TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Scripts: tnhScript 2.1 [final] Public Scripts 2.1 [second test]

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    The brush, light and ambient limits would be great to break free from as well. Ill send you a gift for every limit you manage to increase. Seriously.

I'll chip in on those gifts. Just let me know, Yandros.

Wouldn't such a thing involve getting the players to update their Thief2s? It's hard enough getting them to install custom scripts

And we're forgetting that IIRC hacking DromEd is a lot easier than hacking Thief2.exe as well, since DromEd was compiled with the debug info in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    I think people would be very pleased if you could increase the hard-coded onscreen poly (1024) limit
    I did some work on that a few weeks ago.

Before After

Unfortunately there is also a 768 cell-in-view limit, which appears in a lot more parts of the code.
    Normally the game crashes at this limit, but it can be turned into a non-crashing limit (still doesn't render more polys though ).

Example

This works in both dromed.exe and thief2.exe

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    Wouldn't such a thing involve getting the players to update their Thief2s? It's hard enough getting them to install custom scripts
    I think you should be able to patch the thief2.exe at runtime from a custom script module.
    Obviously that only works for missions that include that module. Or you could make a custom build of DDFix that includes the fix.

And we're forgetting that IIRC hacking DromEd is a lot easier than hacking Thief2.exe as well, since DromEd was compiled with the debug info in it.
    thief2.exe contains a subset of the dromed.exe code (I think).
    Once you have a fix working in dromed, you can search for the same part in thief2 and fix it in a similar manner (obviously the addresses are different).

I also made a script for changing game speed (in thief2) and turning rain on/off.
    I wouldn't consider it stable though (how many versions of the patched 1.18 exes are there?)

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Oh God, that brings tears to me eyes! I never thought I'd see that whole castle in one shot. Please keep working on this!

Even this is just a beginning (or am I wrong ? ), this is absolutely amazing. How did you this?

Quote Originally Posted by Kanditter View Post
    Unfortunately there is also a 768 cell-in-view limit, which appears in a lot more parts of the code.
    Normally the game crashes at this limit, but it can be turned into a non-crashing limit (still doesn't render more polys though ).thief2.exe contains a subset of the dromed.exe code (I think).
    Great work so far! I think both authors and players would praise you to no end (or at least until we get used to it and demand more ) if you made this work.

The problem is missions created with a modified Dromed would be unplayable in an unmodded Thief. Some(many)one will inevitably try to play a no-limit mission which will result in Bad Things™ happening. There's no reliable way to prevent this.

And many of the limits are enforced because of fixed-size buffers. AnimLights, for instance. Nothing you can do about that.

I think you should be able to patch the thief2.exe at runtime from a custom script module.
    Obviously that only works for missions that include that module. Or you could make a custom build of DDFix that includes the fix.
    OSMs load too late for that. And DDFix doesn't patch anything, it's just an emulation layer over DDraw.

(this zlib bug is mocking me... I can ignore the error, I just can't avoid the error.)

Quote Originally Posted by Telliamed View Post
    The problem is missions created with a modified Dromed would be unplayable in an unmodded Thief. Some(many)one will inevitably try to play a no-limit mission which will result in Bad Things™ happening. There's no reliable way to prevent this.
    Well, there is. Something similar to Version.osm?

Well, there is. Something similar to Version.osm?
    OSMs load too late for that.

vb will probably get mad if I don't type something. What do you all think about the GFH? It's always annoyed me that it doesn't accept keypad numbers. Only 6 digits allowed. And how many times have you typed "dddda" into a number field? There's gotta be a way to improve that.

NV, have you ever gotten CapabilityControl or SetPlayerVolume to do anything?

Oh, right.

Accepting numeric keypad input for the coordinates would be great, as would more decimal places in some circumstances.

And no, I can't say I've ever tried those two functions.

And many of the limits are enforced because of fixed-size buffers. AnimLights, for instance. Nothing you can do about that.
    How about:
    1. Create a larger array in a DLL.
    2. Point all offsets into the old array to the new array.

Seems to work... (with my build of DDFix) I can see the data at the expected locations in a debugger.
    Anyway I'm just experimenting a bit.
    Last edited by Kanditter; 13th Jun 2009 at 10:54.

now thats nice
    great work !

@Kanditter:
    Very interesting!

For the record:
    1. Does that work in Thief2.exe as well or is it DromEd-only?
    2. Would this mean there is actually a way to increase the maximum number of polygons?

Quote Originally Posted by Kanditter View Post
    How about:
    1. Create a larger array in a DLL.
    2. Point all offsets into the old array to the new array.
    I feel like a broken record.
    I can't approve of anything that will knowingly cause someone's computer to fail.

And even so, with monkey patching like that it's damn difficult to be sure you've covered all of the indices. You'll eventually blow a buffer somewhere. Srsly people, if you want a high-poly engine, there's plenty of those to choose from. Stop trying to turn Thief into something not Thief.

Dóttirin klęšist oft móšur möttli
    Just to let you know: In Working the Mines, the author used the script TrapSMTrans on terrpts. This is working fine with the old Gaylesaver script module but not with the Public Script module.
    It's not important since nobody is using this script any more. Just a reminder for fixing old FMs.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123