TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: THREAD OF HYPE

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    In my mind, someone makes a game like that because they're driven by the vision, so the audience doesn't play too much into it, except in the sense that if nobody expressed interest it'd push on their self-doubt. But if they have a really good idea of what they want to do, like this guy apparently does since the game is pretty good at sticking to its vision, then I think that's not the problem.

I think that type of game is not made that often because it's not going to come from a studio, but from an individual, and they're more limited in what they can make and how fast they can make it. I've made design docs for two or three games like this myself, but I have so many projects I want to do I don't know when I'd get to them, and they wouldn't come quickly, and not all three.
    I have quite a few of those myself. A few I'm pretty damn sure would be successful too. But I'm limited by my skill set + I am only one person. So I stick to the games I know / am pretty sure I can do.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    Tentatively Hyped: System Shock, Blackout Club, YS IX (this moves to mega-hyped if it they let Xseed handle the western PC version instead of NISA)
    In bad news NISA are publishing Trails of Cold Steel 3 and so far they've only announced it for PS4.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

yay looking forward to this, Yakuza 0 was great.

Southquarter.com/fms
    I didn't know Days Gone had an actual release date now (April 26th). It looks fun, the game itself feels similar to Last of Us (albeit with an open world) with a little bit of Dying Light is thrown in for good measure. I kinda wonder if the motorcycle maintenance stuff (basically crafting) will be an unwanted grind or not. Either way, I'll definitely be picking this up:

Speaking of gearhead games, I was wondering who was ever going to make a game for building cars. It's part of the same itch I get from Zachtronics games... I want to tool around with logically connecting functional parts and optimize them for performance, just for something that, you know, actually performs afterwards, like a car. And Car Mechanic Simulator 201X isn't scratching that itch since it's just random & oversimplified repair.

Then today I saw there was a car building game getting great reviews, Automation, and just recently (apparently) it got into a deal with the BeamNG.drive devs so you can drive your creation in an open world car sandbox, and suddenly this is the best thing ever I have to get... I mean as soon as they both go on sale. Let's be reasonable.
    Last edited by demagogue; 30th Jan 2019 at 07:12.

Thing What Kicks
    Have you played Factorio Dema? That may also appeal to you based on what you typed above.

It's in my queue. I even installed it on my HD a few weeks ago to give myself more incentive to get to it, but gotten to it I've yet to do. Well I did about 30 minutes of tutorial before realizing I'm going to need a bigger weekend to give it the time it deserves.

Edit: The other thing that hits this kind of gameplay is Buildcraft and the other mods like it for Minecraft.
    Last edited by demagogue; 30th Jan 2019 at 09:46.

Thing What Kicks
    It's very compelling, although it can get a bit overwhelming later on, especially with the need to constantly do-over your whole production line as new techs become available.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Crackdown 3 is out in 2 weeks (Feb 15th) and has no hype.

I'm not expecting much, just as well it goes to Xbox Game Pass on day 1. I might give it go when I do a month-long sub to play Gears 5 campaign when that's out.

Chakat sex pillow
    Okay, that hurts. Almost all of the destruction tech's been chucked out the window, and that was the fundamental selling point of the game. It doesn't look like the rest of the components are going to make up for the loss in spectacle. I never thought it was smart to build a physics foundation on a set of cloud computing servers that could always be decommissioned/scaled down based on network load and business requirements in a game that deals with decommissioning things (with a decommissioner achievement! ooh, the irony).

As it stands, this now looks like a Tron-infused PS3/X360 game with a lot of really nice particle effects. And this is probably a bug, but outside of ambient occlusion, none of the characters cast shadows. When anyone's carrying an object, like a rock or whatever, it casts a ground shadow, but the entity carrying it does not. Bit of a weird thing to miss this close to release.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 2nd Feb 2019 at 02:59.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

The cloud-based destruction was always advertised as being a versus MP feature... even that's been downgraded. IIRC they hyped up an entirely destructible CITY and here all we have is arena maps.

Chakat sex pillow
    That makes sense, I only now remember that the much-hyped destruction video mentioned that it'd be multiplayer-only, so it's good that that ridiculous destruction is still there even if it's not at as large a scale as they initially showcased. I can see why they stuck it in PvP-only arena maps, because it limits the amount of persistent physics objects they'd need to track to a manageable sealed-off area. Pragmatic, but disappointing.

