TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: name one mission theme you would like to see more of in fan missions

Nicked, you made a very good point about the specific nature of Mechanists. However, I think I can agree with you only partially. It is true that Mechanists are a little bit different from other factions present in Thief series. They rely heavily on technology and they did not exist within the time frame of Thief 1. So it is quite natural that missions with Mechanists are mostly related to warehouses, banks, mines, factories, and other settings that facilitate the use of bots and cameras. That being said, please remember that if you create a good storyline that makes sense from the logical point of view (so no time travel and such things), you can put Mechanists in literally any kind of mission. Here are some examples:

Mechanists vs Hammerites.

Mechanists vs Pagans/Maw creatures (Trail of Blood).

Mechanists and lost civilizations (Kidnap).

Mechanists vs Undead. Perfectly possible, what about a Mechanist expedition into Bonehoard? Or Mechanists trying to rebuild the Old Quarter?

Mechanists vs Mages. A conflict between terrestrial technology and supernatural magic sounds like a very good idea.

Mechanists vs Thieves. As we know, Karras used bodies of the city rabble in order to make Mechanical servants. A mission exploring this theme further (coupled with sewer exploration and City Watch) could be interesting.

Mechanists and air technology.

Mechanists and water technology/Pirates/submarines.

Mechanists and warehouse.

Mechanists and mine.

Mechanists and factory.

Mechanists and bank.

Mechanists as temporary residents of a mansion (Mystery/Detective type of mission).

Escape from Mechanist prison.

Mechanists and city exploration.

Mechanists and horror.

Mechanists and forced ghosting (with lots of marble and cameras as additional challenges).

Well now I want to make a Mechanist mission.

huge mansions with occult stories like the obvious rowenas curse style fm

aemanyl you forgot Mechanists vs dewdrop

flying age was probably best Mechanists story

Dewdrop is a Pagan doll.

but aemanyl what did the pagan girl say about dewdrop= "he dont like Mechanists"

ty purgator for that amazing pic

Mechanists as temporary residents of a mansion (Mystery/Detective type of mission).
    Okay, this sounds pretty sweet. It doesn't have to involve mechanists though.

Quote Originally Posted by marbleman View Post
    Okay, this sounds pretty sweet. It doesn't have to involve mechanists though.
    I was thinking about "Rowena's Curse" here. If I recall correctly (I forgot the exact storyline), this mission involves the City Watch temporarily staying in the mansion because they are investigating a crime case or something like that.

There is also Eternauta's The Last Lighthouse Keeper, where Garrett investigates a crime case while Hammerites are staying at the mansion. Much heavier emphasis on investigation, without removing or affecting core Thief gameplay.

Speaking of Eternauta and things I'd like to see more of in missions:

In both The Last Lighthouse Keeper and Kingsbridge, Eternauta allows you to complete the mission... but get it wrong. In both missions, if you don't understand the entire situation and take the right actions based on that understanding, you can get a bad ending (Kingsbridge) or a less-good ending (Lighthouse Keeper).

I don't know of many missions where the ending reflects the player's decisions. Instead, a mission will usually just prevent the player from finishing if they don't get it "right."

I know this isn't in direct line with the thread as it's more of a gameplay mechanic rather than a theme, but it's still something I'd love to see more of in missions.

@Twist: Try Lingering Whispers.

I'd like to see more missions with complex ethical dilemmas and "Don't steal anything" objectives.

Anything with water. Canals, sewers, underground pipes. Actually, a harbor mission would be great. Maybe I will do that if I ever finish my current TG mission.

I would like to see normal Thief mission, but during day time.

Quote Originally Posted by Galaer View Post
    I would like to see normal Thief mission, but during day time.
    How about Life of the Party during day time + rain?

Quote Originally Posted by Aemanyl View Post
    How about Life of the Party during day time + rain?
    I would actually prefer First City Bank & Trust during day time. With the whole day time activity like noble clients waiting to be served and people working in the offices.

Also without rain. I want to see some sun.

IŽd like to see more Trail of Blood type missions - pagans, apemen, portals, forest, river.
    Trail of Blood has a great atmosphere (cool ambient music) and nice storyline. Mechanists killing villagers and letters that tell dirty details of Sheriff Gorman Truart.

Also I think there should be more ratmen in Fan Missions.

I like ruined\abandoned cities missions. Better Tomorrow by DRK is the winner for me. I hope we get more of that kind of fanmissions.

Theme around Hand Brotherhood mages seems largely untouched, alongside their off-spring that deal with darker side of necromancer magic.

There is a huge uncharted territory which could be explored in campaign formate, further delving into the darker side of an infamous necromancer order, off-spring from Hand Brotherhood and supposely excommunicated because of their darker side, which supposely could be found in the mountains up north from The City, in a cold and snowy mountain themed area, where they safely and in isolation practice necromancy.

To this day wish that LGS had survived long enough so that they could have finished the Thief 2 Gold project on time and get it released, one of those gold missions were all about necromancy, while main goal was to add a horror theme to Thief 2 which it lacked, I could see a theme around these two orders mixed up, like why did Hand Brotherhood and the necromancer order split up, basically we know nothing so that opens up a lot of room to make your own storyline come alive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12