TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Advice: Thief HD textures or enhancement textures doesn't load in Dromed

Advice: Thief HD textures or enhancement textures doesn't load in Dromed

I'm not asking for help on this one, so don't worry. But instead helping those that don't know about the Thief HD Mod 1.0 and Thief Gold HD Mod 1.2 textures enabled in cam_mod.ini when opening a fan mission in

DromEd. Unfortunately you'll have to use the basic original raw textures that Thief 2 or Thief 1/Gold came with. DromEd has a hard time loading textures that use a lot of CPU and it crashes without an error message.

So, for advice. It's best to disable any enhancement or HD textures when editing or creating a fan mission. Just wanted to point that out. I had to figure this one out myself actually. You can enable them again once you are done

creating/editing your mission for playing.

Zombified
    that's kind of a yes - ideally, you'd want to create the fan mission using the stock resources, however, double checking whether things look proper with the popular hd texture packs is highly recommended (considering the resolution of the vanilla textures, it's very easy to not align them properly, something that will only become apparent once the hd pack is loaded).

It’s best to make a 2nd copy of your Thief 1/Gold and or Thief 2 installation. Since DromEd is very messy and it would save time

to avoid being confused and lost again only to mess up the game files. One installation for Dromeding and one

installation for playing.
    Last edited by mcmike1489; 27th Jun 2019 at 12:36.

ZylonBane
    Thanks, Peggy Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    Thanks, Peggy Hill.
    Using the raw original textures in DromEd is useful too, but what voodoo47 says with aligning the HD textures together does correct some geometry for example, brick and rock textures that may look crooked.

ZylonBane
    Time for Wapner. Definitely time for Wapner.

Time for Wapner. Definitely time for Wapner.
    I saw a Youtube video on the DromEd tutorial and the guy said that using the textures that Thief came with instead of the HD textures only shows you how the mission will look like and then once you are done designing it, the HD

textures can enhance your mission. Here is the link of the video I saw. He has 7 parts to the tutorial that he made. https://youtu.be/nFIcXS4qx4E

It's not CPU, it's memory.

DromEd has a software renderer, so it has to uncompress the textures when it loads them, unlike the game itself which can load textures compressed using DXT1 straight into video memory.

Also, as a 32-bit application, it's limited to using 4GB of RAM.

From the docs:

When running DromEd all DXT textures are decompressed to 32-bit RGB textures on load, because certain editor
    elements use software rendering/drawing functions which can't handle DXT.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    It's not CPU, it's memory.

DromEd has a software renderer, so it has to uncompress the textures when it loads them, unlike the game itself which can load textures compressed using DXT1 straight into video memory.

Also, as a 32-bit application, it's limited to using 4GB of RAM.

From the docs:
    So, you’re saying that there is a way to load the HD textures into DromEd without it crashing on me? Then, how so in the Dromed.cfg file is a setting to enable the renderer to load the HD textures successfully?
    Last edited by mcmike1489; 28th Jun 2019 at 13:47.

You can use high Rez textures as long as you curate reasonably. Don’t load every single HD texture, and regularly purge unused textures.

Quote Originally Posted by trefoilknot View Post
    You can use high Rez textures as long as you curate reasonably. Don’t load every single HD texture, and regularly purge unused textures.
    Ok, so how exactly do I get DromEd to load only those HD textures I want without it crashing?

Load the family you want—a single fam shouldn’t crash it—then drop all the textures you don’t want to use. Rinse and repeat as needed. A bit tedious, but it’s the simplest way to accomplish what you want.

Load the family you want—a single fam shouldn’t crash it—then drop all the textures you don’t want to use. Rinse and repeat as needed. A bit tedious, but it’s the simplest way to accomplish what you want.
    Ok, cool. Yeah, so loading a texture family of my choosing from the texture palette is easy to do. I'll try that then, thanks!

You can also load individual textures one at a time, instead of families.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    You can also load individual textures one at a time, instead of families.
    That works too, just choose them by category such as metal, brick, rock, stone, wood, etc.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by mcmike1489 View Post
    That works too
    Yeah, he knows it works. That's why he told you about it.

Yeah, he knows it works. That's why he told you about it.
    It's best to load the HD textures first before loading the fan mission I want to edit/create because loading a fan mission with the HD textures right away just crashes DromEd. And he did mention, it's a memory issue. I have 16GB of RAM

on my system so maybe I need to change a setting in one of the cfg files so DromEd can use more memory that it can handle. It's not getting enough memory I guess.

ZylonBane

hold on, imma try something

Quote Originally Posted by mcmike1489 View Post
    It's best to load the HD textures first before loading the fan mission I want to edit/create because loading a fan mission with the HD textures right away just crashes DromEd.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.
    Ok...

It’s quite possible that the mission simply uses a palette that is too large, once everything is replaced with an HD version. But, here’s one thing you could try:

Load the mission without hd textures. Drop all the unused textures, and save as a new .mis file (or .cow). Then switch back to HD textures, and try to load the file. Might not work, as even the used textures might be too much for dromed to handle.

You could also downsize the HD textures.

Maybe if we had a better idea what your end goal is, we could offer more helpful alternatives.

It’s quite possible that the mission simply uses a palette that is too large, once everything is replaced with an HD version. But, here’s one thing you could try:

Load the mission without hd textures. Drop all the unused textures, and save as a new .mis file (or .cow). Then switch back to HD textures, and try to load the file. Might not work, as even the used textures might be too much for dromed to handle.

You could also downsize the HD textures.

Maybe if we had a better idea what your end goal is, we could offer more helpful alternatives.
    Thank you, but at this time. I'm just experimenting to learn something new. I'm not an advanced DromEd user, just at the beginner/intermediate level. This will help for now.