TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Thief game from gog and steam.

Thief game from gog and steam.

Hello and friendly greetings, life's taken me away for so long and recently had some burning questions, since Amazon doesn't ship a retail copy to my country and recently having lost my CD copy of game files I go straight to the point, which version of the game is closest to be fan mission compatible and doesn't contain any 3rd party scripting?

Thief 2 from Gog or steam?

What I mean by that is a company' or publishers attempt at adding unnecessary coding other than the absolute necessary to run the game in their advertised platforms and that it doesn't break the game integrity from being fan mission compatible.

Sincere regards, yours Ghostly.
    Last edited by Ghostly; 19th Oct 2019 at 19:12.

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    GOG is recommended.

ZylonBane
    Cease your paranoid babble. No Dark Engine games have any platform integration on GOG or Steam. The Steam and GOG versions are (theoretically) identical, so just get the GOG version. Then patch with T2Fix if you feel like it.

That's a relief to hear not sure why people I'm around has such babble I was lead to believe as if they had integration, sounds great.
    May I ask why Gog version is more prefered?

Zombified
    the steam version is a horrific mess of outdated files that barely works, and I feel sorry for anyone playing it as-is.

doesn't matter as long as you patch up, but many steamers are unwilling to apply unofficial updates.

Indeed. For a better out-of-the-box experience, the GOG distribution is highly preferable to the Steam release due to the inclusion of NewDark and the fact that it actually includes the latest versions of all official components; however, if you plan to install T2Fix after purchasing the game, any distribution should suffice.

I appreciate the recommendations and for learning about their similarities, I got the copy from steam for convenience's sake for being an established member there already as I have no interest of any out-of-the-box experience because I am going to apply the T2Fix for it at end of the day regardless before any play time for getting it patched up, since it's just going to be the same game files as if it was from the original disc.

It should work just fine as I can just drag the installed game files to my own folder of direction if the steam forces it into program files path, my main concern out of this topic was just if there was some shitty integration going to be dealth with and since thats not the case it helped me a lot to learn the truth out of that, really wish more people learn that as well if newer generation's may have such questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax64 View Post
    For a better out-of-the-box experience, the GOG distribution is highly preferable to the Steam release due to the inclusion of NewDark and the fact that it actually includes the latest versions of all official components
    Steam doesn't include NewDark? Doesn't that mean it is unplayable as it will freeze after a minute or so, on multi-core machines? (ie pretty much any machine nowadays)

Zombified
    steam uses an outdated DDFix version to make it run on modern computers, barely (forced 800*600). it also uses that broken, hybrid 1.07/1.18 build from MasterTronic - while technically playable and completable, it is a pretty bad way of being exposed to the game, especially if you are a first time player.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigam View Post
    Steam doesn't include NewDark? Doesn't that mean it is unplayable as it will freeze after a minute or so, on multi-core machines? (ie pretty much any machine nowadays)
    Taking voodoo47's word that Steam did not include NewDark if I remember it correctly as I just quickly skimmed through (sorry was so excited) the game files while dragging out of program file path and into my own game file path before applying T2Fix.
    NewDark was first introduced with the unofficial Thief 2 V1.19 patch which was the stepping stone to make Thief 2 run baby-smooth on modern multi-core machines the right way, so yes I would say it could be unplayable by default.

Wish whoever is responsible would apply required elements from the unofficial T2Fix and get it re-uploaded for steam player base.
    Last edited by Ghostly; 24th Oct 2019 at 21:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigam View Post
    Not necessarily, i had to deal with this very issue way back in 2005 on my Pentium 4 machine. You can make the game process use only single core, either after starting it and manually switching CPU affinity in Task Manager/Process Explorer/etc or calling it via shortcut following this scheme:

%systemdrive%\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start "Thief" /affinity 8 "[path_to_Thief_executable]"
    With the affinity number calculated according to this formula https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/san...-affinity-set/

Still this is merely more of a curiosity than anything, because most people are more likely to want to run Thief 1 and 2 using the NewDark executables, since they add lots of good things like 16:9 ratio and custom resolutions support, among crapload of other settings adjustable in cam_ext.cfg

GOG version seems to be always using the newest NewDark release (with original LGS' executables provided in a backup directory, which is a big plus imo), so that's what i'd recommend.