TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 381318232425262728

Thread: Dishonored 2

That's disappointing to hear about Dishonored 2's story. I only just recently completed Dishonored 1 and was pleasantly surprised at the quality of its story. I wouldn't call it a masterpiece, exactly (and the 'twist' was evident from about a mile off), but at least it didn't make me want to stab my ears with sharp objects - unlike, say, Dark Messiah's. Shame to hear Arkane seem to have regressed back to that level of juvenile drivel.

I'd actually describe Dishonored 2 the same way as you describe the first game, N'Al. I definitely don't think the writing is bad, and for me it succeeds in building up an economically and socially callous world that brutalises its inhabitants. It's not the kind of writing that does a great job of bringing characters to life, but as an additional means of colouring in the world I think it's absolutely adequate.

Chakat sex pillow
    I concur with that assessment. It's certainly not at the same level of Thief, but the writing is functional enough to give you a decent amount of geopolitical context to the world and situation you're in. The Heart is mostly redundant - I stopped caring after a while since it's, as noted, fairly one-note.

I could take or leave the entire plot, but the world's take on the stark dichotomies of old-fashioned imperial colonialism mixed in with the fantastical is still an intriguing blend of hard-edged malice for me. It's that flavour that impels me to continue along with touring the fantastic environments.

Can't say I've had a problem with the writing in any Arkane game.

If you didn't, I can only assume you must've had cotton wool in your ears whilst playing Dark Messiah.

As for Dishonored 2, I guess I will see myself soon enough, so thanks for your counterpoints, Thirith and Sulphur.

I had no problem with the writing in D2, nor the gameplay, nor the graphics, etc. I enjoyed the game thoroughly. For cryin' out loud, what game doesn't have repetitive NPC lines in the script? Skyrim is one of my all-time favorites, yet the NPC's repetitive lines in that game were enough to make me wish I could just mute them all after awhile. I'm still hoping (beyond hope) that Arkane will produce another Dishonored game; beats the last two Thief games, hands-down.

What are they working on now anyway, anybody know?
    Last edited by N'Al; 11th Feb 2019 at 09:13.

I'm not really convinced that the writing in D2 is much worse than the first game. The only difference is there's a bit more of it thanks to the voiced protagonists.

The big difference is that it tells us of great things happening in the background without us participating in them (in a cheap Bethesda Studios/Elder Scrolls style). Even more so with Death of the Outsider. You're about to kill the bloody god, and all you do is a few ordinary missions and bam! You're in the void looking for the guy. There's no buildup, no huge effort.

That's fair, the pacing was definitely missing a certain something in the sequels, whereas the first one has that feel of getting deeper into something.

The writing in Arkane games is just an excuse go get up to hijinx, anyway. It's not like they're Obsidian or someone where the way you interact with the story makes or breaks the game.

True. Doesn't mean Dark Messiah's story isn't shit, though.

I liked Dark Messiah's villain. Maybe I'm just a sucker for antagonists whose motivation is to save the world.

Wait till you get to the DLC for Dishonored 2. I played that total chaos and it just felt completely wrong. Plot wise if you'ved played the main campaign to the end you'll know that the majority of the opponents for the first 1/2 of the game aren't even bad guys. After that its fine. I was half half on the dlc for DH2 overall. The one for DH1 in comparison was great.

Who isn't an enemy?

Quote Originally Posted by N'Al View Post
    What are they working on now anyway, anybody know?
    https://www.pcgamesn.com/dishonored-...-2-multiplayer

So I guess we do the now-usual thing and wait for the cash grab to tank so the publisher lets them return to what they do best?

Looks like my future is going to be mainly indie games and Nintendo.

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 381318232425262728