TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thief Gold FM : The Crazy Priest (21/1/2015)

Yah but thos are little pews for little prayers as FenPhoenix explains

A small church has got to have small pews, and I'm sure people other than Hammerites pray there.

NewDark 64 Contest Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    What is the other forum you guys are talking about, and why is everyone being so secret about it?
    rpgcodex

Bulgarian Taffer

Nice mission. Always a pleasant surprise to see a TG/TDP mission. Thanks for a fun experience. My only complaint - when I finished, I wanted more.

Love the funny note hidden on the roof. On the missions I have built, I have always been surprised how players find a way to get outside the playing area even when the author never intended that.

BBB

Ps: if you feel like building another TG mission, that would be great. I am working on a T2 rooftop mission which I made too big and is taking forever after that, I think I will do a TG mission.

Much thanks for the warm words!

I did consider making a sequel, but it would be unwise, because I'm wrapping up with the PhD thesis and have to stay focused

Maybe later

Quote Originally Posted by Bulgarian_Taffer View Post
    Much thanks for the warm words!

I did consider making a sequel, but it would be unwise, because I'm wrapping up with the PhD thesis and have to stay focused

Maybe later
    What's more important, another TG mission or your PhD thesis?

Only joking. I used to build missions much faster but real life has a way of getting in the way of Dromed. Good luck with your thesis!

bbb

Hah thanks

You know what? Creating a FM is harder than playing it :P

Finished on Normal in around 16 minutes without needing any hints. I managed to find all the loot, but this was mandatory anyway and the loot goal is the same for all difficulty levels. The Crazy Priest feels like a beginner editor's first mission: It is small, uses only stock resources, and the architecture is not overly complex. Despite these limitations, I enjoyed exploring the Hammerite chapel and the section of the Sealed Quarter nearby.

Story:
    The title of the mission is a bit odd. What exactly is supposed to be so crazy about brother Merek? The priest just seems to be doing his duty by sending thieves to Cragscleft Prison, and thus protecting the City.

Intro:
    Bulgarian_Taffer writes the intro was rushed, and it shows. The video is badly compressed. The audio quality is so low I could hardly make out what the heavily-accented "Garrett" was saying. Thankfully, it is almost verbatim the text from the mission info file.

Objectives:
    The objectives are standard and clear: Find the Chisel of the Master Builder, collect 725 in loot, kill the priest. I do not think it is within Garrett's character to kill someone for "fun" as stated in the mission info, so that was a little off-putting.

Difficulty Levels:
    The objectives are the same on all difficulty levels - even the loot goal. I do not think many people will replay this mission. Once you have finished it on any difficulty level, you have seen everything.

Architecture:
    I appreciate the mission's restraint: Many beginner missions are marred by large open areas that are a slog to trudge trough. In contrast, the Hammerite chapel and the section of the Sealed Quarter in this one make good use of space, with the chapel being designed a little better than the rather boxy huts in the Sealed Quarter. As others have pointed out in this thread, however, the tiny pews in the chapel are odd. Also, the placement of two wooden beams near the priest's hut in the Sealed Quarter allows players to easily climb out of bounds. Unless you create enough noise to lure the priest out of his hut, climbing up there is necessary to complete the mission. Almost all players will find the silly easter egg scroll when they do.

Patrol Routes:
    There is no reason why the Hammerite near the side entrance of the chapel would turn stare at the wall every couple of seconds, other than to allow players to sneak around and/or blackjack him. Feels very "gamey". The routes of the other two patrolling Hammerites were fine. Would have loved to have a chance to sneak up on the priest as well, but it is not possible.

Loot Placement:
    The loot placement in this mission is very good. I especially like how the ring is handled: Players normally would not find an object this tiny, but with the hint provided in one of the scrolls, it should be doable.

Lighting:
    The section of the Sealed Quarter is lit too brightly. It does not feel natural. The mission's atmosphere would have benefited a lower count of light sources and more moody lighting.

Sound:
    There are ambient sounds at the starting point and in the chapel. The ambient sound at the starting point noticeably cuts off when the player makes two steps away from it.

Readables:
    The readables are short and do not add to the atmosphere or the character of brother Melek. I liked the scroll containing the hint for the location of the ring though.

Overall:

4/10

Much thanks for the honest review. This is what I'd like to see more on this forum - the good and the bad. Plus rating - I really miss the old TheCircle hammer system.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123