TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Thief 2: The Metal Age English Subtitles

Thief 2: The Metal Age English Subtitles

I've been searching for Thief 2 subtitles, but the ones provided around here were pretty buggy. There was also a thread where an user who translated the game in Turkish supposedly uploaded an English version of the subtitles, but they edited every post they made. So after a bit of research, I found the Turkish translation: https://tablet.donanimhaber.com/thie...4846#105984846

To my surprise, they include full English subtitles for the ingame voice lines. Some character names such as guards, thiefs, etc were translated in Turkish, so I did my best to get everything in English. Videos were all in Turkish, however, but I got all the briefings from the wiki and made subtitles for those, too. I thought about making two versions.

- Subtitles for every voiced ingame and video line, ignoring the text shown in the briefings and the intro:
    - Full subtitles transcript, with briefings text, intro and "success" prompt, for completition sake (and translations)

Here's a MEGA folder containing both: https://mega.nz/#F!OuYzGADB!q9mIp-bLrfLM_QZdrzL5aQ

Place the SUBTITLES folder in your Thief 2 directory and edit your USER.CFG. This is what I added to my USER.CFG to make them work:

enable_subtitles
    subtitles_show_descr
    subtitles_font_dir intrface\
    subtitles_font_name fontaa29
    subtitles_color_player 0 255 255
    subtitles_color_convo 255 255 255
    subtitles_color_bark 255 255 255
    subtitles_color_urgent 255 0 0
    subtitles_color_fx 255 0 0
    subtitles_color_movie 255 255 255
    subtitles_bg_color 0 0 0 90
    subtitles_bg_textwidth
    movsubtitles_bg_textwidth
    Last edited by Taffingtaffer; 1st Nov 2019 at 10:52.

Thanks !

It will help me to understand how the subtitles work in videos.

PS : Did you mean USER.CFG ?

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan_Key View Post
    Thanks !

It will help me to understand how the subtitles work in videos.

PS : Did you mean USER.CFG ?
    Ah, yes! Sorry about the typo. It seems the thread title reads "Subtitiles", too. ^^" If some mod wants to fix it, go ahead.

I only have 4 missions left to finish the game, so I'll upload the subs for the briefings and cutscenes soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffingtaffer View Post
    Ah, yes! Sorry about the typo. It seems the thread title reads "Subtitiles", too. ^^" If some mod wants to fix it, go ahead.
    I guess you can do it by yourself. Log in and click on Edit post just beneath your first post and name. (There's a triangle too)

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan_Key View Post
    I guess you can do it by yourself. Log in and click on Edit post just beneath your first post and name. (There's a triangle too)
    Didn't know you could change it in "Advanced settings".

Anyway, I just uploaded a new version with the briefing dialogue! Check out the main post.

Text in movies is surrounded by a black rectangular box.
    How can I make the box transparent? i.e invisible

Quote Originally Posted by bassoferrol View Post
    Text in movies is surrounded by a black rectangular box.
    How can I make the box transparent? i.e invisible
    Good question. I just put what the OP from this thread suggested: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144354
    There's a .txt inside their upload that explains some settings for subtitles. It seems like you have to set the background color values to 0 0 0 0. In the movies case, it would be like this:

movsubtitles_bg_color 0 0 0 0

Quote Originally Posted by Taffingtaffer View Post
    Good question. I just put what the OP from this thread suggested: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144354
    There's a .txt inside their upload that explains some settings for subtitles. It seems like you have to set the background color values to 0 0 0 0. In the movies case, it would be like this:
    Now this is good.
    Thank you!

So, according to these subtitles was it "knickers", "knackers" or "neckers"?

I know this is like a year and a half later than the last comment, but I Just wanted to say I noticed one of the subtitles for one of the guard's lines featured in at least the first mission says "best boots *unintelligible* money" but what is actually said appears to be something along the lines of "take your best boots and get them all muddy". I can't remember exactly because I didn't record it and haven't got around to playing it again just yet. I'm not sure whether you ever intended to update it or anything and I know it really picky but just wanted to say in case it helps anyone at all who would like to get the subtitles more accurate

Thanks for this though! It's absolutely fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by scarend View Post
    I know this is like a year and a half later than the last comment, but I Just wanted to say I noticed one of the subtitles for one of the guard's lines featured in at least the first mission says "best boots *unintelligible* money" but what is actually said appears to be something along the lines of "take your best boots and get them all muddy". I can't remember exactly because I didn't record it and haven't got around to playing it again just yet. I'm not sure whether you ever intended to update it or anything and I know it really picky but just wanted to say in case it helps anyone at all who would like to get the subtitles more accurate

Thanks for this though! It's absolutely fantastic!
    No, by all means, report these things; I grabbed these subtitles from someone else, so I can't say if there are errors or not. I'd appreciate if you could confirm the exact line, though. This is how it would end up: "Rocks don't take your best boots and get them all muddy money." I feel like something's missing before "money". ^^" If you're lucky enough and encounter that line again, tell me the exact words and I'll update it. That way we can ping Jax64 to update the mod in T2Fix.

I can't download the subtitles. Does anyone still have them?

Quote Originally Posted by kabamaru View Post
    I can't download the subtitles. Does anyone still have them?
    Sorry, I don't know what happened, but I made a new link that contains both versions of the subtitles. You can still get them through T2Fix, in case something happens again.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigam View Post
    So, according to these subtitles was it "knickers", "knackers" or "neckers"?
    Since this thread has re-emerged, I'd still like to know the answer

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    I've always assumed it's "knickers" as in knickerbockers.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigam View Post
    Since this thread has re-emerged, I'd still like to know the answer
    Knickers, and it's only said once.

I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for, but Thief 2 HD Mod made by Bentraxx has full in-game subtitles, including all NPC dialogue lines, and it worked very fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Meowdori View Post
    I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for, but Thief 2 HD Mod made by Bentraxx has full in-game subtitles, including all NPC dialogue lines, and it worked very fine for me.
    They seem based on the same subtitles of my post.