TTLG|Jukebox|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910

Thread: Arkane's Deathloop

Cool timing to see that. I just started making a new map (in the Unreal Engine) for the first time in a long time, not just aimlessly noodling around. So it's fun to listen to talk about level design.

Arkane is kind of the last bastion of holistic level design, where you're playing the whole environment, at least the way the games in our tradition do it. But nice to see the DNA of our FMs in it explicitly mentioned. I'm really proud of our own little sliver of legacy in game design.

Administrator
    I watched the interview she did with GMTK on the Clockwork Mansion having no idea she was Digi - though I remember the getting hired by Arkane years ago. My excuse is rather sporadic forum reading...

Big update today which adds photo mode and, more importantly for me, what they call "accessibility" options but as far as I can tell amount to the tweakable difficulty stuff that is in their other recent games.

Gameplay accessibility options

- Number of Reprises
    Players can now choose between 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, or infinite reprises (Single Player only)
    Increase or decrease the difficulty of the game by choosing how many times Colt can die before the loop is reset. For example, zero reprises means that the loop will reset the first time Colt dies.
    Online or Friends modes will always require the 2-reprise default setting

- Aim assist lock
    Full aim assist lock on NPC, Camera, and turrets is now available when enabling this setting (Single Player only)
    When this setting is enabled, using the controls to aim a weapon (for most weapons) will cause the crosshairs to snap to the target and lock on. This can improve targeting enemies during in gameplay and is disabled by default.

- Hacking mode
    Players can now change the input for hacking from a Hold (default) to a toggle
    When set to a toggle, pressing once will begin the hacking and will auto complete after the timer has completed. Pressing a second time before it completes will cancel the hack.

- Aim mode
    Players can now change the input for aiming down sights from a Hold (default) to a toggle
    When set to a toggle, pressing once will enter aiming down sights and pressing a second time will stop aiming down sights

- One shot kills
    When this new setting is enabled, all enemies (NPC, cameras, turrets) are killed instantly when hit with a weapon shot, machete or grenade (Single Player only)

- Combat difficulty
    Three preset combat difficulty options are now available: Lenient, Default and Harsh (Single player only)
    On higher difficulty settings, enemies attack more often and are more accurate
    Only the Default setting is available for Online or Friends modes

- Lock loop stress
    Enabling this new setting will remove the difficulty increase linked to the loop stress augmentation system
    When this option is disabled, the game will automatically adjust difficulty based on the player’s success in killing visionaries, leading to increased difficulty when multiple visionaries have been killed in the same loop. This setting is set to disabled by default.

- Adjust Game Speed
    This new setting will reduce the speed of the game, from default (100%) to either 75% or 50% speed (Single Player Only)
    Combat, player movement and enemy animations are all impacted by this setting

- Adjust Game Speed mode
    When the Game Speed is set to either 75% or 50%, this new setting allows players to choose whether the mode is set to Always or Toggl
    View the binding for this toggle in the Controls menu for both keyboard and controller

- Pause game while wheels active
    Enabling this new setting will cause the game to pause when a player activates the weapon wheel (Single Player Only)

- Tag multiple enemies
    Enabling this new setting will tag multiple nearby enemies in a radius around the player or in line of sight (Single Player Only)
    When this setting is disabled, only the targeted enemy will be tagged

I saw Digi posting a screenshot of a massive Steam download on Twitter, and I was wondering why anyone would ever post that. Now I understand it's like a parent posting her kid's school photo, except it's a root commit.

Deathloop got a giant update today: crossplay over all platforms, new weapon and power, new trinkets, a new area in Karl’s Bay, lots of bug fixes and accessibility options, and, maybe best of all, an extended ending! I admit I went to YouTube to watch it, and for me it felt like a more satisfying conclusion although I still wish we’d have been able to get to know all these interesting characters in a context other than violence.

That said, in firing it up to check out the other changes, I’d forgotten how great the controls feel, how beautifully designed the levels are, and, really, how I missed being in that world. I suppose story expansion DLC is off the table, but I’d buy it day one. Meantime I might spend a few days on the PVP — it’s still fun and there should be an influx of new Xbox players to torment.

