violation of copyright
    and intellectual property laws.
    It seems that i'm not allowed to share them if i don't ask him for permissions.

Southquarter.com/fms
    I think the key phrase there is "using it for your own gain." If you're not making money on it, I'm sure it's not an issue.

Freebooting pertains to situation where you steal one's content to leech on it purposefully (by advertising it as your own and gaining social following). This shouldn't be confused with reuploading for archiving purposes and properly crediting the author, especially in case of lost and/or unrecoverable content. This kind of practice is prevalent not only on YT, but especially on Archive.org.

If you don't intend to commercially profit on it, i'm sure Dale wouldn't have issues with that fact (and in case he did and reached to you, you could simply take it down again). Just be sure to properly label it as Dale's work and everything should be fine.

If you don't feel like uploading them, I might do that myself, though I'm not fond of sending large files over my ADSL with 1Mbps upstream speed

Maybe you two are right. But i want to talk with him first. I mean, why did he remove everything at youtube, it must be a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett2014 View Post
    This is CRYING OUT to be made into a PDF ! Ive encounters a fair few threads where the screenshots are no longer being hosted by the remote server making the text in some cases almost impossiable to decipher the true meaning. Also numerous links are outdated,down and dead. Please guys. I ask you all to start creating content in a way thats future proofed as best as possiable. What i mean is that any tutorials,textures,objects etc you create will be in a zip or pdf so they are easily distributed and hosted. Even legendary thief sites I used to use often are now down and it scares me that the time invested by so many to create all the content, tools etc might one day be all lost. I especially think that without this forum thief editing would be totally dead. My thanks to all who moderate, maintain and update this tomb of knowledge for novice and alocote dromed'ers.
    Also i agree with this. Preferably i'd advise to stop using crappy and unreliable file hostings at all (this includes things like Mediafire). External images should be ideally hosted on services like Imgur or (probably a crappier choice) Discord, which allow direct linking and don't slap these awful watermarks on your pictures (honestly, why would anyone keep happily sending their works to services like that is beyond me).

For non embeddable files, storage like Google Drive or MEGA could be used. It's kinda shame TTLG doesn't allow direct uploads.

Maybe you two are right. But i want to talk with him first. I mean, why did he remove everything at youtube, it must be a reason.
    Yeah that's the best thing to do first, but is he reachable at all?
    Last edited by Meowdori; 4th Dec 2019 at 15:08.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123