Well Subnautica: Below Zero just came out. I didn't even know I was supposed to be hyped for this, but ... Subnautica + ice + more pretty scenery + more open sea exploration + more mysterious story. What's not to love? (All I know is the release trailer and skimming a few early reviews. So don't quote me on anything!)

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    What's not to love?
    The fact that it's an unfinished Early Access game?

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-U...below-zero/faq
    How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?

Throughout Early Access, we will release a sequence of updates that add new content to the game. Initially, you will only be able to play in the starting zone and surrounding Biomes. Future updates will add new vehicles (like the Hover Bike), new biomes, and new story areas. Bugs will be steadily reduced and performance steadily increased.
    What is the current state of the Early Access version?

Below Zero offers 1-2 hours of story play time. Starting environments are richly detailed, voice acting is present, and bugs are frequent but often not gamebreaking. Performance (frame rates) is poor relative to what we want in the finished game.

Interestingly, Subnautica was the first game (for me, well ok, 2nd after Mount & Blade, ok ok, 3rd after Minecraft & M&B ... just the first one in a while) where the early access model worked for me. It was pretty fun even in the early versions, and each update kept making it better and better. What raised the red flag for me with this one wasn't that it's early access per se, it's some of the reviewers saying, yes it has what the original had and is adding more, but it doesn't have the same magic or charisma.

That's what kept me coming back to the original, even in its early versions, the mystery of you on this alien planet, the burning husk of your ship in the distance, and things seeming to happen around you without you fully understanding them (in a good way). If S:BZ doesn't have that same aura that pulls you into its world ... well it could still be a good game for exploration, base building, and have a good story ... I don't want to prejudge. But I don't think I'll be getting the early access version because of that. At least I have faith that it will really improve, because the devs were really good about regular & constructive updates with the original.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Beamdog and publisher (The Walking Dead author Robert Kirkman's) Skybound Games are bringing ports of their enhanced editions of Baldur's Gate 1, 2, BG1 expansion Siege of Dragonspear, Planescape Torment, Icewind Dale 1 and Neverwinter Nights 1 to Nintendo Switch (also PS4 + Xb1)! Classic RPGs on the go without having to buy a tablet.
    https://nichegamer.com/2019/02/07/co...inter-nights/?

This is real hype!

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    Beamdog and publisher (The Walking Dead author Robert Kirkman's) Skybound Games are bringing ports of their enhanced editions of Baldur's Gate 1, 2, BG1 expansion Siege of Dragonspear, Planescape Torment, Icewind Dale 1 and Neverwinter Nights 1 to Nintendo Switch (also PS4 + Xb1)! Classic RPGs on the go without having to buy a tablet.
    https://nichegamer.com/2019/02/07/co...inter-nights/?

This is real hype!
    That is awesome. I've never played any of those games and have been recently thinking about getting Baldur's Gate. Now I'll gladly wait for this. Hopefully the prices are reasonable.

Chakat sex pillow
    I was stoked, but then... a remake of a beloved Zelda game, but with a cutesy Animal Crossing aesthetic? Ooookay.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Out April 9th, from the original developers of Burnout (left EA, formed indie studio). It looks like they've taken things back to basics, as you would expect from an indie studio.
    https://www.dualshockers.com/dangero...out-successor/

The crash mode is an entirely separate game, that's disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    I was stoked, but then... a remake of a beloved Zelda game, but with a cutesy Animal Crossing aesthetic? Ooookay.
    Let me guess, you were one of the ones bitching about Wind Waker's look before release too, amirite?

PC Gamering Smartey Man

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    but with a cutesy Animal Crossing aesthetic? Ooookay.
    Going by memory it looks artistically in-line with the original 8-bit Zeldas.

Fine. Will this make people happier, then? https://www.usgamer.net/articles/hol...ksong-revealed

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    Going by memory it looks artistically in-line with the original 8-bit Zeldas.
    I don't think I've ever associated the NES/SNES/GB Zelda sprites with rubber dolls.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415 ... LastLast