TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2712171819202122

Thread: What are you kicking?

Thing What Kicks
    Argh, just typed a load about the Wooting Two, only to lose it in a freak BackSpace accident >:E

On initial setup, analogue input wasn't working. But that's because I had an Xbox controller attached before the Wooting, which my PC was seeing as controller one. And as Wooting uses XInput to map analogue stick movements to keys, that meant I wasn't seeing analogue until I unplugged the controller and restarted.

Build quality is superb, with the keyboard feeling robust and responsive, whilst not being too clicky (although I'll have to wait until I've played some co-op with the TTLG Kru before I can truly say that!)

I've set up a profile for Hitman 2 using the easy-as-pie Wootility (can be downloaded from here and used without a Wooting keyboard attached, so have a play to get an idea of what the keyboard can do).
    There's only four keys that need to be analogue for Hitman, WASD for movement, and thankfully each and every key can be controlled in Wootility profiles, meaning while WASD are analogue, all other keys are digital.
    By default, a full keypress also counts as a digital input too, so if you find a game's being wonky because it's confused over whether you're using a controller or KB&M, you can just fully depress keys.

And if analogue's still dicking you about, there's a handy, dedicated mode switch keey that allows you to switch to complete digital with a key-press. Alongside that button are 3 profile buttons, meaning you can switch between different profiles on the fly. And as the Wootility saves these profiles to the keyboard itself, if you take the keyboard somewhere with you, you don't need to redownload the Wootility and set everything up just-so again.

The Analogue Curves section allows you to tweak responsiveness of keypresses, so you can tweak a profile until it's behaving exactly the way you want.
    In addition, if you're so inclined, you can turn off digital key input completely while in an analogue mode, although that seems inadvisable.

With it being a contemporary mechanical keyboard, that of course means snazzy lighting schemes to, and being able to assign unique schemes to each profile makes it easy to see at a glance how the keyboard's configured.
    There's even animated lighting schemes, although they're a little too gimmicky for me.

Also with it being a mechanical keyboard, it's certainly going to take a while for me to get used to after having used my trusty Sidewinder X6 for the past decade or so.

Overall, very happy!

Level 10,000 achieved
    Bram Stolk, indie-dev of The Little Crane That Could-fame, is making a train-management game called Hexa Trains.

It's got HEXAGONS!

Level 10,000 achieved

Chakat sex pillow
    Excellent. The bit where she leaps off an enemy onto a platform above him was where I sat up and began to take notice. That combat and parkour ignites a feeling I haven't had since Prince of Persia 1/2 (and the running leap off a bridge onto a dragon's back just cements it). One to watch!

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah it looks amazing, and the story is really gripping and inspirational.

I'm not sure what to think of the gameplay though. All the cool dodge-moves during the fights look so varied and complex I'm having a hard time believing it's actual gameplay. I mean, perhaps it'd work if it's a Batman-esque system where you just tap the dodge button and she automatically does cool dodge moves.

Chakat sex pillow
    The Kickstarter page says dodge is crouch or jump for high or low strikes, and blocking is a single button press. I'm gonna hold off on judging the story because it's too early, the premise is familiar, and lines like 'We are the chosen, unquestioning faith is our salvation' make my left eyebrow twitch, but it's got promise.

Have to agree that it looks a bit too good. I'd really like even just a one room demo for the combat. A lot of it sounds really hard to pull off and they are only at the end of the pre-production stage.

The Coles have a new project, a prequel to Hero-U in the form of what appears to be a visual novel with some light RPG elements and puzzles:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-u/description

Also, they have a short demo (Windows, Mac, and Linux) that you can try out here: https://transolar-games.itch.io/summer-daze/purchase

I backed Hero-U, twice, and was pretty happy with the end result. As with Tesla Effect, I felt it had that certain spark that the old games had. And this one looks like it will also have the Coles' signature humour (puns) and, for the lack of a better word, wholesomeness.

35 hours to go for the Coles' project and still 15k short, though there is usually a surge in the last couple of days: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...aze-at-hero-u/

Still waiting for Tangiers.

Yup.

I have been following the dev's personal Twitter for a while (because the official Tangiers account seems to have been abandoned), but no talk about Tangiers at all lately -- except a pinned tweet, from last year, saying that there is now a small team working on it. I assume they are still at it, but an official update would be nice. Apparently there is also a secret project in the works, but I have no idea what that is about.

Moderator and Priest
    I love it when the "What Are You Making" and "What Are You Kicking" threads line up. When I see them, I immediately say "whattah ya buy'n" out loud.

Was looking good until I saw they sold non-cosmetic exclusive game content as part of the tiers.

Thing What Kicks
    Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Along comes Cyber Knights and I was all over that.
    If you've not played it yet, their previous game, Star Traders: Frontiers, is a corker.

