TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Why is Garrett so poor?

Why is Garrett so poor?

Hi All; Just finish Thief Gold and i'm playing Metal Age now.

I wondered: Why is Garrett so poor? As we all know, Garrett is quite capapble of getting precious Gems, treasures that are precious even to nobles or even lost Antiquettes in some city that is abandoned long ago.
    He collects them in tons and these things must be worth quite a lot.

Despite all this, Garrett is still Poor, or at least we must say "not rich". He doesn't even have his own apartement and need to go making money to pay his rent.
    Of course we can say that these are just game design. However, is it realistic for a master thief like Garrett to live like this? Any idea?

Well, he's using all money he collected from selling loot to buy new equipment. Speaking of which, it's funny that in some missions loot objective is excused by paying rent, but just before the next mission he uses all money collected in previous mission to buy new equipment. In other words he didn't pay rent after all.

A thief will regularly accept a low payout from a 'Fence' for stolen goods, as these items are considered 'Hot' property. Try selling your stolen goods the regular way and you'll soon be caught. Expensive items will require provenance, when selling to a art/jewel dealer.
    Stealing a gem is all well and good, but it's just a lump of sparkly rock if you can't sell it. It also ties you to the crime if you happen to get caught by the authorities. Stealing often and selling low to a fence is usually the best course of action, especially if you are a gifted thief like Garrett.

ZylonBane
    Ale and whores.

Quote Originally Posted by Galaer View Post
    In other words he didn't pay rent after all.
    His landlord runs an illegal spice racket, and Garrett threatened to report him if he didn't shut up about the rent

The fact that he doesn't have his own flat perfectly makes sense to me, as he had to leave his home because of a fence selling him out in Thief II: The Metal Age.

Quote Originally Posted by Galaer View Post
    Well, he's using all money he collected from selling loot to buy new equipment. Speaking of which, it's funny that in some missions loot objective is excused by paying rent, but just before the next mission he uses all money collected in previous mission to buy new equipment. In other words he didn't pay rent after all.
    I think that he pays his rent... The cutscene states clearly that the landlord is pressing him for it....

My guess is that when you get loot in game, Garret automatically deduct a part of it for live money and the other part (the part we saw on game screen) for next mission equipment. For example, the metal age second mission on the dock the game asks to have 850 loot to pay the rent; When you have 850 in game, Garrett has actually 1000 in his pocket; 150 is for the rent/food/ale ... ect., and 850 is for next job equipment.

This deduction system is actually not total strange for games. In some RPGs like Balur's gate, the loot you get is actually "your part only" and the other money are for companions compensation/salary. Advendturer companions has some kind of contract between them to share loot/expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Purgator View Post
    A thief will regularly accept a low payout from a 'Fence' for stolen goods, as these items are considered 'Hot' property. Try selling your stolen goods the regular way and you'll soon be caught. Expensive items will require provenance, when selling to a art/jewel dealer.
    Stealing a gem is all well and good, but it's just a lump of sparkly rock if you can't sell it. It also ties you to the crime if you happen to get caught by the authorities. Stealing often and selling low to a fence is usually the best course of action, especially if you are a gifted thief like Garrett.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    Ale and whores.
    Yeah... Selling to the black market/fence for lower price is reasonable; However, those things Garret get in mission certainly worth a lot
    and he should be able to live better... I guess that he just drink/fxck around until he drains out his loot, then work again (missions)

Quote Originally Posted by Arcatera View Post
    The fact that he doesn't have his own flat perfectly makes sense to me, as he had to leave his home because of a fence selling him out in Thief II: The Metal Age.
    I agree about renting apartment... Considering Garrett life style, it is reasonable to rent an appartment instead of buy one...
    He needs to run away from time to time anyway.

Garrett is such a fascinating anti-hero as a protagonist and the world is such an interesting mash up of magical and mechanical, medieval and modern. If someone were to write books based in this world, I would read them. Garret's refusal to work with others (Keepers, The Downwinders etc) is the reason he is so poor despite his obvious skills. But the game does a good job of framing it all in Garretts viewpoint: "everyone is oppressed, everyone needs to make ends meet, ultimately it's irrelevant". Everyone is very human. The poor beggars are....poor beggars, the guards complain about their issues and worries in their journals, hookers look for business, even the rich nobles complain about their social life..

Because he doesn't invest in some decent mutual or index funds and lives hand to mouth no matter how much money he makes. Sort of like most people.

Also @ risolde. TTLG's own theBlackman wrote some lovely stuff loosely based on the the Thief world. "To Pay the Rent" is a full blown novel and I found it very enjoyable. PM me with an email addy and I'll send you the folder I have.
    Last edited by SlyFoxx; 21st Apr 2020 at 09:31.

Because it's not rent on his apartment he needs

It's rent for his body, he lives forever as long as he stumps up a fortune in gems every other month or so

... it's an idea

He is obviously a gambler. And his landlord charges him extra for being shady.

I think the unwritten assumption is that Garrett got mixed up in some Ponzi scheme some time between The Dark Project and The Metal Age. The original title of Thief 2 was supposed to be called "The Madoff Age", but they scrapped it. That's the explanation I've been going with anyway.

Garrett is ordained

Quote Originally Posted by far View Post
    I wondered: Why is Garrett so poor? As we all know, Garrett is quite capapble of getting precious Gems, treasures that are precious even to nobles or even lost Antiquettes in some city that is abandoned long ago.
    He collects them in tons and these things must be worth quite a lot.

Despite all this, Garrett is still Poor, or at least we must say "not rich". He doesn't even have his own apartement and need to go making money to pay his rent.
    Of course we can say that these are just game design. However, is it realistic for a master thief like Garrett to live like this? Any idea?
    You are not that far with the story so I will try to keep it spoiler-free. Having his own real property would be impossible, Garrett is to be killed on sight by guards, has enemies in the financial and political elites. As for the poverty, Garrett used to be an ordained keeper initiate taking an oath to maintain balance. To seal this they cursed him so that he cannot drink, gamble, get rich or lose his virginity (he learned this the hard way with Basso's sister, thus the growing contempt for the keeper order). Had he managed to break the curse he would succumb to these desires.

By the end of TDS he manages to lift his curse (oath sealed by glyph) and his alcoholism and late-stage STDs render him unworthy of his title of "master thief." This explains the control issues and shaking in Thi4f.

Thief 4 clearly explains this through its gameplay. He was saving up to buy the Swoop ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkness_Falls View Post
    Thief 4 clearly explains this through its gameplay. He keeps all those gems in his personal show cases.
    FTFY.

Quote Originally Posted by chk772 View Post
    FTFY.