TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Pre-frob tooltips?

Pre-frob tooltips?

So I was thinking, I have a little pet peeve about FMs with lots of new resources being unpredictable when you frob something.
    Like, say in a new FM you can pick up chairs to use to climb, I would hate if I saw it highlight, then now I have a loud object I have to drop. Maybe a bad example, but you get the gist.

So is it possible to have on screen text, maybe near your light gem, say what you want when highlighting any object? I prefer it be be hierarchy friendly, that way I can go to the tip-top of doors archetype and put in "Open" on world highlight. This way you know even if something is not covering a door-way you still can see it say open.

If it's too much trouble I'll leave it be, but there will be small trinkets and new large objects that do things you may not suspect when frobbed. The previous example can say "Pick up" for items that don't go into your inventory. "Take" for inventory. I figure if it's archetypes friendly, I can take care of all very fast.

Thank you all.

You can make the items 'FocusPlaques' with FocusScript, such then when highlit you'd see text displayed on screen. The text wouldn't go over the light gem, but rather at the top of the screen, much like a regular plaque. Would that be acceptable?

I did something this for some elevator buttons in a mission I'm working on now---When highlit, the buttons would display which floor they'll take you to. I can PM you the technical setup if you like.

Yeah the text placement might be okay but with a script involved, I get nervous, I'm a noob there. I wouldn't ask you to show your tech, unless I can put whatever you're setup is, in the top of the object archetype hierarchy, and then hit "hierarchy OP" to have it replicate the prop through all of, let's say treasure, to say "take".

I suppose if I can't skip labor, I might only do the objects that need it most. I didn't want it to be a distraction, so I will see if it can be mostly ignored but if the player wants, they can be sure of what they are about to do by glancing up.

It's quite easy to set up. I'm on the road now, but I'll PM you my set up when I get home. (I'm a noob too )

oh no worries, I will look into what you have already mentioned and mess around with it. If I'm lost I'll pm you, thanks!!

The Training script printed red text at the top of the screen in the first two or three OMs. I've never used it before but it might be what you are looking for. When a player simply looks at a specific object the text appears. I think thought it works only on Normal difficulty.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    I would just use the NVOnscreenText script, triggered by focus.

Okay plenty of info here, I'll consider this closed. Thanks everyone.

ZylonBane
    It's closed when we say it's closed.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post

Sorry to be off topic, but I just wanted to congratulate you ZB for having the most posts at TTLG.

BTW thank you all. I took time to learn script stuff finally and I'm getting such a better understanding. Now, trefoilknot, did you mean that in your setup, you got the script to be on the lower part of the screen?