It's now on Xbox Gamepass too, for both console and PC.

we will have Dana Nightingale as a guest again so feel free to ask her any questions about her work on Dishonored 1/2 and Deathloop HERE IN OUR THREAD or directly under the YouTubeVideo

Playing this finally, and it's really good so far. I wish it would be a little more signposted that there's no reason to faff around until you get Infusion (and that the game is basically a tutorial until then), because I wasted the better part of 8 hours getting to that point, but other than that it's been amazing so far. Feels a bit like an open world game, except that instead of exploring a pointlessly large map you're exploring the 4th dimension in slick, hand-crafted levels.

It occurred to me that Deathloop's levels are in a way more like old Thief's than most games in recent memory. They're nonlinear and they all have multiple starting points and multiple entry points to their important locations. I don't remember every level from Dishonored, but my sense is that in general they were more linear.

Dishonored has some levels that are more linear, but by and large I would call their levels as nonlinear as Thief's levels. The multiple entry points you mention are definitely there with most Dishonored levels, and once you've entered a target building you generally can approach it in any order you like. The levels I remember right now that are more linear are the first and final ones.

I'd say the first Dishonored+DLC and maybe DotO probably have slightly smaller levels than Deathloop, but DH2 has pretty massive open-ended maps. Prey+Mooncrash are kind of linear in some ways, but the maps feel like they have natural entrance/exit points based on how a space station/moon station would be designed as opposed to something like Skyrim where the linearity of the dungeons seems super contrived.

On a side note, I've grabbed a couple unique weapons and no slabs at this point so I'm not very far into the game, but to this point the game has been fun as hell. It's not forcing me out my comfort zone, which I guess would be one "negative", but it's doing a good job of letting me play my usual ImSim style of sneaking around and isolating enemies to dispatch silently while occasionally using turrets and mines to set up ambushes. The AI is kind of dumb, but they have actually surprised me a few times FEAR-style where I thought I had covered all the entrances/exits to an area and they managed to avoid them and get behind me before I realized it.

Are you playing with invasions?

No, from what I've seen the invasion stuff is kind of wonky. I may invade some other people's games then go back and enable it on a subsequent playthrough.

Honestly, between the number of times I kill myself and the times the game throws up something unexpected (just got murderized by the reactor) I find I'm dying just enough that it's annoying sometimes. And it always seems to happen on runs where I begin by killing Juliana, grabbing her power upgrade, then losing it because someone gets a lucky kill or I miss a ledge I'm shifting/jumping to later in the level.
    Last edited by Jason Moyer; 20th Oct 2022 at 11:58.

Yeah, I think that's what I did too. I enjoyed them, though I see how they can ruin a run in frustrating ways. But it's a cool concept for 1v1 combat that reminds me of some of the Jedi Knight LAN PvP I had fun with.

I recommend enabling invasions; they’re some of the most tense and exciting gameplay you’ll get. Yeah, sometimes you get screwed, but you have to take it in stride. The game is pretty heavily biased toward Colts anyway.

Man, this game is really special. It feels to me like they took everything they learned building spiritual successors to the classic ImSims and came up with a fairly original way to put it all together. The moment to moment gameplay feels a ton like Dishonored, in terms of movement/stealth/powers/combat/exploration, but the way the game is structured seems really creative/intelligent to me. Ostensibly, the game is just that small intro area and 4 small to medium sized levels, yet 30 hours into the game I'm still discovering locations in the maps that I haven't seen before, and finding relationships between different events (i.e. do this in the morning at one location, and something happens in another map later in the day) that I didn't know about and which aren't always obvious. The game signposts the main quests for killing the visionaries and finding the unique weapons/powers, but almost everything else gets noted in your journal and is left for you to figure out. There are even small little ImSim things that made me feel smart when I figured them out, like when I was scrounging for batteries in a map for the 20th time and didn't feel like wandering all over looking for them again, ended up being crouched behind a turret and taking a look at the model up close for the first time, and realized I could just yank them out of turrets/nullifiers. Managing to carry one of Frank's door passes that removes your powers (including the ability to respawn) into another map at another time of day to open a door felt like a real achievement after several hours of being unstoppable.

