TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Have You Ever Scrapped A Mission?

Have You Ever Scrapped A Mission?

FM authors, have you ever dumped a mission because you weren't satisfied with it, maybe even after a lot of work on it?

Many, many times. I've started probably 10 times more missions than I've finished.

How far were you into them? How large did you let them get before you decided? Have you ever gotten far enough to finish objectives, and then change your mind about release?

No, furthest I've got would be all terrain done and textured, most objects placed. If I've got objectives in there, it's because it's got far enough to be worth seeing through to the end. I've only abandoned stuff if I've not been sure how to tell a story in the space, or earlier if it's just not much fun to explore.

I scrapped my very first mission... the only one I made with TG. I later ported it over to T2 before scrapping it, but my architectural methods were so pitiful that I didn't want to release it. IIRC there were two objectives, loot & rescue the hermit.

Yes.
    I'd been trying things out in Dromed for a while but didn't get very far, so I decided to try the stepwise refinement method (do the whole thing very simply, then go back over and add details). I built a full mansion and got the basic texturing done. I learned about using stacked brushes to make wood trim and wallpaper, and how to make nice looking door frames, rugs surrounded by tile/wood, stairs with properly aligned textures etc. When it came to adding furniture and lighting I realised everything was too big, so I decided to start again with something smaller.

There was no meaningful story, so it felt more like a useful learning experience rather than something I'd poured my heart and rsoul into.
    Last edited by R Soul; 12th Oct 2019 at 13:44.

So you all think it's better to start again, rather than release if you don't have a good feeling about it?

It depends if it's a fundamental problem with the mission or if it's something that can be fixed. For my second full sized FM, Stones and Glass Houses, I was having serious doubts about the story, so I made some major changes and I became much more enthusiastic.

You FM is of course your hobby, and your free time, so only you can make the decision. And you can always change your mind.

The reason I want to scrap this is amateur building....

Can't see that improving any time...

Almost scrapped my first mission which was the KOMAG tutorial enhanced.

When I expanded it I (for some stupid reason) built a mansion brick by brick (actually wall by wall). I created lots of angles to add interest but each room was 4 walls (1 foot thick solid brushes) a floor and a ceiling with nooks. Room brushing was an absolute nightmare and I nearly gave up.

I am someone who really hates to give up on anything so I ultimately finished it. Not a great mission but it started my love/hate relationship with Dromed.

As far as amateur building, all my missions are probably somewhat amateur-like with all stock resources and no real WOW moments. But I do my best and understand my missions get played and some enjoy them. Don’t be so hard on yourself. I actually love simple missions - break in places, steal loot, knockout, climb and blackjack.

Yeah, but this is my tenth mission. They still don't look any better.

I tell myself I don't have to compete with reality, so as long as the terrain looks plausible then its ok. I have the hardest time trying to make creative terrain/buildings, so on some buildings I Googled Victorian architecture.

I have the same problem. When I had to make a nice estate home for The Time That Has Passed, I just downloaded a bunch of nice home plans and asked Nightwalker which one she thought was the nicest. Copying was easier than trying to come up with something creative, although I modified the interior somewhat.
    Still though, I'm just wondering how often authors have listened to their inside voice and scrapped their work. I play other peoples' missions once in a while, and I'm asking myself within a minute in some of the best ones why I even keep trying.

I think some people live in cities that have Thiefy architecture so they're more familiar with how things should look. Now that I think of it, my first released mission had very basic buildings with no style, and the beta testers made me aware. My mission I'm currently working on is the same map/terrain as the first mission except there will be a lot more detail and more places to explore.

The most helpful thing for making better looking missions is to simply start ripping off bits of other levels, games, even photographs you like. Try to recreate a building facade from a photo. Open up someone's mission that you were impressed with and see how they made it. Now recreate it yourself to get a sense of the scale and placement of brushes. Open up a game you think looked good and take screenshots. I started making Death's Turbid Veil as an exercise to recreate the mansion from Assassin's Creed 2.
    If you end up using the stuff you've built wholesale, you can of course give credit where it's due, but more often than not you'll find yourself expanding on what you've copied until it's uniquely your own. Even if the experiments don't end up in the final mission, it's all good practise.

The building in The Power Of Suggestion that you have to hop to and go down the chimney was built from a photograph. In this one I'm working on now, Garrett starts in an abandoned run down building that is actually from a photograph from 2007 of a decrepit building in Chicago. And as mentioned I built the estate in The Time That Has Passed from houseplans.

Hey, if any good FM builder would like to look at this so far and give some helpful suggestions, I'd be grateful. It badly needs improvement.

Master Builder 2018
    Interesting to read these, but lol-ed ".. there were two objectives, loot & rescue the hermit".

Uncadonego, assuming you haven't already, maybe step away from dromed completely for a week or three.. read a book, watch some movies, get some inspiration from being outdoors, redecorate the house, etc. Cleanse your palate so you can come back to it with fresh eyes before you decide.

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    Quote Originally Posted by uncadonego View Post
    The reason I want to scrap this is amateur building....
    Amateurs everywhere over here, so that's okay.
    I don't want some nice looking missions, I want gameplay. We already have a lot of FMs with stunning visuals that lacks gameplay. They are just boring.
    Do something quaint to make it interesting but not nice. Nice is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Unna Oertdottir View Post
    Do something quaint to make it interesting but not nice. Nice is bad.

I think I know what you mean, but it sounds funny.

Quote Originally Posted by pukey brunster View Post
    Interesting to read these, but lol-ed ".. there were two objectives, loot & rescue the hermit".

Uncadonego, assuming you haven't already, maybe step away from dromed completely for a week or three.. read a book, watch some movies, get some inspiration from being outdoors, redecorate the house, etc. Cleanse your palate so you can come back to it with fresh eyes before you decide.
    I think I also had the "get your equipment" objective. I also initially had no concept of building air brushes inside solid brushes. I started making all of my walls and ceilings as individual brushes. Most of my efforts were based on my experience with DCK.

All of us are amateurs because we don't and can't get paid.