Besides Tangiers, I'm kicking Cyan's Firmament, with reports coming in regularly, and Onevision's DYSTOA, with no reports at all nor any social media activity the last three months, and last update on DYSTOA was late 2018, so not sure what's going on there (they do have two games out, so they aren't completely unknown)). I also kicked Skookum Art's The Pedestrian, which just got released and their reports were exemplary through out.

Something completely different, but I pledged to the Kickstarter for a Sous Vide device, which finally arrived at the beginning of 2020. I think I might just take it for a test drive this weekend. Poached eggs, baby!

Don't know if I'll be kicking it yet, but Jeff Vogel is back, this time with a remaster for Geneforge: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...orge-1-mutagen

Geneforge is one of my favourite games of his right after Exile 3 (and maybe Nethergate) and I think it still holds up, if you can get it to run on your operating system. It was after this game series he started with all the remakes and the more streamlined stuff like Avadon that started tasting a bit too bland for my liking. His better games, though, are like a can of Pringles crisps AKA crack in a cardboard tube -- not a substantial meal by any means, but a good light-weight snack that you won't even notice how fast they're gone.

Level 10,000 achieved

get in my SAUNA!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...etro-aesthetic

The most Finnish game since My Summer Car. Had to back it.

also currently backing this slick-looking 1-bit platformer Garlic, which has 65 hours left on the clock.

The Sauna2000 trailer made me burst out laughing multiple times, so I decided that was a good enough reason to back it.

Here's some CoSaS trivia nobody except me cares about: Byron's voice actor was going to be Finnish, to honor the several Finnish members on our team.

Quote Originally Posted by Starker View Post
    Don't know if I'll be kicking it yet, but Jeff Vogel is back, this time with a remaster for Geneforge: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...orge-1-mutagen

Geneforge is one of my favourite games of his right after Exile 3 (and maybe Nethergate) and I think it still holds up, if you can get it to run on your operating system. It was after this game series he started with all the remakes and the more streamlined stuff like Avadon that started tasting a bit too bland for my liking. His better games, though, are like a can of Pringles crisps AKA crack in a cardboard tube -- not a substantial meal by any means, but a good light-weight snack that you won't even notice how fast they're gone.
    Oh, I'm sad I missed this one. Though I wish he hadn't added a colon and subtitle to the game's name. If Doom, of all games, can reuse the same name, so can Vogel's little games.

Doom's publisher has vastly more resources to make sure people and search engines know the difference (and that it's a new thing). I think this is also the reason he switched to Avernum from Exile (IMO a much superior title).

I got an update on Tangiers today - sounds like the team that worked on Paratopic is now working on Tangiers. They go by the name Arbitrary Metric, appears to be 4 people in total, plus freelancers. That's good news, although I'm not holding my breath or anything. They claim there will be another update in mid January.

LittleFlower
    Thanks for the update.
    This year I find it hard to find new games to play. For some reason. The new Pathologic was not for me. Scorn is still not released.

Tangiers was the 3rd game I was hoping to be good. It always sounded like it would be a game I would really want to play. Let's hope for the best. Let us know if there's more news. Thanks.

LittleFlower
    RPS did a short story on Tangiers:
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/202...ort-paratopic/
    When Brethren wrote "the team that worked on Paratopic", I didn't know what Paratopic was. It's a game.
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/897030/Paratopic/
    Although I prefer games with state-of-the-art graphics, I think I will buy and try Paratopic. If only to support Alex Harvey.
    He made a post about the current state:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/3018773

Short impression of the atmosphere of the environment in Tangiers:

One of the games I helped kickstart was in a genre that doesn't get a lot of attention, so I was happy to see that the devs were focussing solely on bringing new experiences into it, but now I don't know what to think any more:
    They've always been a bit spotty on communicating with their fans and supporters. I understand that not everyone can be a social peacock and I know that any creative work, especially in a niche genre, takes time, more than one could ever predict, so I've been understanding, giving them space, even defended them at one time when others were being less patient. Now the lack of communication has gotten more acute, even when something is obviously up. I have seen people come back from worse (and, yes, this year especially has been shit for everyone), but there are also other things adding up: They start new projects all the time, but never finish anything; not the kickstarted game nor anything else (except two in the past of which one has been in Early Access for three years). They also aim to release on every available platform, which seems excessive to me, because they can't seem to even release on one platform (maybe just release on one (even if it's one I don't have access to) and then let the others come later?).

I have always assumed they were legit -- a little flaky or struggling with something else, but still legit -- (if not legit, then I don't understand their model of business). Then, recently, all their store pages on Steam were blocked due to some unwanted activity. The devs are of course claiming that this is a mistake, but are also not giving out much information and only when I asked about it directly, so I don't know exactly what happened other than what's apparent on the surface.

I'm running out of patience, but, of course, there's nothing I can really do -- or will do. The only thing I can do is just forget about it and instead waste my time on something else.

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2712171819202122