I dunno, it's a good game.

I didn't do all of the sidequests, but I just finished the game and all of the arsenal quests. It was great. I went on YT and watched the extended ending vs the original one, and don't really see how the new ending is better. I guess I don't really understand this thing where stories can't just end when all of the important bits are wrapped up. I didn't see any ambiguity in where Colt and Julianna's relationship is depending on what you do. And the extended bit not only moved the focus from that relationship, it massively changed the tone of that particular ending, which is weird.

Actually, I'm just going to flat out say that the extended ending *makes the story worse*.

spoiler:
    Julianna tells you throughout the game that you've done all of this before - including breaking the time loop. Past Colt scolds you for being unable to love or change as a person. I read the ending where you break the loop as being a continuation of exactly what Colt has been doing over and over, and all that's going to happen is that he's going to start the loop back up again.

In the other ending, Colt finally grows as a person and fixes his relationship with his daughter. He learns how to love again. The ending where he stays in the time loop is the only one where anything changes. Julianna's reaction emphasizes this, since she's genuinely surprised that Colt did something he hadn't done before.

And they replaced that with Colt rides into the sunset with the dudes he's been killing for the past 40 hours, whose motivations and personalities aren't fleshed out any more than they were in the original story, because the people who play our games are stupid and can't handle anything beyond that..

Edit: Christ, I just read an article on Polygon bitching about the original ending. It has the line "Why does one of the Colt duplicates have a mustache when all the other Colts have a beard? How can a beard grow in the loop? It doesn’t make any damn sense!" Erm, yeah, there's a reason past Colts have different appearances. They're from previous timeloops. Maybe I'm wrong here, but it seemed super obvious to me, while playing the game, that there was a meta-loop where Colt kept leaving and re-entering the anomaly - and the writer did about as much as he couldn to convey this without explicitly explaining it. The past-Colts (both their appearance and dialog), Julianna's constant "yeah, I remember when you did in the last timeloop" nagging. That's why Julianna is surprised when Colt doesn't break the loop, it means he's done something different this time. And I think I'm reading the other original ending differently than most people; her reaction, to me, is basically "god damn it dad, we're doing this shit again?" not "I should kill you for real because you ruined my good time in the loop", and the reason she doesn't kill you is because she knows Colt is just going to start the loop again.
    Last edited by Jason Moyer; 25th Oct 2022 at 03:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Aja View Post
    I recommend enabling invasions; they’re some of the most tense and exciting gameplay you’ll get. Yeah, sometimes you get screwed, but you have to take it in stride. The game is pretty heavily biased toward Colts anyway.
    I just did around a half-dozen invasions as Julianna. I don't mean this as an exaggeration; Deathloop has to have the worst multiplayer code of any game I've ever played. I played the hell out of Quake and Descent on a 14.4 modem and never experienced anything like the way this game handles latency.

On PC? I played through the main game on PS5 with invasions enabled and got invaded somewhat regularly, and it didn't seem too laggy to me. A few times I was even able to win by kicking, Dunkey-style.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I played on PS5 and invasions were laggy as fuuuuuuuuuck. Got killed every time I got invaded. Could barely even see my invaders before I was dead. Then again that's probably because I got NAT type 3 and can't change it.

I was lucky in that invasions worked just fine on my PC. I died frequently, but that's because I'm not very good at PvP.

They're amazing about 1/4 of the time when the netcode is happy, the other times I get the thing where I'm dying because every couple seconds it re-syncs and resets my movement. Annoying as hell.

The cat and mouse game of trying to kill Colt though? Wow. I've played the entire campaign twice plus doing the golden loop a bunch of times for fun, so I know the gear/maps pretty well, and it's super fun figuring out what Colt is probably going to do or trying to trick them into doing something. I like leaving the antenna "unguarded" while watching from a distance, assuming the visionaries on the map are still alive, then watching where the player goes and following them until they get into a firefight with the AI on the way to fight a visionary. Then it's Strelak semi-auto shotgun to the back. It's also fun to play super aggressively sometimes since I unlocked Havoc early, and now Shift, just blinking as fast as I can towards the tunnels and enabling Havoc and Strelok'ing them face to face.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910