TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Problem with multiple switches controlling a door

Problem with multiple switches controlling a door

Hello all, novice DromEd user here.

I made a secret sliding door that opens by flipping a hidden switch, and a second switch on the other side of the door so that I can close it behind me. I found that I need to flip the second switch twice to shut the door again. How can I fix that? I already tried fiddling with the JointStates under Tweq, to try and get the 2nd switch in the down position to start with, but anything I try either does nothing or auto-activates the door.

Sorry if this has been asked and answered before, but I couldn't think of useful search terms.

Give the second switch a "FrobProxy" link to the first switch with "AllowDirect" checked in the Data options. This will sync the two switches to each other.

Perfect! Thank you.

It never occurred to me to just have them flip in sync, not that I would have known how to do it in the first place.

I would just ControlDevice link both switches to each other. With the FrobProxy one of the switches can't actually be frobbed.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator

Both of those work, but I need AllowDirect if I'm using the FrobProxy link for both switches to be frobable.

TIL FrobProxy can AllowDirect. That's useful!

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    So did I!

I'm just wondering what the benefits are using one vs the other. I can understand using FrobProxy if the object you frob doesn't have joints, but with two levers its kinda redundant IMO.

As far as I can tell they are both equivalent in this situation. I prefer FrobProxy but that's just personal taste.

Also, if you add a third switch you only need to FrobProxy or ControlDevice/~ControlDevice link back to the first switch. I was worried I'd have to set up links between every pair of switches in the set to get the correct behaviour, but fortunately not.

I've not tried it, but maybe the joint timing is different?

i.e. with a ControlDevice link, you frob a lever, it animates, then the other lever triggers and animates afterward. With FrobProxy, maybe the joints move in sync? I'll need to give this a try.

I used FrobProxy in my last mission on the clutch of the water turbine, and it triggered the lever as soon as the clutch finished its movement to the flywheel. The thing about levers is that they send On signals only when they finish their animations.

Although I've used FrobProxy links for this sort of thing, there's something nicely mechanical about having the second switch waiting for the first switch to finish.

I agree. I initially used NVRelayTrap with a delay, but as I first used a value of 0 I realized that the delay wasn't necessary.