TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: T2 Anniversary Contest Brainstorming Thread

T2 Anniversary Contest Brainstorming Thread

Greetings fellow taffers and sneaksie manfools. Thief 2 20th Anniversary Contest is slowly approaching. I created this thread, in order to create an open space, where forum users could post their inspirational ideas, wishes and suggestions concerning the shape of new missions. Putting formal aspects aside (we all know that there is another discussion about whether contestants will be limited to stock resources or not), please write here your ideas concerning mission types, level design solutions you would like to see, aspects of The City lore worth implementing, things to avoid etc.

In my opinion, Thief 2 was largely focused on different aspects of thievery, not just "break into x and steal y" mission types. Examples: eavesdropping, blackmail, framing someone, stalking, reconnaisance etc. Not all those ideas were executed perfectly. I don't think that we have many fans of "Kidnap" and "Casing the Joint" levels here. The upcoming contest is a golden opportunity for improving such aspects of gameplay.

Also, I think it would be great if some mission authors thought about putting together T1 and T2 lore. Here's an example:

Return to Cragscleft Prison

Briefing: this mission takes place shortly after Life of the Party. Victoria asks you to rescue a pagan agent imprisoned in Cragscleft. After the downfall of the Hammerites, the prison was taken over and renovated by the Mechanists. There are now bots and security cameras all over the place. With the help of new technology, the undead were expelled from the lower levels.

Objectives:
    - Break into the prison.
    - Rescue Victoria's agent.
    - Find a way to turn off security cameras.
    - Find a way to open the prison vault.
    - Grab valuable item X from the vault.
    - Find 4000 loot.
    - [Triggered by eavesdropping to a conversation] The Mechanists are talking about the apparition of a prisoner who died here many years ago. Find out more.
    - [After seeing the ghost] The apparition is the spirit of my old pal Cutty! Grant him eternal rest by doing Y.
    (After completing this objective, Cutty's ghost will give Garrett a tip on how to break into the vault)

How about to rename this thread to "T2 Anniversary Missions Brainstorming Thread"? I, for example, am planning to release one mission, however it will have a bunch of custom resources. Because of that I will be releasing the mission outside the contest, assuming it will limit to stock-derived creations only. T2 anniversary is a great opportunity to release a mission, regardless it will go to the contest or not. Sharing ideas might help any author that is planning to celebrate the anniversary with dromeding.

That only goes to show your bigotry: on one side you want to freely use all kind of unnecessary custom assets while complaining pettily on the name of this thread. I am sad to see that you think that the 20th anniversary contest means specifically the one with stock only, while it hasn't even been decided yet if there will be multiple contests. But that's not even the point, since Aemanyl was just asking for ideas about the missions that will be made for thief 2's 20th anniversary, stock or not.
    Have a nice day Sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Keeper Flix View Post
    That only goes to show your bigotry: on one side you want to freely use all kind of unnecessary custom assets while complaining pettily on the name of this thread. I am sad to see that you think that the 20th anniversary contest means specifically the one with stock only, while it hasn't even been decided yet if there will be multiple contests. But that's not even the point, since Aemanyl was just asking for ideas about the missions that will be made for thief 2's 20th anniversary, stock or not.
    Have a nice day Sir.
    He didn't said anything controversial, what is your point?
    He said "assuming it will limit to stock-derived creations only." Fair assumption judging from previous contest + the voting in the favour of stock only in another thread.
    And I think it's nice he will make a map no matter what the final decision on the shape of the contest will be. Nothing to get sad about, lol.

I am not complaining. I am just proposing to share ideas between larger group of people. I'm not saying the contest is fixed to stock-derived already, that's why I say "assuming" in my above post. Knowing how normal distribution works in polls, I don't expect the poll result to change much before it closes.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Thanks Aemanyl, I think this is a nice idea for authors and players together to discuss mission ideas for the anniversary, regardless of types of resources used. Even if none of the ideas here actually get used in a mission, it's a fun process to engage in, and perhaps some of the ideas brainstormed here will make it into a release.
    Last edited by Yandros; 11th Feb 2019 at 10:39.

Thank you kindly Yandros. Also, the purpose of this thread is not to demand anything from mission authors, it's merely to give them inspiration.

Here's another idea:

Running Interference II

Briefing: Rumor has it that Lord Aldric owns a collection of valuable diamonds. He is a conservative person, not very fond of technological progress and the Mechanists. For this reason, Lord Aldric lives in a mansion in the countryside. Instead of relying on artificial security systems, he has chosen to employ quite a number of guards. I was contacted by his former personal servant, Jeremy. Jeremy didn't want to tell me why Lord Aldric fired him, but he is determined to wreak vengeance on his former employer by poisoning water source in the mansion. He needs my help. Jeremy wants to break into the basement, but unfortunately the door was barred from the inside. I have to enter the mansion through the attic and clear the way for him. As a reward for my help, Jeremy promised to give me a wax impression of the key to Lord Aldric's treasury, where the collection of diamonds is being kept.

Objectives:

- Break into the mansion through the attic.
    - Unlock the barred door in the basement.
    - Once you are ready for Jeremy to go, give the signal using the birdcall he gave you.
    - Steal 4000 loot.
    - Steal the collection of diamonds.
    - [Optional] Rumor has it that Lord Aldric worships Trickster. Find out whether it's true or not.

What do you think about this sort of a mission?

i think it would be cool to have a mission of track the curiur II with a entirely different path to go on for both mission that end up in same place at very end

also you find raindrop the blue version of dewdrop on alt mission set

I'm not sure whether I'll be actually participating in the contest (I want to, but my time is fairly limited- only a few months out of the 1 year build time where I'll actually be able to get proper work done), but I have a couple of ideas of where I'm likely to go if I enter.

1. An entirely vertical mission involving an interior/exterior climb from an underground level to the top of an Angelwatch style tower (though much taller), with variance in theme per floor/level to cover most of the classic Thief bases.

2. A sort of "Thief Sandbox" where the only objectives are to gather loot and return to the starting point set in a decent sized city district, with bonus objectives revolving around several micro-narratives from the residents to create a story rather than one grand "steal the mcguffin" or "save the world" type scenario.

I plan to explore both, as well as do a mission more true to the initial, surreal premise of Heart and Soul at some point, but it may not be for this particular contest. My ambition may outweigh the time I have to realize it.

Quote Originally Posted by McTaffer View Post
    1. An entirely vertical mission involving an interior/exterior climb from an underground level to the top of an Angelwatch style tower (though much taller), with variance in theme per floor/level to cover most of the classic Thief bases.
    That's very interesting. It sounds like an inverted "In & Out" mission. I'd love to see Air Mages included on the topmost level.