TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: NewTut on texts

Jered

NewTut on texts

THIS IS NOT MINE! I GOT IT FROM ANOTHER FORUM! DON'T GIVE ME CREDIT!

HAIL MOOHAIR INSTEAD OF ME!
    HAIL ME TOO FOR MY CONVERSATION TUT!

Hello mappers out there! I just found a way to add custom text to datacubes and to put your own e-mail-messages for computers into your map. It isn't very elegant and not too easy, but it works (there must be a better way to do that). So let's start:
    1. Write the e-mails and datacube messages EXACTLY as described in the editor manual.

All the e-mails and datacube texts are stored in a file named "Deusextext.u" in the system directory. With the "packer" for those files (ucc.exe), you can't add things to files...but you can make new .u-files

2. delete or rename the deusextext dir in your deusex dir

3. open unrealed and export all the classes (click on export all while the browser is in class mode)

4. copy the files you've written in step 1 to the deusextext dir in your deusex main dir (the export function generated it)

5. now copy those files again into the "classes"-dir located inside of the deusextext dir.

6. now rename the original deusextext.u file located in your system dir to deusextext.bak

7. open deusex.ini and search for a string like "Cdpath=e:". Change the drive letter to your deusex main directory (for example c:\deus ex)

8. now switch to dos command line and go to your deusex system dir

9. type "ucc.exe make" and press the enter button

10. after ucc.exe finished its work you have to rename the newly created "deusextext.u" file to the name of your map (if your map's filename is "thebigraid.dx", you can call your text file "thebigraid.u")

11. rename the deusextext.bak to deusextext.u

12. open the deusex.ini again and restore the old settings (Cdpath=)

If you want to add texts to your maps, you have to replace deusextext.u file with the file containing your custom texts. But then the user can't play the standard deus ex missions because the file containing the texts for the standard missions got replaced. So we'll have to restore the old status after the user finished playing the map. Either the user has to replace the files himself or we could write a batch file for it...

I thought about that:

cd ..
    cd system
    ren DeusExText.u DeusExText.bak
    ren thebigraid.u DeusExText.u
    deusex.exe
    ren DeusExText.u thebigraid.u
    ren DeusExText.bak DeusExText.u

if this batch is located inside the maps-dir together with the map file, the user just runs the batch and opens the map as usual ("open thebigraid" - thebigraid is only an example, you have to replace this with your map). When he leaves deus ex, the old file gets restored.

As i said, it's not easy....but if somebody knows an other way (maybe easier) please tell us. I'm working with the unreal engine for 3 days now, so i'm not very familiar with it. Maybe there's a better way....

------------------
    Interior Designer
    Thievery UT

Brother Murus

Thats REALLY complicated. There HAS to be a quicker way.

Jered

actuelly, disregard this whole thing. There was an issue in the hardcoding of DX so text files and conversations with custom sound can't be customized. Non sound conversations (like the tuts i wrote, still will work fine)

------------------
    Interior Designer
    Thievery UT

Brother Murus

What so we can't have our own conversation sound files or text files??

Jered

Not yet... It will overwrite evry time oyu play a mpa. Ion KNows they screwed up and a solution is in the works.

------------------
    Interior Designer
    Thievery UT