TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Book text alignment

Master Builder 2018

Book text alignment

I am suddenly unable to center a line of text on a page of a book. I was using the PosterScroll object with parch3 book art, though I have since tried parch and parch2 as well. I've tried using ParchEd and just doing it by hand, but no matter how many spaces I indent the text (using the space bar), it always remains justified to the left margin. Other lines of text are being moved from the left margin, but not the first line, or title, which is what I want centered. I've opened it in Notepad++ and checked for any special characters, page breaks, End of Line symbols, etc. but all that is there are the expected End of Line symbols at the end of each line of text.

For reference, it should look like this:

TITLE
    Subtitle

Body text...

But instead it looks like this:

TITLE
    Subtitle

Body text...

The subtitle can be moved over from the left margin, though I haven't managed to get it centered yet, but the title will not budge from the left margin.

I tried using a book object and changing the model name to match the open scroll, and that didn't work either. I tried using the PBOOK book art on the scroll, but that just crashed dromed.
    I've centered text countless times in the past and have never run into any such thing. I'm hoping someone has some ideas.

Dttirin klist oft mur mttli
    I don't know. But you might insert some funny looking ANSI Code characters to move the text.

Code:
    ```````MyText```````

I usually just add a dot as the first character then add spaces to move the text to the center.
    It would basically look like this.

Code:
    .           TITLE
               Subtitle

Master Builder 2018
    Both good suggestions, thanks. I'll probably resort to one, but wish I knew what was causing this. Never saw it before.

Unna, Id like to have these characters for Spanish:

Can you do it for me?

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    It's not up to Unna, it's a question of whether or not the book font supports them.

Supported are the ANSI characters 1-127 (standard ASCII) and the extended character set (128-255)

means, you can also have other characters as usual. This works for example

Code:
     MyText 
    But some others won't work. Just try it.

If you have only one page in your book you could create a new book with the centered text added directly to the book image.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    It would be easier and use less resources to place the text as a decal on a blank page, wouldn't it?

Master Builder 2018
    Either of those would work, yes. But this is for the update of The Scarlet Cascabel, and we're still sticking with the original contest rules. Just cause, lol.

Guys, what about the character = 255 (0xFF) for text alignment? AFAIK, it looks just like the whitespace.

BTW, the matter of text alignment is very important for those who translate FMs. Wish there was a way to check all FM readables at once, either by pressing a special key combination, or by clicking a hidden area in the game's menu, or by loading a tiny hidden level that includes all FM readables in a tiny room...

To find a list of readables, you have to load the mission in DromEd.

Hit F5, mark object (-1)
    Hit query
    -->Book-->Text
    -->Book-->Art (if there is one)
    This is the list of book objects and the str names.

You mean I can watch readables there, in DromEd, the same way as it would be in the game? I'm afraid, I'm no DromEd user .
    I suppose, it'll be difficult enough for FM authors to create a tiny level with all FM readables?

You can note the book object number and jump to the object (key: F8). Go in game mode there and read it.

This a very basic task in DromEd. You can learn it in a couple of minutes, just try it.

Hmm... I'll try.

Quote Originally Posted by MoroseTroll View Post
    Guys, what about the character = 255 (0xFF) for text alignment? AFAIK, it looks just like the whitespace.

BTW, the matter of text alignment is very important for those who translate FMs. Wish there was a way to check all FM readables at once, either by pressing a special key combination, or by clicking a hidden area in the game's menu, or by loading a tiny hidden level that includes all FM readables in a tiny room...
    I tried that a few days ago and it actually generates a character in Thief. IIRC it was like this:

Yikes! Sorry, I didn't know that .

NewDark added the 'notrim' option so that you can do leading whitespace easily. Just add the option in your readable (I always put it before the text, but I think it works after it as well), and then Thief wont steal all your spaces from in front of your title.

Support for leading whitespaces, in order to for example center a page title, has also been added but is not enabled
    by default in order to not break any existing content. It has to be enabled for each book .STR that wants to use it
    by adding a "no_trim" value like this:

no_trim: "1"

Quote Originally Posted by MoroseTroll View Post
    Wish there was a way to check all FM readables at once, either by pressing a special key combination, or by clicking a hidden area in the game's menu, or by loading a tiny hidden level that includes all FM readables in a tiny room...
    First, make a note of the book text and book art for each readable in the mission in notepad or on paper or whatever (for example, using the query Unna described to find them).

Then later you can check any of them quickly from the console in Dromed. Go into game mode, press : to open the console, and type:

test_book_ex bookname,artname

This will reload the .str file before displaying it, so you can alt-tab back and forth to your editor to tweak the text, and back to the game check the book again easily. When coming back to the game, use Ctrl+P to open the console instead of : and it’ll keep the last command so you don’t even have to type it again while tweaking that book.